Phuket Blockade Wins Tuk-Tuk Drivers Reprieve From Russian Operators

webfact

Phuket blockade wins tuk-tuk drivers reprieve from Russian operators

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Tuk-tuk and taxi drivers who established a road blockade in Karon last night will take further action if a meeting at 2pm today does not resolve a dispute over Russian tour operators undercutting local prices, the Phuket Gazette was told.

Karon Kamnan Winai Chidchiew broke the news after about 100 tuk-tuk and taxi drivers blockaded the Karon beachfront road at about 10pm last night.

To drive their point home, the drivers staged the blockade right in front of the newly established Karon Police Station.

“Russian people have set up more than 100 tour counters throughout Kata-Karon. In addition to selling tour packages and offering tour guides, these counters offer car rental and laundry services. This is greatly affecting local people’s incomes,” Mr Winai told the Gazette.

The Russian tour counters have set their prices so low that local tuk-tuk drivers cannot compete, he explained.

“Worse, they are telling tourists not to use tuk-tuks or taxis in Kata and Karon. The tuk-tuk and taxi drivers in Karon cannot take this anymore,” he said.

The blockade last night choked traffic along the busy beachfront road until Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon agreed to enter talks with the protest representatives.

While talks ensued, the protestors agreed to open one lane to allow traffic to pass.

The blockade disbanded at about 11pm, but only after Lt Col Narong agreed to the protestors’ primary demand of closing all tour service counters operated by Russian tour companies in Kata-Karon until a long-term solution is reached.

The second demand made at the blockade was for a meeting to be held at 2pm today at the Kata-Karon Municipality offices with all relevant government department chiefs present so a long-term solution could be reached.

Among the people named to be present at the meeting were Muang District Chief, Phuket Immigration officers, Karon Police Superintendent Sirisak Wasairi, Kata-Karon Mayor Tawee Thongcham and other high-ranking local officials.

The protestors also asked for Russian embassy representatives to be present, such as the Russian honorary consul for Phuket, Soopakij Chearavanont.

Mr Winai expressed concern that a loophole in foreign worker regulations may have made the current confrontation possible.

“I have been told that some sections of the Alien Workers Act have been changed and this is now allowing foreigners to start working in areas that were previously reserved for Thais only,” he said.

Just over 10 years ago to the day, a blockade by Kata-Karon taxi and tuk-tuk drivers won the drivers first choice against local safari tour companies from depriving them of customers.

That blockade also took only one hour to achieve the tuk-tuk and taxi drivers' goal of protecting their livelihoods.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...tors-19871.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-04

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose there is big money talking on both sides. Let's see if there will be an Russian tour operation association with it's own muscles to deal with the tuk-tuk's.

Few tour bus beatings and then few Molotov's cocktails inside of the tuk-tuks.. game on!

Not sure why anyone wants to holiday in patong anyway......

What has it to offer? A dirty Overcrowded beach? Gangs of locals colluding with police, waiting fr any excuse to attack tourists........overcrowded with tuk tuks .... infested with Diseased rats... there isnt even a decent club to go hangout at..... lots of unclean un educated females charging far too much for what they offer....... and as far as anyone trained in hospitality goes thats a joke as well..... oh yeah but it has got russian poledancers.....

Re-read the article. It has nothing to do with Patong. It was in Karon.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 2

What has it to offer? A dirty Overcrowded beach? Gangs of locals colluding with police, waiting fr any excuse to attack tourists........overcrowded with tuk tuks .... infested with Diseased rats... there isnt even a decent club to go hangout at..... lots of unclean un educated females charging far too much for what they offer....... and as far as anyone trained in hospitality goes thats a joke as well..... oh yeah but it has got russian poledancers.....

Re-read the article. It has nothing to do with Patong. It was in Kata.

According to the article it was in Karon, which is where the police post is.

Re-read the article. It has nothing to do with Patong. It was in Kata.

According to the article it was in Karon, which is where the police post is.

Thank you...

