Any Pro Photographers Out There?

MGLinearArt

It really helps to know your camera and test all the options available. Even the better quality point and shoot cameras have options. But, I'm like everyone else and just take what I can get when I see it as a snapshot. It usually takes prior planning to get the great shots. Most often I just point and shoot when I see something interesting and it's not until later that I realize I should have stopped, taken out the tripod, maybe change a lens or filter, and spent some time experimenting.

• Like 1

Early or late in the day usually gives the best lighting

True, but the elephant crossing the road doesn't alway choose to stand in the ideal position waiting for you to take a picture. And those dam_n white egrets always take off just before I snap their picture.

Early or late in the day usually gives the best lighting

True, but the elephant crossing the road doesn't alway choose to stand in the ideal position waiting for you to take a picture. And those dam_n white egrets always take off just before I snap their picture.

Like this one.... biggrin.png

IMG_3788.JPG

This one co-operated a bit better ! thumbsup.gif

IMG_3787.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Should we have a bird topic? smile.png

post-566-0-85362700-1357662719_thumb.jpg

May be not a bad idea.... feathered kind though !!!! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif .... I have a huge collection of Florida birds, they co-operate much better than Thai birds for photos... too bad can't use them!!! sad.png

I don't really have old house pics, so not much to contribute there... wink.png

• 3 months later...

Not a pro photographer as I do not make any money, but an avid photographer. Here are my thoughts:

A polariser might help, but probably not so much. The UV filter as suggested here is useless on a digital SLR. At best you will have a slight decrease in quality. All digital SLRs have an UV filter just on top of the sensor.

Besides getting there early in the morning, another tip would be to go wide angle/nearer to the subject to reduce the heat haze effect.

I hope that helps a bit.

I often find that simply clicking auto levels in Photoshop will revive a photo that has too much haze. Doesn't always work but I have had some surprising results. Try it out.

However a polarizer is the standard method. In 30+ years of photographer I have had very limited results with UV filters and generally just use them to protect my lens. I remove them when taking important shots as I don't like too much glass.

Trying to beat the haze in Thailand in smoke season is difficult indeed.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2