BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
samuijimmy

For The Birds !

Thanks again for more information about the SX50. I was looking for one at a local Canadian camera store but they were out of stock and hopefully will get some in tomorrow when they are on sale for $380 (about 11,000 baht with tax). I have the money and it sure is tempting.

Why don't you use the video mode on the SX50 instead of the Panasonic video recorder? The SX50 shoots in HD which is higher than most video cameras and you have the advantage of a longer lens.

Too bad about that dead rat sitting on your camera. cheesy.gif

Why don't you use the video mode on the SX50 instead of the Panasonic video recorder? The SX50 shoots in HD which is higher than most video cameras and you have the advantage of a longer lens.

...i do use the video on the SX50. But the Panny actually shoots better footage (full HD 1080i @ 50fps as opposed to half speed 24fps on the Canon) when its faster moving subjects i'm after. It's also a good 40x optical zoom too.

and it's a dead cat, not a rat... tongue.png

...i do use the video on the SX50. But the Panny actually shoots better footage (full HD 1080i @ 50fps as opposed to half speed 24fps on the Canon) when its faster moving subjects i'm after. It's also a good 40x optical zoom too.

and it's a dead cat, not a rat... tongue.png

Your video camera must be an updated one. I have older an model of Panasonic and my Nikon AW100 blows it away.

I went and spent $500 today and bought the SX 50. Now I have try and learn how to use it to the best advantage. I've got several good tripods in Canada and I left one in Thailand. I could never justify paying the price of a big lens and a 70 to 300 mm lens is the same price as your little SX 50.

A Black Shouldered Kite hovering near my garden. My favourite rice field raptor. We are blessed with quite a few round here.

post-59731-0-13366000-1370103482_thumb.j

• Like 2

Javan pond heron feeding in a klong near home.

Lost something again

Another go.

Javan Pond Heron feeding in a klong close to home

post-12069-0-91606100-1370260524_thumb.j

post-12069-0-56982200-1370260587_thumb.j

post-12069-0-99376200-1370260643_thumb.j

• Like 2

Lost something again

Another go.

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi.JPG

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi 2 JPG.JPG

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi.3 JPG.JPG

A nice bird. He seems to have lost some of the colour from his breeding plumage(or is just getting it). Where you close?

Here's one of his Chinese cousin ;-)

post-59731-0-71403800-1370263674_thumb.j

Edited by thetefldon
  • Like 1

Lost something again

Another go.

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi.JPG

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi 2 JPG.JPG

attachicon.gifjavan pond heron klong singburi.3 JPG.JPG

In the top picture he has a real grumpy look on his (her) face as if to say "Damn! I missed that fish again"

8900984709_7cc0c25234_c.jpg

P5300401 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

I love the lighting and clarity in that picture, FR. The bird has that "pleased mother" look. What species is it?

Hi Tetefldon

Was quite close probably about 4 or 5 m. spotted it when I was going past on the bike and snuck up and poked the camera over the top of the wall.

Seems the Javan and Chinese are difficult to tell apart unless in breeding colors

Here is one of a Chinese I got in Sanklaburi, not a good pix, was going past in a boat at the time and just had to take a snap at it.

post-12069-0-06194800-1370301163_thumb.j

8900984709_7cc0c25234_c.jpg

P5300401 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

I love the lighting and clarity in that picture, FR. The bird has that "pleased mother" look. What species is it?

The male and female took it in turns to sit on the egg, not sure whether this is the male or the female, or the species; I am crap at these things. The location was very dark and I had to use ISO6400, so quite pleased with way the camera has retained the colours.

• Like 1

It is a Black-Naped Monarch FR, got a pic of one at Hellfire pass.

But I have a puzzle today, someone who knows more about Thai birds than I might be able to help me,

Closest I have got with the following is male Citrine Wagtail in breeding colors but the white saddle and lack of white on the edge of the tail????

post-12069-0-22934700-1370406922_thumb.j

post-12069-0-19127400-1370406972_thumb.j

Appreciate any help, suggestions.

Robby

Appreciate any help, suggestions.

Common Iora... (see post #103)

thumbsup.gif