Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss ... Any Feedback?

Jingthing

JT,

Not wanting to burst your bubble but 4500 calories is one pound of fat. This would mean that apple cider vinegar would make you burn about 150 calories a day. That is quite a lot percentage wise it could be more then 5% in a healthy adult. Something that spectacular and not dangerous would already be real famous for it. Believe me if i say that if it would really increase the metabolic rate by 5% many people would take it even some of the illigal and effective fat burners like clenbuterol have a hard time matching that number. Most normal fat burners don't even come there.

Just my 2 cents.

Too simplistic. What if it makes people feel like eating a bit less, choosing healthier foods, avoiding "bad" foods more, even skipping some meals? Diet orthodoxy is it's all just math. I don't buy it and I never will. I think there are massive complex factors and different for each individual.

Anyway as I indicated there are OTHER potential benefits of the ACV other than POTENTIAL weight loss, and I'm starting to understand why this product is such a large industry and has been for a very long time.

Edited by Jingthing

Apparently the people that do see weight loss they link to ACV, the typical level is one pound per month, but with some luckier people, two pounds per month.

It is not too hard to lose a pound a week through diet.

Just take the amount of calories your eating & reduce it by 3500 a week

another way is look at how many calories it takes to maintain the weight you want to target

Then eat that amount.

Sounds way more complicated than it is.

Most folks eat pretty much the same things week in & week out.

So once you get a handle on calorie count after a week or two you have all the info you need.

Also it does not have to be exact.

But if you can count for at least a couple of days before starting a change you will know how many you were eating on average.

Take 3500 / 7 = 500cal less per day

Reduce your intake by that amount & you will see a change

Also some folks need to look at intake vs waste ( a nice way of putting it ) smile.png

If it is not up to par take something at night to help clear you out.

You notice the Thai girls eat like pigs & are thin. Yes that is metabolism for the most part

but most I have met drink things like Fitne Tea at night before bed & swear by it.

The sell it everywhere by the coffee & teas. big C etc.

Cost is pretty low. I think about 140 baht for the bag that has like 30 bags in it?

They make a cup at night with hot water. Let it sit till almost cool & drink it.

Isn't that just a laxative? I think VERY unhealthy in the long run.

JT,

Not wanting to burst your bubble but 4500 calories is one pound of fat. This would mean that apple cider vinegar would make you burn about 150 calories a day. That is quite a lot percentage wise it could be more then 5% in a healthy adult. Something that spectacular and not dangerous would already be real famous for it. Believe me if i say that if it would really increase the metabolic rate by 5% many people would take it even some of the illigal and effective fat burners like clenbuterol have a hard time matching that number. Most normal fat burners don't even come there.

Just my 2 cents.

Too simplistic. What if it makes people feel like eating a bit less, choosing healthier foods, avoiding "bad" foods more, even skipping some meals? Diet orthodoxy is it's all just math. I don't buy it and I never will. I think there are massive complex factors and different for each individual.

JT it is math, but not simple math. Also weight loss is not linear and such. Plus hormonal things have great influence.. insuline resistance ect ect. Anyway i don't pretend i know it all. But i do know what works for me.

Isn't that just a laxative? I think VERY unhealthy in the long run.

From that link...

each 2.65 gramme tea bag contains 1500mg of Senna leaves, 500 mg of Senna pods, green tea leaves, and 150 mg of Garcinia Atroviridis. Garcinia Atroviridis is a hydroxy citric acid, which is a natural substance that is extracted from the rind of the fruit of the Garcinia Cambogia tree. It is apparently non-toxic and has been used for generations for appetite suppressing and weight loss.

Personally I don't use it.

If I want to lose weight I just do the other thing of caloric reduction or increase calories used ( exercise )

Always comes back to that,

X in - Y burned through metabolic rate & exercise = anything extra is stored

But I did mention that Tea because some folks just don't naturally go enough.

