Obtaining Thai Driving Licence:experience

I went today to the office who delivers the thai driving licence near Pattaya (I could say in the middle of nowhere).

There are some changes in the names of the game.

The needed documents are:photocopy of passport ( non imm visa and TM card included);medical check;residence certificate from immigration;2 photos of their special format (explain to your photograph it is for driving licence)

I advice to take with you a thai friend for translation purpose.

2 possibilities:

1° you have a valid international driving licence:no problem;you fullfill a thai only document,they check you see the difference between green and red, you pay 105 bahts and ½ hour later,you receive your thai driving licence :D .

No more code questions, no more bribes (I think that’s why people there were not exactly smiling :o )

2° you don’t have a valid international driving licence:you are there for the whole day.(they don't consider your national driving licence)

You fullfill the thai document, they check you see the difference between green and red.

Like every thai people you have a video explanation (in thai),you receive a thai booklet (or an English booklet) for one hour in order to study the code.A basic exam follows (only in thai ,no translation but you can bring with you somebody to translate and who can answer for you….. :D )

You have to pass a very basic practical test.

You pay 105 bahts and ½ hour later,you receive your thai driving licence.

In Bangkok,it seems if you don’t a valid international driving licence,they would consider a thai translation of your national driving licence (to be checked)

And nobody failed the exam after having had one hour to study the code! :D Now I understand one of the reasons why the thai road traffic is so chaotic here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, sounds reasonable BUT when I want to go back to Australia or the UK or USA, and drive the commodore, Opel or Chev, who will issue the International permit on the Thai Lisence, since that is an Auto Club who normally does that ???

Fair enough, sounds reasonable BUT when I want to go back to Australia or the UK or USA, and drive the commodore, Opel or Chev, who will issue the International permit on the Thai Lisence, since that is an Auto Club who normally does that ???

The Royal Automobile Club of Thailand in Rachadapisek.

How I read the first part is that the all applicants require residence Certificate and

TM card?

The needed documents are:photocopy of passport ( non imm visa and TM card included);medical check;residence certificate from immigration;2 photos of their special format (explain to your photograph it is for driving licence)

Does this mean one can't drive until one receives residence status? or does this mean one drives on an international licence in the meantime?

Mijan24 :o

You get a one year driving licence when you show them your Internationale driving licence, but only Thais and holders of Thai residency permits are allowed long-term licences.

Not True.

Anyone can have a five year license the second time around

You get a one year driving licence when you show them your Internationale driving licence, but only Thais and holders of Thai residency permits are allowed long-term licences.

Not True.

Anyone can have a five year license the second time around

A foreigner MUST have a Non-Immigrant visa ( any category ) to be allowed to get a drivers license in Thailand.

So.. how is this procedure different from before then? :o

I agree with you

I cannot see any change...

Looks the same as last July.

Your Address can be documented

with a letter from your Embassy

instead of Immigration.

However Immigration letter costs much less

than Letter from British Embassy

- Bht 1,400 (Last July)

The Transport Department also Issue

International Licences to holders of

Thai Driver's Licences.

Ib Bangkok there are 2 separate Counters

Next to each other:

Thai Licences & International Licences.

It seems they like a lincence to expire before they

Renew it - but I think I am right in saying that you

do have a year in which to apply for a renewal

after the expiry of the previous one.

Roger

My international driving license runs out in June I think. I went to the test centre to get my Thai license but was told that I needed to get a residence certificate. I see from the posts above that I can get a letter from my embassy. Or from immigration.

Anyone know what the process is for immigration ? What documents do I need ?

Hi, can anyone tell me more about the colour tests? I'm colour blind, or at least I'm told I am, but never have a problem with driving and judging reds and greens. It also doesn't stop me holding a UK, Singapore and International licence. Will it stop me getting a Thai licence? Thanks.

Maybe its not true Thetyim, or maybe it has changed the last month!

To be issued a Thai driving licence without taking the written and practical tests, you will need to show your international driving license, which must conform to the Convention on International Road Traffic 19 September 1949. This should be printed on the front cover of the license.

You will also be required to pass an eyesight test and bring the following documents (plus photocopies of each) when applying: your international driving license, passport with your non-immigrant visa, work permit or a letter showing your address from an immigration office, a medical certificate proving you are fit to drive, as well as two one-inch photos.

If you apply for car and motorbike licenses, you will need to bring two copies of each document.

The fee is 105 baht for a car license and 55 baht for a motorbike license.

For more information, contact the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office on Rattanakosin 200 Pi Rd, Phuket Town, between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm on weekdays. Tel: 076-220792 or 076-211019. ”

Thursday, November 14, 2002 Officer, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

Thailand has an agreement with some countries, including Japan, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and the US, that allows people to drive in those countries using Thai driving licenses.

Another option is to exchange your Thai driving license for one issued in the country where you want to drive. For full details of what options are available, you should contact the relevant embassy in Thailand.

Finally, many people who want to drive in a foreign country should obtain an Interntational Driving Permit before travelling. This permit, which is valid for one year, allows the holder to drive in any of at least 168 countries that signed the Convention on International Road Traffic of September 19, 1949.

