400,000 Baht For The Kids!

Limbo

The Rotary Club of Maechan has a "Smiling Child Fund".

And the area between Maechan and Maesai has a lot of children who are orphans. The cause of this is the fact that in the past a lot of women of this area worked in prostitution, got aids and died. Yes, you can put it all in one sentence which takes just a couple of seconds to write or read.

I wrote it and you red it, so let us keep it short. Tragedy or not, the life of their children as well as ours, goes on!

Most of these children are taken care of by their grandparents, the same who saw their daughters die of aids. These old people don't have money and these children have to go to school.

What do the parents normally have to pay?

A little fee, school uniforms, shoes, books and a contribution to the food!

What is the minimum they have to pay for a year to allow these kids to go to school?

No, not as much as you think, not as many professional help organizations want you to believe, namely not more than 3000 Baht! This amount is the difference between going to school or not.

No expensive houses have to be build for western help agents, no expensive 4WD cars have to be bought to bring this money to the schools, no, the members of the Rotary of Maechan, concerned Thai people, take care of it. And they know all the ins and outs.

This Sunday 400,000 Baht was raised, which, if I don't overestimate my arithmetic skills, is enough for 133 children for one year.

More information about what was done you find in the topic of Gerry1011 about the French artist Paul Beckrich.

And I am happy that several members of our forum found the way to the Iinsi Thai House.

I think I speak in the name of many of us when I say thanks Gerry 1011, thanks Paul!!!

Limbo.

The Rotary Club of Maechan has a "Smiling Child Fund".

And the area between Maechan and Maesai has a lot of children who are orphans. The cause of this is the fact that in the past a lot of women of this area worked in prostitution, got aids and died. Yes, you can put it all in one sentence which takes just a couple of seconds to write or read.

I wrote it and you red it, so let us keep it short. Tragedy or not, the life of their children as well as ours, goes on!

Most of these children are taken care of by their grandparents, the same who saw their daughters die of aids. These old people don't have money and these children have to go to school.

What do the parents normally have to pay?

A little fee, school uniforms, shoes, books and a contribution to the food!

What is the minimum they have to pay for a year to allow these kids to go to school?

No, not as much as you think, not as many professional help organizations want you to believe, namely not more than 3000 Baht! This amount is the difference between going to school or not.

No expensive houses have to be build for western help agents, no expensive 4WD cars have to be bought to bring this money to the schools, no, the members of the Rotary of Maechan, concerned Thai people, take care of it. And they know all the ins and outs.

This Sunday 400,000 Baht was raised, which, if I don't overestimate my arithmetic skills, is enough for 133 children for one year.

More information about what was done you find in the topic of Gerry1011 about the French artist Paul Beckrich.

And I am happy that several members of our forum found the way to the Iinsi Thai House.

I think I speak in the name of many of us when I say thanks Gerry 1011, thanks Paul!!!

Limbo.

Praise for Gerry’s and Paul's efforts on behalf of the children in the Mae Chan area is well deserved. Last Sunday’s successful event at the Insii Thai House was an elegant and enjoyable affair attended by many civic minded members of the Thai and expat communities. Equally commendable is the unique artistic and cultural experience provided to the young students during the last several months. Recognition should also go to the Chiang Rai Youth Violin Orchestra for their very impressive performance at the Garden Party and for The Legend’s delicious culinary offerings.

I must vigorously object, though, to your grossly inaccurate comments about the cost of educating poor students in Thailand. While 3,000 baht might be of great help it is far from adequate to cover the real costs of their annual education. This assertion sounds similar to the government’s claim that all Thai students receive 12 years of free education. Some of us (both Thais and farangs) have been supporting and advocating for Thai and hill tribe youth for many years – quietly without fanfare or publicity, without pushing religion, without 4-wheel drive vehicles, without erecting large buildings and without hidden agendas. We help because we believe it is the right thing to do – which, I suspect, is also the true motivation behind Gerry’s many acts of kindness and generosity.

Small acts often have the greatest impact.

Mymechew

I must vigorously object, though, to your grossly inaccurate comments about the cost of educating poor students in Thailand. While 3,000 baht might be of great help it is far from adequate to cover the real costs of their annual education.

Small acts often have the greatest impact.

Mymechew

Of course you are absolutely right Mymechew.

It only covers a necessary contribution of the parents, in these cases the grandparents.

Mainly shoes, schooluniforms and books.

Marginal but essential. I understand the 3000 Baht a year, not more and not less, can make the difference.

That's what makes your last statement so hundred procent true.

Limbo.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I am indeed very happy that next year my Rotary Club will be able to offer 126 scholarships (we were just a bit under 400.000 Baht donations).

This event has been really fantastic.

Paul, the artist, is a great man with an enormous heart.

After the event, we've had a conversation with the 11 students of the project, and we will help them to create their own workshop, with the help of Paul. He already agreed to come back in June.

If we can create a better future for these 11 students, using the artistic techniques of Paul, we will really have won.

I take this occasion to say that, whenever there is an event at Insii Thai House, the organisation of it might be costly, but nobody gets paid!

Every single person involved in our scultpure project offered his contribution on a voluntary basis to help the children.

