Phuket Tourism Leaders Lambast Sydictive New Year Party For Noise, Trash

webfact

Phuket tourism leaders lambast Sydictive new year party for noise, trash

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Leading Phuket tourism and hotel figures yesterday personally brought forward a barrage of complaints to the Phuket Governor about the Sydictive Element new year party, citing complaints that noise forced guests to check out early and trash was left strewn along Patong Beach.

The delegation filing the complaint comprised Phuket Tourist Association (PTA) President Ponganun Suwannakarn and PTA Vice President Sarayuth Mallam, along with Thai Hotels Association Southern Chapter President Suchart Hirankanokkul.

“We are here today to report the problems to Governor Maitri Inthusuth and to ask that he carefully considers the effect that any similar events in the future might have on Phuket’s tourism image; that he carefully consults with both private and government organizations, weighing the advantages and disadvantages such events might bring to the province,” explained Mr Ponganun.

The delegation cited numerous examples of complaints received from hotel owners, beach vendors and tourists.

“The party was held in the [tourism] high season, when many tourists visit Phuket to celebrate the new year. The guests staying at hotels near the party were disturbed by the loud music and the people from the party. They could not get a good night’s sleep.

“Many of them complained to hotel staff, many of them wrote letters of complaint, and many of them left their hotels before their checkout date because they could not stand the loud music,” Mr Ponganun said.

He also berated the party organizers for not adhering to their agreement in maintaining beach cleanliness and highlighted the problem of private pay-for-entry parties being held on public beaches – a chief concern raised by Patong Mayor Pian Keesin before the party was approved.

“When they’d finished their event, they left garbage on all along the beach. They weren’t even concerned about cleaning it up. Many tourists filed complaints to us about how dirty the beach was after the party,” Mr Ponganun said.

“Now Patong beach is dirty, full of garbage and flies,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...rash-19878.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-05

Its somewhat predictable that there would be complaints and that some people might leave, but the agreement was that these <deleted> would leave the beach clean - no excuse - that was what they signed up for.

If they cant/wont clean the beach, then hit them with a cleaning fee to have appropriate vehicles and personnel do the work for them - simple.

On a related note, as I don't live in Phuket (but have friends who do), I wonder if the local council owns any of those beach-cleaning machines that are used in places such as on some of Sydney's beaches? Not because its less labour intensive specifically, but because when used properly they can make a big difference to the cleanliness of the sand and it can be done much faster and more efficiently than manual systems - making the beach ready to use much more quickly.

Just a thought....

Patong beach Phuket is one of the most notorious party strips in the world. You don't check into a hotel there for peace and quiet. You go to Koh Samed for peace and quiet. This is all just a big sham to extort money from the hotel that was smart enough to book this party and subsequently made a fortune off it. When was the last time you saw a Thai give a rats ass about litter? I love it here but the thais on the beach in Phuket have no compunction about tossing trash wherever they stand. This is just more haters hatin. Phuket has turned. Just let it go and move on.

• Like 1

Its somewhat predictable that there would be complaints and that some people might leave, but the agreement was that these <deleted> would leave the beach clean - no excuse - that was what they signed up for.

If they cant/wont clean the beach, then hit them with a cleaning fee to have appropriate vehicles and personnel do the work for them - simple.

On a related note, as I don't live in Phuket (but have friends who do), I wonder if the local council owns any of those beach-cleaning machines that are used in places such as on some of Sydney's beaches? Not because its less labour intensive specifically, but because when used properly they can make a big difference to the cleanliness of the sand and it can be done much faster and more efficiently than manual systems - making the beach ready to use much more quickly.

Just a thought....

Yes , i have seen these 'sand cleaners' all over Australia. Owned by councils basically just a light tractor with a scoop which cleans the sand as it passes over, leaving a perfectly safe clean sandy beach behind.This is usually done before 6 am every day. But then i don't think that Thai beach side councils even know what the words "Clean beach" means as they do not seem interested.

Just a thought....

Yes , i have seen these 'sand cleaners' all over Australia. Owned by councils basically just a light tractor with a scoop which cleans the sand as it passes over, leaving a perfectly safe clean sandy beach behind.This is usually done before 6 am every day. But then i don't think that Thai beach side councils even know what the words "Clean beach" means as they do not seem interested.

I recall seeing one of those a long time ago on the beach at Patong. Early 90s.

Just a thought....

Last year, the Orbortor at Patong paid for a couple of these sand cleaners to be imported from Australia. The machines spent their first few weeks blind drunk in Bangla, didn't get their WP paperwork sorted, and so were never put to work.

Funny how the local authorities took sydictive's money, allowed them to break several of the rules as evidenced by photos of the metal wall and stacks of beers during the event, then come out and say that the organizers broke their promises. I wonder how much tea money the mayor and his son that negotiated the deal recieved? Surely the local gov't will use some of this money they recieved to clean up their beach, surely.

keeping patong beach clean......... location north end of the beach.

I wonder what the river is like at the other end. I shudder to imagine what gets tossed into that waterway as it meanders its way to the beach.

All the waste water from the entire Nanai area. Mind you since last year we have a new charge for water cleaning 'machine'. I often wonder where that might be. My best guess would be just to the side of the Honda bike dealer.