For The Birds !

samuijimmy

No worries, we all started somewhere. And even after 30 years of birding, I still screw up all the time.

Here is a question for the birders: I'll be in Chiang Mai all week next week. Not a birding trip but I might get a little time off. What are good places around CM? I remember going to the uni grounds and seeing lots of good birds (Wire-tailed swallow).

I guess Doi Inthanon is too far for a day?

Hanno

What are good places around CM? I remember going to the uni grounds and seeing lots of good birds (Wire-tailed swallow).

yes.. the vet & agricultural college's (part of CMU) at Mae Hia is probably the best birding area within spitting distance of town. Mixed habitats.. scrub, marsh, lakes, wooded & cultivated. The place has a good species count. Worth multiple day visits as it's quite a large site. Wire-tailed is reliable here as is Rufous-winged Buzzard. I've also had a few surprises here too...

not at all... set of at 5am, it takes just over an hour depending how you drive. Start at the summit, then work your way down stopping off at the usual places (PM me if you need more info).

Other places..? Huay Tung Tao is still ok providing you get there early, the trails up into the foothills of Doi Suthep & the north end around the paddies are the best places here. Also don't write off Doi Suthep itself... carry on past the temple, past Bhubing Palace, now you're on Doi Pui. Eventually you'll get to here...

...park & walk beyond the red & white barrier along a narrow tarmac road, all the way to the summit of Doi Pui (a couple of km's) Good birds can be found along this walk...

hope this helps

wink.png

Quite sure it is Common flameback (f) but hoping for Greater.

keep hoping.... wink.png maybe next time.

In case you are wondering Jack: Greater has a split submoustachial stripe; Common does not. Greater has 4 toes, Common 3 (hard to see). The black nape on Greater has white in the center, Common is all black.

• Like 1

What are good places around CM? I remember going to the uni grounds and seeing lots of good birds (Wire-tailed swallow).

yes.. the vet & agricultural college's (part of CMU) at Mae Hia is probably the best birding area within spitting distance of town. Mixed habitats.. scrub, marsh, lakes, wooded & cultivated. The place has a good species count. Worth multiple day visits as it's quite a large site. Wire-tailed is reliable here as is Rufous-winged Buzzard. I've also had a few surprises here too...

not at all... set of at 5am, it takes just over an hour depending how you drive. Start at the summit, then work your way down stopping off at the usual places (PM me if you need more info).

Other places..? Huay Tung Tao is still ok providing you get there early, the trails up into the foothills of Doi Suthep & the north end around the paddies are the best places here. Also don't write off Doi Suthep itself... carry on past the temple, past Bhubing Palace, now you're on Doi Pui. Eventually you'll get to here...

attachicon.gifz.jpg

...park & walk beyond the red & white barrier along a narrow tarmac road, all the way to the summit of Doi Pui (a couple of km's) Good birds can be found along this walk...

hope this helps

wink.png

Much appreciated Goshawk. I will take a look at a map and get back to you if I have any questions (if you don't mind?).

peek-a-boo ! smile.png

9799136375_c1bcbe8165_z.jpg

Red-whiskered Bulbul

We have a fair number of Bulbul in our garden but they seem a little plain and don’t have such a dramatic head crest.

The common Bulbuls in gardens are Streak-eared and Yellow-vented, both rather dull from a distance.

We have a fair number of Bulbul in our garden but they seem a little plain and don’t have such a dramatic head crest.

The common Bulbuls in gardens are Streak-eared and Yellow-vented, both rather dull from a distance.

The Red-whiskered is a very common garden bird around CM & the north in general.. certainly always present in ours. They, & Streak-eared, breed on & around our place.

surprised you're not seeing them around you VF in the Rai, as i understand you live quite rural..?

The Red-whiskered is a very common garden bird around CM & the north in general.. certainly always present in ours. They, & Streak-eared, breed on & around our place.

surprised you're not seeing them around you VF in the Rai, as i understand you live quite rural..?

The only time I have seen the prettier ones, they were in cages, maybe that has something to do with it. We also have only the plain Myna Birds, while closer to Chiang Rai there seem to be more Crested Mynas which I find more interesting.
As I ride my mt bike, I notice birds which I do not see around the house. They seem to be very habitat specific. Maybe there is something about our location which attracts the Plain Jane varieties.wink.png

While searching some external HDD's for pix to post in

the Photography section I came across this pic I shot

back in 2006. The shot was taken near mangroves

in a clearing and this bird was motionless on the ground.

I grabbed a couple pix then got down on the ground for

more...it have a squak and flew away. Anybody have any

idea what bird this is? Up near the beak you will notice

some individual diagonal feathers...if that's any help.

attachicon.gifThai-Swamp Bird01.JPG

Nightjar, at a guess Large-tailed, but I suck at Nightjar ID.

The shot was taken near mangroves

idea what bird this is?

nice shot! It's a Large-tailed Nightjar.

these are crepuscular/nocturnally active birds & you just happened to stumble upon it's day roost

The shot was taken near mangroves

idea what bird this is?

nice shot! It's a Large-tailed Nightjar.

these are crepuscular/nocturnally active birds & you just happened to stumble upon it's day roost

Thanks Goshawk...I always wanted to know what the name of it was.

I darn near stepped on the thing!

Cheers!

I don't photograph birds...well...not the flying type anyway.

However...this afternoon I was cleaning some gear &

realising that I have an older lens that I rarely use

(55-300 Nikon) which I bought for the missus & having

just cleaned it, I put the thing on one of my bodies (D7K)

and started to photograph these birds building a nest

about a meter & a half away from our kitchen door in

a tree that has edible leaves & pods.Needless to say

these birds are not the greatest house builders because

if there's a rain or strong wind the nest just disintigrates.

Population control in the Sun Bird world I guess.

Anyway...here's a few shots of em & their odd nest

which is still not quite complete...

post-146250-0-59098000-1380018494_thumb.post-146250-0-53080100-1380018512_thumb.

post-146250-0-79552300-1380018526_thumb.post-146250-0-35597900-1380018541_thumb.

post-146250-0-38549600-1380018559_thumb.post-146250-0-15078700-1380018589_thumb.

post-146250-0-82466400-1380018603_thumb.

As time goes by and weather permitting I'll try to get more shots

of these lil critters just outside our kitchen door...maybe even

the new addition...whenever it hatches & takes that first leap

into the unknown.

• Like 1