Easiest fix in the world. Introduce metered taxis to Phuket. I never understood why an area as large and well populated as Phuket doen't have taxis. Or why I had to pay 500Baht for a trip that should cost 60. I once had a business investment in Phuket. I thought it was heaven on earth. I divested a long time ago. Let the Russians have it, Phuket has long ago turned into another Pattaya snake pit.

Does Pattaya have a tuk tuk mafia? I think you are mistaken.smile.png

• Like 1

Re-read the article. It has nothing to do with Patong. It was in Karon.

oh yeah different beach same problem

So the Thais demonstrate again that they are incapable to operate any business

efficiently and are to dumb to to compete. To fix this they force the efficient, smart

foreign operators to close ...

Sounds like business as usual in Thailand .....

I agree that they are terrible but don't they have a right to strike and/or blockade?

post-73727-0-35790900-1357281569_thumb.j

So the Thais demonstrate again that they are incapable to operate any business

efficiently and are to dumb to to compete. To fix this they force the efficient, smart

foreign operators to close ...

Sounds like business as usual in Thailand .....

I agree that they are terrible but don't they have a right to strike and/or blockade?

This partucluar group of uneducated thugs has no right to strike and or blockade. I pass by these pri**ks on a daily basis in Karon and they are nothing but surly and unfriendly procrtecting "their turf". Why not wheel down some tow trucks and tow the lot away with the army acting as protection against these guys. I'm sure the sydictive guys in BKK could muster up a few million reasons for retribution on the Phuket local thugs.

• Like 2

Mob rules wins again. Fair competition loses again. Sadly I doubt this is ever going to change here at the Phuket beaches.

The blockade disbanded at about 11pm, but only after Lt Col Narong agreed to the protestors’ primary demand of closing all tour service counters operated by Russian tour companies in Kata-Karon until a long-term solution is reached.

I love how the police just cave in to the demands of the tuk tuk/taxi mafia every time they do a blockade...

Understandable, isn't it? Or wouldn't you try to protect part of your income and business, too?

Now it is only the question, which organization is willing, to put more money in the pot.

I have no doubt, the Russian side of this conflict will protect their shares of the market a lot more, than other foreign 'investors' did, before.

Also, the tea parties aren't hold on Phuket only, anymore. That's what even the BiB's will have to learn, methinks.

Mob rules wins again. Fair competition loses again. Sadly I doubt this is ever going to change here at the Phuket beaches.

I love how the police just cave in to the demands of the tuk tuk/taxi mafia every time they do a blockade...

Understandable, isn't it? Or wouldn't you try to protect part of your income and business, too?

Now it is only the question, which organization is willing, to put more money in the pot.

I have no doubt, the Russian side of this conflict will protect their shares of the market a lot more, than other foreign 'investors' did, before.

Also, the tea parties aren't hold on Phuket only, anymore. That's what even the BiB's will have to learn, methinks.

There are two Russian go go bars on Walking street. No American go go bars on Walking street.smile.png

There are two Russian go go bars on Walking street. No American go go bars on Walking street.smile.png

There are also Russian go go bars in Bangla, Patong. I'm not sure, is hard rock, eh, rock hard, American?

Edited by noob7

There are also russian go go bars in Bangla, Patong. I'm not sure, is hard rock, eh, rock hard american!

I meant with Russian dancers, go go girls. Certainly no American go go girls in Thailand to my knowledge.

There are also russian go go bars in Bangla, Patong. I'm not sure, is hard rock, eh, rock hard american!

I meant with Russian dancers, go go girls. Certainly no American go go girls in Thailand to my knowledge.

Maybe American girls fear the competition?

I wonder how, or if, these things are reported in the Russian media

Carefully! It's a growing market. And who will see the blockade of a police station? The Pegas bus drives around and is delivering the people a bit later to the hotel

Maybe American girls fear the competition?

No there would be bunches of them if they could get in. But it is only not illegal for Thai women and Russians.biggrin.png Many American women in Japan and other places but not Thailand. Remember the big thing with all the dead bodies years ago? After that the Russians came.