So they need help. Also bad long term to not be evacuating excess waste & why some folks get that High Colonic treatment. ohmy.png

Although I have taken fiber nightly for over 25 years.

Just psyllium husk based stuff. A teaspoon in water at bedtime.

Edited by mania

I am not big on skipping meals because yes eating delicious food is a great pleasure for me. I do try in general to only eat if actually hungry rather than because the clock says mealtime.

I'll let you into a little secret. Most of us have great pleasure from eating delicious food. It's all about restraint. You mentioned you don't believe that it is all about diet and exercise. Let's clarify the word "diet". To lose weight you have to alter what you eat AND eat less. "diet" can mean either of these, but you must do both AND exercise.,

Regarding your initial comment about insulin resistance. There's no point guessing about this. You should get tested and find out if you are insulin resistant, diabetic or pre-diabetic. These conditions make a huge difference to what you should or shouldn't eat in order to lose weight.

I didn't reduce my body fat from about 17% to under 10% last year by taking a magic pill. It's about exercise, diet and restraint. You could save yourself the money on this ACV because without dedication and motivation, you're not going lose weight by drinking vinegar. You really need to develop some willpower at the dining table. I never eat until I'm full. You don't have to do that.

I would suggest one of the best ways to reduce your appetite is to start drinking whey protein shakes. It can keep you feeling full for hours. You could replace one or two of your daily fine dining experiences with a boring whey protein shake.

Whey protein shakes? Are you having a laugh? w00t.gif

Anyone with the most basic knowledge of the global obesity epidemic knows full well that RESTRAINT actually almost always backfires on people. The body fights you. I haven't believed in "diets" for decades. There is a scientific reason why the only effective thing doctors have today is bariatric surgery. Even that isn't even close to 100 percent. But it's better than one percent. The TINY percentage of people who have achieved long term success through "will power" think they have all the answers for the 95 percent plus who have plenty of will power but will never succeed. They really don't. It's a morality argument, not a scientific one. Do you imagine I'm going to eat a cake now?

Edited by Jingthing

Braggs has been off the shelves at Tops since October. sad.png

What were they charging for 32 ounces? Maybe Healthy Mate has nudged them out of the Thailand market.

About 350 baht, IIRC. You're probably right about being priced out of the market, but Healthy Mate just doesn't cut it for me. :(

What were they charging for 32 ounces? Maybe Healthy Mate has nudged them out of the Thailand market.

About 350 baht, IIRC. You're probably right about being priced out of the market, but Healthy Mate just doesn't cut it for me. sad.png

Healthy Mate was more than that at Villa and Foodland. What's wrong with the Healthy Mate ACV? It's got the Mother. Ha ha. I've used some of their other products and it seems a good brand. Edited by Jingthing

You "don't buy it and never will" because you don't want to believe it. If you believe this, then you know it comes down to hard work and restraint.

Good luck finding your magic pill - you're going to need it.

You "don't buy it and never will" because you don't want to believe it. If you believe this, then you know it comes down to hard work and restraint.

Good luck finding your magic pill - you're going to need it.

OMG. Didn't you read my posts? I know there is no magic pill. I am quite realistic. There might be someday. I think science should invest more in developing real effective solutions that aren't surgical because right now that really is all they've got that works on more than a tiny percentage of people. Edited by Jingthing

Anyone with the most basic knowledge of the global obesity epidemic knows full well that RESTRAINT actually almost always backfires on people. The body fights you. I haven't believed in "diets" for decades. There is a scientific reason why the only effective thing doctors have today is bariatric surgery. Even that isn't even close to 100 percent. But it's better than one percent. The TINY percentage of people who have achieved long term success through "will power" think they have all the answers for the 95 percent plus who have plenty of will power but will never succeed. They really don't. It's a morality argument, not a scientific one. Do you imagine I'm going to eat a cake now?

No, i'm not having a laugh... I'm actually trying to help. Whey protein (WPC) satisfies the appetite and you could cut down on calories by replacing some of your meals with it. I can easily cut a meal or two out by drinking WPC. I use 1kg of WPC per week - does that sound like I'm joking?

