New Camera

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pinned topic on dSLRs a long time ago so you might want to browse through it. A bit dated but the general information is still valid.

dSLR Q&A

There is now a huge selection of advanced compact and inter-changeable lens mirrorless cameras; all of which offer as much control as a DSLR and many of which might serve as a better tool for someone learning the basics of photography.

yes, but those cameras do not meet the OP's requirement that they fit in his pocket.

Depends on the camera and the pocket.. My GF1 with a pancake lens would fit easily into a jacket pocket.

only one drowned, the other one I bought is fine.

Cameras which are taken to the water (diving, snorkeling, rafting..) should be naturally buoyant and do not sink to the bottom even in fresh water.

But I guess that's not always the case as the preferred camera should be small enough to put in to the pocket.

If the camera is sinkable, then one of these should do the trick if tied to the camera.

giant-rubber-duck-300x225.jpg

I'm looking to part with my excellent Canon G9. Great camera with great manual controls that shoots RAW too. Not sure what i'd want for it. Around 7k with the case i guess. I still have the box and stuff. A camera shop here in Bangkok offered me 6, but only so they could re-sell it for considerably more. The camera hasn't been used that much as i also have a 5D MK2. PM me if you're still looking.

Does not have to sink to drown.

my boy did not close it properly obviously before jumping in after he had just recharged the battery.

So you knew what would happen and bought 2.smile.pngbiggrin.png

No no no....my name is Billy Hunt...not that other guy.

I bought one, did not like it, my son asked if he could have it, I said ok.

I bought another better one that I liked for myself.....this is the one still working and should stay that way for a few years as long as son does not get hold of it and he knows not too.

I'm looking to part with my excellent Canon G9. Great camera with great manual controls that shoots RAW too. Not sure what i'd want for it. Around 7k with the case i guess. I still have the box and stuff. A camera shop here in Bangkok offered me 6, but only so they could re-sell it for considerably more. The camera hasn't been used that much as i also have a 5D MK2. PM me if you're still looking.

5d mk2 for a beginner is to much.

Olympus Tough TG-1 IHS 12MP Silver Digital Camera

Waterproof 12m, shock proof. Hard core camera great reviews

£259 here not sure there

Hope this helps

Can i manually focus using the lens?

There are lots in the tough range check out the website not 100%

I have compact and slr which has manual focus, got fed up with manual as I am rubbish at being patient enough to learn, good luck anyway happy clicking.

Waterproof, shock proof fab for Thailand as the conditions are rather extreme, very tough piece of kit. Especially around Songkran !!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's an interesting union. Sony knows how to innovate on cameras and make the best sensors; Olympus know the art of producing great cameras and lenses. A Sony sensor in an Olympus camera has produced the DPreview camera of the year (http://www.dpreview....of-2012-results) and the lenses rolled out by Olympus over the past year have been spectacular. It can't be long before their lens know-how translates into a better selection of lenses for the NEX series which is currently rather lacking.

The RX1 is a crazy price; but it's full frame and mirrorless and it's tiny and it's possibly the start of the future; and it's telling that it took Sony to make it rather than the old school of Canikon.

the full review of the O MD suggests it is the same sensor as a panasonic camera, where does it talk about a sony sensor?

It's an interesting union. Sony knows how to innovate on cameras and make the best sensors; Olympus know the art of producing great cameras and lenses. A Sony sensor in an Olympus camera has produced the DPreview camera of the year (http://www.dpreview....of-2012-results) and the lenses rolled out by Olympus over the past year have been spectacular. It can't be long before their lens know-how translates into a better selection of lenses for the NEX series which is currently rather lacking.

The RX1 is a crazy price; but it's full frame and mirrorless and it's tiny and it's possibly the start of the future; and it's telling that it took Sony to make it rather than the old school of Canikon.

the full review of the O MD suggests it is the same sensor as a panasonic camera, where does it talk about a sony sensor?

Olympus confirmed that the camera contains a Sony sensor last July. Many reviews reference the fact that the sensor comes from Sony. At the start of Micro Four Thirds, Olympus had a deal to use Panasonic sensors; but that deal has now expired and they have switched to Sony for their latest cameras.

I finally succumbed and bought the OM-D last week.

Did you get your camera ?? If so how is it ??

I am in the process of buying the canon s100.

If in Thailand, check World Camera. I have found them to have the lowest pricing on Canon Thailand warrantied products.

Just too late, Ouch!!

It is on it's way now as we post..

If in Thailand, check World Camera. I have found them to have the lowest pricing on Canon Thailand warrantied products.

@ Curt: As far as lenses is concerned, I can't agree on World Camera havin low prices. In a comparison for a Canon lens, they were the most expensive !!

(See attached file, which also give a good overview of online stores in LOS, especially BKK.

OnlineCameraShops.docx

@ Curt: As far as lenses is concerned, I can't agree on World Camera havin low prices. In a comparison for a Canon lens, they were the most expensive !!

(See attached file, which also give a good overview of online stores in LOS, especially BKK.

OnlineCameraShops.docx

Have you actually gone to, or called World Camera? The prices on their website are "list". Their in store, cash pricing is substantially lower.

After checking every store I could check, I bought my 10~22 MM at World Camera, for a couple thousand baht less than it's closest competitor.

Hi Curt,

no, I haven't been there. I was just referring to the prices on their websites. Do you think they would sell it to me for 62.500 (Difference to the cheapest is 16.500 Baht, not just a couple of thousands). I am going to buy this lens soon and I am glad about any comment on where to buy best smile.png

Called World Camera, Lad Phrao store. They quoted 73,000THB, or 68,700THB cash. Their Fortunetown store quoted 71,100, or 69,700 cash.

Both said they have one left in stock. These are new, factory warrantied lenses.

AV Camera should be Canon warrantied also.

I know Pix-One and Digital2Home sell grey market, with a "return-to-store-to-fix" warranty.

Although I am waiting for anticipated announcements from Canon, I am looking to buy a 7D soon (hopefully a "Mark II"). World Camera is about 3,000 baht less than everyone else I have checked, including the grey marketeers. Even if I had to pay a couple thousand more, Canon Thailand service is, IMO, worth it.

Edited by Curt1591