This included Ajarn Paramet and his 38 violonists (!), the 101 dancers (!), the artist, the teachers of the Hill Tribes school, the Rotarians, and many more people...

For the ones of you close enough to me to know "Lek" (who is certainly not wealthy as a juweler would be), you might be surprised that he also wanted to donate something. He offered the sapphire and ruby which were fitted on the masterpiece. He polished them himself and did not want any money in exchange. I saw many acts of generosity in this project.

Even if there has been a big party at the end of the project, it really was about "sharing".

But for me, Paul and the students, only the presence of so many guests was already an enormous reward.

As I always say, the people who come at Insii Thai House to get some money push the wrong door. But if they want to give, we will give together with them.

The pictures are on www.insiithaihouse.tk , in the "Events" section.

Excellent job, congrats to all those involved, it's inspirational. :D

I've always wondered why a website such as this didn't take the time to help sponser a charity, it's something I would like to look into with my own site in the future. A simple Paypal donation button would do with some information on the charity, and regular updates on what our money has helped achieved. Simple no? :o

Excellent job, congrats to all those involved, it's inspirational. :D

I've always wondered why a website such as this didn't take the time to help sponser a charity, it's something I would like to look into with my own site in the future. A simple Paypal donation button would do with some information on the charity, and regular updates on what our money has helped achieved. Simple no? :o

It is a very good idea, as long as the people who donate can see where their money goes.

To be honest with you, I very rarely give money to charities, because I prefer to help the people around me and be sure a goal is reached.

I personaly chose to do everything through my local Rotary club, because there are many "witnesses", and I really see where the money ends up.

There is also something I try to do with the events I involve myself with: I don't ask money.

When there is money involved, it is always about "exchanges".

For this party, you could make a donation and receive a sculpture in exchange, participate in the lucky draw and have a chance to win a painting, buy a "secret box" for 1200b and have a chance to find a ring (worth 10.000b) in it, or bid at the auction and have a chance to go back home with a great masterpiece.

But every invited guest was welcomed to enjoy the party, the music, the show and the luxury dinner for free. There was no obligation to donate anything. To me, the presence of the guests at the party is already a donation.

My feeling is that many people are tired of making donations. It is good to find new ways to raise funds.

• 10 months later...

Last week Sunday the presentation of the beautifully illustrated book "Chao Phya Abhai Raja, Gustave Rolin-Jaquemyns" took place at Insii Thaihouse in Maechan.

As we all know: Belgian Gustave was General Advisor of H.M King Chulalongkorn and played an extremely important, if not crucial role after the Pak Nam incident in 1893, generally considered to have been planned as a pretext by the French to turn Siam into a French protectorate.

The thesis that this remarcable gentleman strongly contributed to saving the indepence of Thailand is very well defendable.

In the history of Siam/Thailand there are (as far as known to me) only two foreigners who advanced to the semi-noble position of 'Chao Phya': Phaulcon the Greek (during the reign of King Narai, the eighties of the seventeenth century) and Gustave the Belgian (during the reign of the Great King Chulalongkorn, the nineties of the nineteenth century). Until now Phaulcon catched the limelight.

May this book contribute to a greater knowledge about Gustave Rolin-Jaquemyns, probably the most important foreigner in Thailand ever, as he took part in writing its history.

Gerry1011, a descendant of Chao Phya Abhai Raja, published the book in a limited edition of 1000 copies. And he gives them away! :D

But not to everybody! Only to those who donate 1 scholarship to the 'Smiling Child' fund of the Rotary of Maechan. One scholarship for one student for one year is 3000 Baht.

At the end of the magnificent garden party at which the presentation of the book took place (as the number of real 'high society' members is limited in our area, many had been flown in from Bangkok, Singapore, Belgium and Chiang Mai), the announcement could be made: The first million Baht is raised!

A great event!

Limbo :o

The two identities of Gustave the Belgian:

post-6305-1169434153_thumb.jpg post-6305-1169434129_thumb.jpg

Gerry1011, a descendant of Chao Phya Abhai Raja, published the book in a limited edition of 1000 copies. And he gives them away! :o

But not to everybody! Only to those who donate 1 scholarship to the 'Smiling Child' fund of the Rotary of Maechan. One scholarship for one student for one year is 3000 Baht.

Where can we find Gerry and make the donation?

Where is this Iinsai House?

:D :D :D

Thank you very much, Limbo, for your comments about the book launch and garden party.

It has been a success, indeed.

More donations came after the party from people who could not be with us on that day, and I think that the Rotary's fund has now a bit more than 1.3 million. This will allow the Rotary of Maechan to help even more people.

I would like to take this opportunity to say, once again, that "everything is possible" in Chiangrai, as long as there is a bit of perseverance.

While some people have a tendency to say that nothing ever happens in our region, or that no such event can be successful in Chiangrai, we already proved a few times that it is not true.

I hope that many more original cultural events or innovative charity gatherings will take place in this province in the future.

For those who would like to be part of the book success, a copy can be acquired by making a donation to the Smiling Child Scholarship Fund.

The details are on the website www.insiithaihouse.com

It is not only a book, it is a symbol of how the past can come to help the future of the children.