BANGKOK 19 August 2019 04:24
samuijimmy

For The Birds !

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

According to what I have read, the Brahminy Kite feeds mainly on floating detritus such as dead fish. So, perhaps the injured leg is in that way less of a hindrance than it might be for an osprey, for example.

I did see it circle and then dived a couple of times amongst the reeds/vegetation but was unable to make out what it captured or maybe it failed on those occasions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack2964 said:

I did see it circle and then dived a couple of times amongst the reeds/vegetation but was unable to make out what it captured or maybe it failed on those occasions. 

From the web:

Brahminy kites are known to be opportunistic scavengers that will eat just about anything, including food waste (from boats and rubbish dumps); carrion (dead animals), such as dead fish; and crabs.

They will also hunts live prey, such as small mammals (hares and bats), small birds, crustaceans (crabs), amphibians (frogs and snakes), small reptiles, fish and insects.

Their diet varies considerably between different populations and is influenced by what is readily available in their habitat.

• Thanks 1

Brahminy Kites seem to be referred to as Red Hawks in Thailand. Here's a vid found on YouTube:

• Thanks 1

That would be a great spot to capture some action images. Any idea the exact location in chanthaburi?

Thanks for the heads up. Will surely pay a visit when next in the area.

• Like 1

I caught an injured Barn Owl yesterday. He appears to be an adult. His right wing is injured and missing about half of its feathers. Does anyone know of a Raptor Center of Wildlife Rehab center in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai area?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Doisaketdreamer said:

I caught an injured Barn Owl yesterday. He appears to be an adult. His right wing is injured and missing about half of its feathers. Does anyone know of a Raptor Center of Wildlife Rehab center in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai area?

Try this: 

1. Protective Wing: Bird sanctuary, Chiang Mai, Thailand

https://www.lafargeholcim-foundation.org/projects/protective-wing

(not sure as couldn't find any contact info)

20 hours ago, jack2964 said:

Good to see this not in a cage.

Black-headed munia.JPG

One of my favorites. And one of the birds that got me hooked on birding when i was up in Surin. I have actually never seen one in a cage. Were they caged pet birds or "merit releases"?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

One of my favorites. And one of the birds that got me hooked on birding when i was up in Surin. I have actually never seen one in a cage. Were they caged pet birds or "merit releases"?

They are frequently mixed with other munia species in cages at pet shops or flea markets. My guess they are bought for release to make merit since they don't sing.