We are in the health forum ok. I don't joke in here so please save your emoticons for another forum. In this forum I mean everything I say.

Now let's get serious.

Have you had your blood sugar levels checked. Do you know your postprandial blood sugar levels? Have you had an HbA1c test done?

How fat are you? What's your age? How much exercise do you do? Does your belly protrude or is your fat evenly distributed? How much weight do you feel you need to lose?

I don't wish to engage at this level here. Didn't come here for an intervention.

I started this thread to talk about APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.

My goals in life and health are not limited to weight loss.

There have been other threads where people discuss the morality will power vs. biological science of failure issues I have been talking about so probably that doesn't belong here either.

On ACV the feedback consensus has been the weight loss benefits if any are very minor. I kind of knew that already but reinforcement of what I already thought is valid feedback.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't wish to engage at this level here. Didn't come here for an intervention.

I started this thread to talk about APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.

My goals in life and health are not limited to weight loss.

There have been other threads where people discuss the morality will power vs. biological science of failure issues I have been talking about so probably that doesn't belong here either.

On ACV the feedback consensus has been the weight loss benefits if any are very minor. I kind of knew that already but reinforcement of what I already thought is valid feedback.

Sorry, it was the.... "Whey protein shakes? Are you having a laugh? w00t.gif" ....that got me started.

I agree that you're not a good candidate for an intervention because it's obvious by your posts here that you're looking for an easy way to lose fat, if not a magic pill.

I don't believe there is an easy way to repair a fat-damaged body from decades of abuse.

If there is, well that's great - I can head back for the cakes and chocolates.

We'll stay tuned.

In the meanwhile I'll stay out of this. I've never given apple cider vinegar a decent trial.

smile.png

I did not know that about it being hard on tooth enamel.

As I had said I never took it internally but used it diluted as a hair rinse.

I don't think it's really a concern for the few seconds it would be in the mouth, but perhaps if anything it will be good for the teeth in that it could help to reduce the plaque covering the enamel. Most people have a slimy covering over the teeth from the food they eat.

About 350 baht, IIRC. You're probably right about being priced out of the market, but Healthy Mate just doesn't cut it for me. sad.png

Healthy Mate was more than that at Villa and Foodland. What's wrong with the Healthy Mate ACV? It's got the Mother. Ha ha. I've used some of their other products and it seems a good brand.

Don't think anything wrong with it. I just don't like it's taste compared to Braggs, its brother from another mother. biggrin.png

• Like 1

The reason why many people dont manage to lose weight in the long term is due to the emotional issues behind why they eat wrong foods or too much food.

Food for many people is as powerful an addiction as alcohol or nicotine. As with any behavioural disorder unless the root causes for the overeating are addressed ie the emotional issues of why you eat too much then inevitably the weight will continue to stack on.

• Like 1

The reason why many people dont manage to lose weight in the long term is due to the emotional issues behind why they eat wrong foods or too much food.

Food for many people is as powerful an addiction as alcohol or nicotine. As with any behavioural disorder unless the root causes for the overeating are addressed ie the emotional issues of why you eat too much then inevitably the weight will continue to stack on.

Fact is that diets would not fail if the patient heard you can die or you can diet. However as they don't see it as a problem they don't put in their best effort. Same with smoking, if they knew ahead how much problems it would cause they would have had the will to stop.

Many people just want the easy way surgery as they don't have to do a thing then. I am well aware that some things are stacked against people as i seen many documentaries about weight loss but i also despise the ..... its not my fault it is..... ect.

• Like 2

Fact is that diets would not fail if the patient heard you can die or you can diet. However as they don't see it as a problem they don't put in their best effort. Same with smoking, if they knew ahead how much problems it would cause they would have had the will to stop.

Many people just want the easy way surgery as they don't have to do a thing then. I am well aware that some things are stacked against people as i seen many documentaries about weight loss but i also despise the ..... its not my fault it is..... etc.

