Russian Tour Counters Closed In Phuket, Pending Probe

webfact

Russian tour counters closed in Phuket, pending probe

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: All Russian tour counters in the Kata-Karon beach areas have been ordered to close until further notice and the local Labor Office has been requested to investigate them for possible breach for foreign worker regulations.

The news came at a meeting at Kata-Karon Municipality yesterday, held to resolve the ongoing dispute between local tuk-tuk and taxi drivers and Russian companies operating tour counters in the area.

The dispute reached flashpoint on Thursday night when the drivers staged a blockade of the Karon beachfront road to protest Russian tour counters offering transport to tourists at fares cheaper than those charged by the local drivers.

Yesterday, scores of local taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, and operators of other local businesses that rely on tourism, crowded the meeting room at the Kata-Karon Municipality offices.

Many of them brandished placards with slogans such as “Russians [are] stealing Thai jobs” and “We don’t want Russian businesses”.

After hearing the complaints, Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon explained, “We have ordered the Russian tour operators to temporarily close their counters until we are able to find a solution to this problem.”

Phuket Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkaosuttirak ordered officers from the Phuket Provincial Employment Office, who were present at the meeting, to investigate claims that Russian tour operators had foreigners providing massage services, an occupation that is by law reserved for Thais only.

However, V/Gov Somkiet also explained to the protesters that operating tour counters was not a protected occupation.

“The tuk-tuk, taxi and tour company operators understand that operating a tour company is not an occupation reserved for Thais, but they do want us to ensure a balance is maintained so that foreign tour companies do not adversely affect or cause problems for local business operators,” he told the Phuket Gazette.

“I have assigned the relevant organizations to be more strict in issuing work permits to foreign tour companies. I have also called for the relevant agencies and officers to meet again to discuss this problem next week,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...robe-19880.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-05

", but they do want us to ensure a balance is maintained so that foreign tour companies do not adversely affect or cause problems for local business operators"

I don't think, that there is any problem for business operators. The buses, working for PEGAS are truly good in business.

And saying, a Tuk Tuk thug is a business operator, mmmh.

oops, I forgot: The operator is the protector, offering the protected income for the driver and himself.

Wondering, that police can close down business, without a judge is involved!

But anyway, nothing that can't be healed with some grease at the right 'knuckles'!

"All Russian tour counters in the Kata-Karon beach areas have been ordered to close until further notice"

Hmm...both Russian tour shops next door to us are open for business.

On the way in to work I saw a big white bus which you could tell had recently had the "Pegas" decals removed. They were trying to make a turn down a soi off Kata Rd to a Russian hotel but some tuk tuks were parked in the way. The bus was blocking both lanes in both directions This blocked traffic on the busy road for several minutes. One tuktuk driver who was loading some passengers backed up to fully obstruct the bus, and finally the bus driver and his spotter gave up, backed up and left.

Yesterday I was behind an empty Pegas bus in Kata that was being driven by a mad man nearly who tipped the thing over taking the curves and corners way to fast.

Between these Pegas drivers and the tuk tuk mafia, I am not sure this is a very nice place anymore.

Never been to phucket, But every day when i open TV forum on the pc i am reminded why i never will visit, I usually manage to talk any friends visiting thailand to avoid phucket at all costs.

Keep doing this job!

Still to many people/tourists here.

After hearing the complaints, Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon explained, “We have ordered the Russian tour operators to temporarily close their counters until we are able to find a solution to this problem.”

Isn't the solution obvious? The local tuk tuk and taxi drivers start operating fair business and stop charging exorbitant rates, compete in an open market by operating in an honest manner.

""After hearing the complaints, Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon explained, “We have ordered the Russian tour operators to temporarily close their counters until we are able to find a solution to this problem.”"

Well well, isn't it usually not so that a business is told to closed down AFTER they have found to be doing something wrong and illegal?

""The dispute reached flashpoint on Thursday night when the drivers staged a blockade of the Karon beachfront road to protest Russian tour counters offering transport to tourists at fares cheaper than those charged by the local drivers.""

So there is the real issue! The problem is competition. Offering a lower fare is competition for the maffia tuk-tuk drivers... A real "businessman or business operator knows that competition is part of a real business.

""After hearing the complaints, Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon explained, “We have ordered the Russian tour operators to temporarily close their counters until we are able to find a solution to this problem.”"

Well well, isn't it usually not so that a business is told to closed down AFTER they have found to be doing something wrong and illegal?

""The dispute reached flashpoint on Thursday night when the drivers staged a blockade of the Karon beachfront road to protest Russian tour counters offering transport to tourists at fares cheaper than those charged by the local drivers.""

So there is the real issue! The problem is competition. Offering a lower fare is competition for the maffia tuk-tuk drivers... A real "businessman or business operator knows that competition is part of a real business.

That's it in a nutshell. The Thais feel they are entitled to the tourists money, it's theirs to take rather than earn.
  • Like 2

V/Gov Somkiet also explained to the protesters that operating tour counters was not a protected occupation.

“The tuk-tuk, taxi and tour company operators understand that operating a tour company is not an occupation reserved for Thais, but they do want us to ensure a balance is maintained so that foreign tour companies do not adversely affect or cause problems for local business operators,” he told the Phuket Gazette.

Well of course they will adversely effect the locals. The locals provide a crap service at an extortionate price.

How long will "Until" be I wonder ?

Edited by I Like Thai

Until after high season, of course. rolleyes.gif

noob7

Its mainly self preservation which makes me talk visitors out of going to phucket....i fear that when they get beat up by tucktuk guys or dragged into some scam involving police and their holiday turns to worms i might be the contact number.

That's ok with me!

I think, till one Russian contact from Bangkok feels the need, to protect his tea parties.

And if not, the next step can only be:

Responsibility for car/motocy renter, in case the customer has no license.

That will get more people in the need, to compensate the TUK TUK guy's

If not enough compensation (b/c of to many new legal illegal taxis):

Thai driving license test only in Thai : Most Expats have to use taxi service, after 6 month.

Still not enough?

No permission for non Thai, eh, Non-ASIAN, to drive themselves on Thai roads :To dangerous

Somehow, there must be a way, to feed all the blighter with credits to pay, but no intention, to work in competitive manner.

May any TUK TUK driver think about, that all the illegal drivers are cutting his options? Now maybe half of them legalized?

With real and mostly new cars, aircon, to the very same price?

No, of course not. The next list with rising fees will be agreed, soon!

Edited by noob7

Quote: "I have assigned the relevant organizations to be more strict in issuing work permits to foreign tour companies. I have also called for the relevant agencies and officers to meet again to discuss this problem next week,” he added.

No problems then as there MUST be many Thais who can speak Russian and know the meaning of the words, "good service" who can take the jobs.........yeah right!!

Pegas is a Turkish company

A international company, originally only based in the Turkey, more than a decade ago, methinks.

Or do you think, the Pegas people in Russia, Poland and the other 'Russian' countries, are Turkish?

Edited by noob7

Pegas is a Turkish company

No, Pegas Touristik is a Russian company, founded in Moscow in 1994. Their primary areas of operation are countries that have relaxed visa requirements for Russian citizens, of which Turkey (amongst others) is one.