BANGKOK 24 July 2019 09:39
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

New Year Death Toll Rises To 365: Thailand

New Year death toll rises to 365

WATTANA KHAMCHU

THE NATION

30197239-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The number of deaths caused by road accidents during the so-called seven dangerous days spanning the New Year holiday period has risen by more than 8 per cent to 365 and the number of accidents has also increased by 2.68 per cent compared to the same period last year.

Every year, the government declares December 27 to January 2 as the "seven dangerous days" in a bid to promote road safety and reduce road casualties at a time when hundreds, if not thousands, of people hit the road during the New Year holidays.

Yet despite the authorities' all-out efforts, only the number of injuries has dropped this year - by 1.36 per cent - and only six out of 77 provinces have not encountered any fatal road accidents during the period. The provinces are Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Phang Nga, Ranong, Nong Khai and Uttaradit.

"We will reward officials in these provinces as a motivational measure," Deputy Interior Minister Chatt Kuldiloke said yesterday.

According to him, as many as 68,314 officials manned 2,350 major checkpoints across the country. More than 4.7 million vehicles were flagged down, and 688,381 offenders punished for violating traffic laws. Of those caught, 202,893 faced legal action for driving without a licence, while 194,759 others were punished for not wearing a crash helmet.

Official statistics show that 24.39 per cent of the fatalities were caused due to the failure to wear a helmet. The other key reasons for deaths were speeding and drunk driving. Nakhon Pathom recorded the highest number of deaths at 18, while Chiang Mai saw the highest number of injured people at 147 during the period.

Jan-4-Accidents.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-04

The way I read this is that they will reward the officials in the 6 provinces that did not have any fatal accidents during those days, to motivate the others to work harder (cash is king in this country and it might help)...

Good idea, but how can we be sure that they are really telling the truth about fatal accidents?

I think the problem lies with the Thai people, not it's officials, or police... Yes, they might be corrupt, but they are not always allowed to do their jobs also...

RIP to all the people who died, and let us hope that the numbers will go down in the next round of 7 deadly days...

• Like 1

From the OP interesting reporting "at a time when hundreds, if not thousands, of people hit the road during the New Year holidays". In a few paragraphs below "More than 4.7 million vehicles were flagged down"

Dont forget that the coppers flag down the same pickup several times... and honestly, with the increase in people moving from a to b, should the accident rates not increase also? more people moving, more people have accidents???

I guess I am from the old school. A success or fairlure of the unit, team, or whatever you want to call it is shared by all members. When you do not meet goals/expetations of the whole, how in the name of justice do you single out a few individuals for a reward?

This probably is a most true refelection on the attitude/thinking of the majority of the people who are out for to benifit themselves/coharts at the expense of the majority.

• Like 1

Cops stop 4.1 million vehicles @ 100 baht per vehicle = nice payday for the police.

Not sure how many check points I passed during the festive period but I never saw 1 vehicle pulled over !!

There was lots of drinking (coffee maybe), reading papers and watching TV but not much else going on...

Can't say I believe that any provinces had no fatal accidents but lets hope it might be true...

• Like 1

365 ?......1 for every day of the year ,......what a coincidence .......i wonder if thais will think its lucky ? , i wish they would walk more often !.

• Like 2

I saw yesterday that Trat hadn't recorded any fatalities - that's a surprise considering the number of accidents that there have been on Koh Chang over the last week.

365 ?......1 for every day of the year ,......what a coincidence .......i wonder if thais will think its lucky ? , i wish they would walk more often !.

Number for the next lottery draw.whistling.gif

"More than 4.7 million vehicles were flagged down, and 688,381 offenders punished for violating traffic laws. Of those caught, 202,893 faced legal action for driving without a licence"

Nice to know that at least a majority of the drivers out there have a license laugh.png

• Like 1