That pretty much nails it

No country sells as much vitamins,exercise videos & equipment, Diet programs,Diet books etc. than America.

Yet look at the obesity problem there.

Folks yo-yo with diets because they think of them as a temp fix. They think they can eat what they want when they want & then diet

to lose some. Then they go right back to bad eating habits.

Also most folks who diet are at a point & say that is it I am going to diet.

Then they try to undertake something which is way too strict right off.

It is no wonder they mostly fail.

Instead I would suggest folks at first at least just cut back.

Go smaller portions, eat more small meals rather than stuffing yourself.

It is ok to leave food behind on the plate.

They WILL see results. Then start looking at quality of foods & decide if it is worth it.

Sure everybody likes some junk. So have it !!

But have it as a once a week or so treat day etc. Not after every meal or at 10pm at night before sleeping.

Maintaining, Losing or Gaining weight is a simple numbers game.

All the hope for otherwise dies in vain.

Here is a general rule which of course needs to be tweaked to your exertion levels but,

Most men need 15 calories per day to maintain each pound they carry.

So say you weigh 175 lbs (US)

175x15= 2625 calories a day to maintain that 175lbs

Anything more you will gain weight anything less you will lose weight.

Of course not instantly day by day but week by week you will.

You want to weigh 150? drop that to 2250 a day

Not hard at all & this works

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

mania what you say is true though i think your calories are a bit at the high side. At least they are for me, I eat around 2000 cals a day at 189lbs and slowly loose weight. Nothing fast but then again i am lean now. I also workout everyday, so for some there definitely are problems

mania what you say is true though i think your calories are a bit at the high side. At least they are for me, I eat around 2000 cals a day at 189lbs and slowly loose weight. Nothing fast but then again i am lean now. I also workout everyday, so for some there definitely are problems

Yes for sure that 15 is for a pretty active person

Here is one for less active folks

http://www.livestron...-burn-each-day/

True too losing slowly is what sticks.

Many diets people see crazy numbers right off but unless they were obese these are not real numbers

mainly water weight being reduced. To lose fat takes time.

Edited by mania

BTW, it turns out the unfiltered ACV (which is the TOPIC of this thread) is a prebiotic. Not a probiotic. A prebiotic.

That appeals to me as I already eat a number of probiotic foods and prebiotics support that for digestive well being.

Probiotics: Natural culture yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, Kefir.

http://www.livestron...ar-a-probiotic/

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, it turns out the unfiltered ACV (which is the TOPIC of this thread) is a prebiotic. Not a probiotic. A prebiotic.

That appeals to me as I already eat a number of probiotic foods and prebiotics support that for digestive well being.

JT,

Nothing wrong with taking it, and like all topic it often goes OT its normal. Anyway, i do believe in eating and drinking healthy. I always read your restaurant reviews (not that i eat in pattaya but its a nice read at times). Just always thought of you as someone who really likes to eat and for who food is a big priority. That is probably why you think the way you think.

JT,

Nothing wrong with taking it, and like all topic it often goes OT its normal. Anyway, i do believe in eating and drinking healthy. I always read your restaurant reviews (not that i eat in pattaya but its a nice read at times). Just always thought of you as someone who really likes to eat and for who food is a big priority. That is probably why you think the way you think.

Really likes to eat kind of implies a person who is eating all day and/or is not conscious of the health implications of what you eat, including portion size. I think you have falsely stereotyped me.

JT,

Really likes to eat kind of implies a person who is eating all day and/or is not conscious of the health implications of what you eat, including portion size. I think you have falsely stereotyped me.

I got exactly the same impression as Robblok from reading 1000's of your posts on eating and restaurants over the years. My mind's image of you is a porker weighing 250 - 300 lbs in poor health. People have a fairly good idea of how we look because it's well documented on here and forum members have seen us, but you are a mystery and we can only use our imagination.

Edited by tropo