"galaxy Note Ii" 6000 Baht - Issues

fanciman

The Bluetooth doesn't work, the shop keeper says. Wireless and Internet are meant to be OK. I don't know about GPS. The battery is meant to be "the same" and it can be replaced with a factory one. I didn't see the stylus in action. It is running Jelly Bean. In the software, you can see the phone version, which ends in "02". I looked for Note II variants and couldn't see one with such an ending; there are N7105 and N7100... (I can't remember the beginning of the variant number.) What could it be?

I like it because it has a big screen and runs jelly bean.

I have some questions and concerns about such a device and would also like to hear your suggestions and opinions.

1. Do some copies like this have built in hardware that could be a security issue?
  2. If one is testing in the shop a phone like this, what procedures should you use to verify the most important hardware is like the original? (eg quad core, LTE support, GPS functioning... there may be some other significant ones.)
  3. To what extent could you rely on the OS that the phone in the shop is running to accuratly report its hardware?
  4. Is there an easy way to check whether the screen is actually AMOLED and what its resolution is?
  5. If you take home a phone like this, what should you do? Download and completely reinstall the OS?
  6. Does anybody have experience with such a phone? How was it?

I look forward to your replies!

Check the internet, this devices are for sale, there.

The newest Android version for 'S3' and 'Note2' is called as 4.1.9 or 4.0.9. That's what you need to google it.

http://www.google.co...iw=1173&bih=611

click on some pictures, for more information.

Ask for the Wifi, to be checked.

Or better, bring a smartphone, you can use as a hotspot, to check wifi.

Get yourself (download via Wifi) a benchmark (AnTuTu) test, to check the proposed hardware (Get a 'extra' google account)

At the Net, the Resolution is said to be 960x540, I think. Benchmark will tell

Check with the 3G Sim for the 3G optionality.

Check the PC to 'Note' USB-compatibility.

Install Temple run and try the display.

Take some pictures, send them to the other smartphone or to a PC

Same with a video clip

Check, what you got. (I think, they telling 8Mb pictures, and 1280/720 HD, right?)

And check for the SD card, which size will work, and the speed of it (Benchmark)

For the display, download 'LCD Test Amoled ready'.

But really, what do you expect, for less than 1/3 of the Samsung price?

I think, only 30% is Samsung, the other 70 is the Quality.

I was playing a bit around with a 'S3', compared it to my real S3, and for the price, i think, it does not look so bad. Display is reacting, but i didn't benchmark it.

And I didn't 'use' it, like I use my Samsung S3.

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

If you ask you will be buying trouble, better off with the real deal nowadays. What happens if it when it beaks down?

Same risk, like with 'imobile IQ 1 or 2', you can loose 6k!

But the 6k price is almost alright, for a cheaper 'no name' device, I think.

It's only inside a 'nicer' design.

A friend at work bought one of the Note 1 copies about 4 months ago. I think he paid 6000 baht also.

It's OK, but a lot slower than my Note 1. (Opening apps, swiping between screens etc.)

Also the camera is pretty crap.

It's not too bad in daylight, but quite bad in low light, and the flash seems to be useless. It also has quite a lag between touching the screen and capturing the photo.

It's running ICS, but I have no idea how you would upgrade it to Jellybean.

I doubt a Samsung ROM would work. It's different hardware inside, despite being a pretty good copy of the external case of the Note 1.

For 6000 baht, it's OK if you just want a cheap and simple web browser/email/chat device.

My friend was upgrading from a tiny Samsung Duos, so he thinks it's great. He still uses it and loves it.

If you have used a Note 1 or 2, then you may not be happy with the performance, but then then again, it costs a lot less.

I don't think it's an AMOLED display. I think it's LCD, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

UPDATE

The price was incorrect. It is 7900 Baht.

It doesn't work with AIS. (Due to frequency - it supports True and DTAC. Bandwidths: 850 and 1800. I don't know if these are the only bandwidths it supports.)

Does it support 4G LTE? They didn't know.

Does the NFC work? They don't know - haven't checked it.

Does the stylus work? Hasn't been demonstrated.

Geo Location on Google maps worked. Whether that is due to being in proximity to mapped wi-fi or because GPS works, I don't know.

The screen is meant to be AMOLED! (That is good. It looked beautiful)

The RAM is a bit under 500 MB. (It is meant to have 2GB, I think.)

Custom ROMs should work with it, though the official one won't.

It is a dual SIM phone- great! Also a slot for a micro-SD card. The phone can handle up to 32GB.