Overstay Charge Hiked To B500 A Day

Just found the link:

Overstaying - Imprisonment of up to 6 months or fine up to S$4,000 or both. Caning of not less than 3 strokes and imprisonment of up to 6 months if overstayed beyond 90 days

Those found guilty of employing over stayers / illegal immigrants face a jail sentence of 6 months to 2 years and a fine of up to S$6000 plus compulsory caning if he employs more than 5 immigration offenders as workers.

I guess it's cheaper and healthier to be an overstayer in Thailand.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the increase for not signing on 90 days for those with a visa? Up from seemingly zero last year to 500Baht per day. Its not easy to keep track of this date as it doesn't seem as important as a visa date and being in business and often traveling, the date is constantly being reset - until oops have I been here for 90 days?

• 2 weeks later...

Pure ripoff!

A fine has been increased for illegal activity in Thailand, how's that a rip off?

It's easy not to overstay, so just don't. And before anyone flames me, I'm no angel, I've had plenty of overstay before when the rules were less strict but it was all my own fault, and if I hadn't been so lazy could have not been in that situation at all.

Just because you were lazy doesn't mean everyone else is, you asume that everyone is the same as you, well I got news for you there are many different folk out there with many different reasons for overstaying, wise up an stop tarring all with your brush.

. . . the maximum fine payable will remain the same, at 20,000 baht . . .

Interesting about this 20,000 THB maximum fine. I guess it wouldn't do to have debtors prison, that is, after all, a bit old fashioned, and usually frowned upon in civilized societies :D . However, the way the system works now, the 20K becomes "cost effective" very quickly. Theoretically (and assuming that you do not get arrested, imprisoned, deported and blacklisted first :D ) you could overstay several years and leave via the airport for only 20K. That's a bargain compared to futzing around with visas and annual visa trips in and out of the country!

Aloha, :o

Rex

Hm Like your style Rex, but I wonder if it would really be that easy, does make you wonder though hehe.

What about the increase for not signing on 90 days for those with a visa? Up from seemingly zero last year to 500Baht per day. Its not easy to keep track of this date as it doesn't seem as important as a visa date and being in business and often traveling, the date is constantly being reset - until oops have I been here for 90 days?

The fine was 2,000 baht last year and is 2,000 baht this year. The 500 baht per day fine is for overstay of visa - not for being late doing 90 day address reports.

Just because you were lazy doesn't mean everyone else is, you asume that everyone is the same as you, well I got news for you there are many different folk out there with many different reasons for overstaying, wise up an stop tarring all with your brush.

OK, I could do with a good laugh; let's hear these many different reasons, and please also assign how many overstayers fit under each of your reason; then we can have a reasoned debate.

I'll help get you started:

Reason for overstaying plus percentage:

I was too busy either travelling around looking at temples or alternatively shagging whores or smoking pot living life in my Hunter S Thompson impression (90%)

I didn't understand the stamp and date because I am really really bad at reading engrish (5%)

I illegally work here teaching english or some other job, and I can't always get time off to arrange things on the day my visa expires, but I am too tightwad to bother going prior to that date (2%)

I got hit by a bus/hit by a motorcycle/hit by a top 40 and I didn't bother contacting my embassy/my embassy are always closed/I don't know what an embassy is/I am upcountry and therefore could not leave on time OR get in touch with the local police to sort it out for me (<1%)

I don't have any respect for the laws of this country, and I be well into personal freedoms. I live in Montana. (<1%)

I am Australian (<1%)

I am quite good at Mel Gibson impersonations. I like to do Mad Max. That's why I overstay. because it is there. You can talk my passport, but you cannot take my freeeeeddooooommmm (<1%)

I am struggling to get the rest...some help perhaps?

OK, I could do with a good laugh; let's hear these many different reasons, and please also assign how many overstayers fit under each of your reason; then we can have a reasoned debate.

I'll help get you started:

Reason for overstaying plus percentage:

I was too busy either travelling around looking at temples or alternatively shagging whores or smoking pot living life in my Hunter S Thompson impression (90%)

I didn't understand the stamp and date because I am really really bad at reading engrish (5%)

I illegally work here teaching english or some other job, and I can't always get time off to arrange things on the day my visa expires, but I am too tightwad to bother going prior to that date (2%)

I got hit by a bus/hit by a motorcycle/hit by a top 40 and I didn't bother contacting my embassy/my embassy are always closed/I don't know what an embassy is/I am upcountry and therefore could not leave on time OR get in touch with the local police to sort it out for me (<1%)

I don't have any respect for the laws of this country, and I be well into personal freedoms. I live in Montana. (<1%)

I am Australian (<1%)

I am quite good at Mel Gibson impersonations. I like to do Mad Max. That's why I overstay. because it is there. You can talk my passport, but you cannot take my freeeeeddooooommmm (<1%)

I am struggling to get the rest...some help perhaps?

might I suggest you read some of the reasons given previously in this thread,

my reason is none of your business, but it was business related, not everyone goes to thailand for the same reasons you apparantly do, I do believe there is a lot more to thailand than "whores" as you so eloquently put it, get a life! I have no desire to enter a debate with someone who apparantly "knows it all".

I wouldn't care if they put the overstay charge at B10,000 per day, because it doesn't apply to me and never will. There's absolutely no reason to overstay if you're healthy enough to stand on your own two legs, period. Even if you're in the hospital you could contact immigration to get an extension for such cases. I know of someone who was forced to do that. But that's besides the point ...just don't overstay! I've been in Thailand for the past two years and don't have a single day of overstay. But every time i've been to the border in these two days there are people with 2 or 3 days, sometimes even weeks of overstay. I heard excuses like "i was too drunk to make my visa run earlier" or "i dont care if i'm a few days late" ...just doesn't make sense.

If you're a honest person, you shouldn't overstay.

:D i like this one :D

:o

Edited by lung