International Driving Permits issued in Thailand are issued by the Department of Land Transportation (DLT). For more information, contact the DLT Bangkok office at 1032 Phaholyothin Rd, Lad Yao, Chatujak, BKK 10900. Tel/Fax: 02-272 3614-6. Website: http://dlt.motc.go.th

Friday, May 23, 2003 Roongpop Traiyasunun, Transportation Technical Office, DLT, Bangkok.

Only Thais and holders of Thai residency permits are allowed long-term licences.

Second, if you change any details on your licenses when uprgading from provisional to full license, there is no need to pay more than the fee for renewing them.

If you wish to change details on your license when you renew it, there will be a 50-baht charge plus a processing fee of five baht in addition to the fee for renewing the license.

Thai law requires every person holding a driver’s license to notify their local Transportation Office of any change of details stated on the license.

For more information please call the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office at 076-214929 or 076-214930. ”

SoonToBee,I am in the same situation.

Doctors told me i am "half colour blind" :D .I don't see the difference between some colours especially when the light is not good(some greens apear blue to me.....).No problem in Europ.But here I was happy to have a clever thai lady with me as the conditions were non optimal for me

I suggest you forget your english,you answer in a strange language like french :D (my native language) and one of your thai friend gives the correct answer :o

Good luck man.

Last month I just renewed my Thai driving license after 1 year.

I've got extension for 5 years.

They've told me not to come on the same day(not exactly after one year),

than they could extend it only for 1 year.

So I went 2 days later and got the 5 years.

Down in Phuket here..........

Gerd

Thaigerd.

Do you have a residence permit? I mean have you achieved Thai citizenship and the rights to stay forever.

If not, well then it looks like the practise is different regarding how long time you get the licence for. :o

He didn't need a residence permit. All he needed was a Non-Immigrant visa of any category.

Well if the offices that grant the driving licence say one thing, but do another thing, then it’s not really easy to know what the norm is.

Could it be that you need to have had licence (Thai) for a period of years before you get it for long time?

Well if the offices that grant the driving licence say one thing, but do another thing, then it’s not really easy to know what the norm is.

Could it be that you need to have had licence (Thai) for a period of years before you get it for long time?

They wouldn't let farang have a long term license at all until recently. You can easily get a five year license now as long as you hold or have held a one year license

Hello

This is my first posting here, and I have just come back today from getting my Thai driving licence in Pattaya. I went there in a group of nine people from Pattaya ex pats club. We were well prepared by the club prior to our visit about what to take with us, all the photocopies etc. I had an International Driving Permit and was applying for both a car and bike licence. Easy I was told. I had less problems than others, but I still had problems. They wouldn't give me a bike licence, as the international permit didn't have a picture of a bike on it. So I had to take a written test (for the bike only). This test was typed by a typewriter and in very poor English. The questions weren't understandable, and even the ones that were, you couldn't understand the answers. I failed the test, of course and was told I had to re-take it 2 hours later. I explained I would fail again as the English was very poor. I got nowhere so I decided to cut my loses and take the car licence only. Everyone in my group had problems and were not issued everything they wanted. The Americans had problems with thier US licences and 2 had to take the whole test. Some got bike licences and not cars, the Europeans were getting cars and not bikes, it was a real mess. 2 refused to take the test and walked out with nothing.

My advice is turn up and expect there to be problems.

I just love it. Reading all these reports about getting driving licences. What a hoot! I'm afraid that my experiences of the Drivers Licence Authority, is that it is staffed by a crowd of moronic, desk-bound idiots, who couldn't organise a panic on a ship wreak. I have been told by Thai friends that they don't bother going to get a licence has they can't be done with the bureaucratic bullshit and hassle they get. Hence, half of the population has no licence and are therefore allowed to drive , legally, like idiots. Indeed, a colleague of mine, discussed the problem of under-aged school kids racing around on motorcycles all day and night, with a seniorThai police officer friend. The police officer said to him, straight faced, that his men couldn't arrest them as they weren't old enough to obtain a licence, and they could only be caught and charged for not having a licence, if they were actually old enough to legally get one! As for me, well I got a 5 year licence last week, I said I only wanted one for a year as I'm escaping. No, no, said the man, you must have a five year one! When I first got my annual one, they wouldn't believe that my crdit card style UK/EU licence was real?! And, that I could drive anywhere in Europe on that licence. I had to get a letter from my employer, from the boss of City Hall, from the Governor of the Province and my landlord. I'm not joking!! Although I am qualified to drive anything on wheels and tracks and was a military HGV/Tracked Vehicle (tanks to those not in the military) driving instructor, they'd only give me a motorbike licence!? Laugh, I almost wet myself! After moving to another province, I had to go through the whole process again. Like others on this site, I found the new Licencing Office out in the sticks (actually 23klms from town), as you rode (remember, motorcycle) up the dirt track to it, there was a corral full of buffalo in front of the building. I'm not kidding! My wife took a photograph of me standing by the corral with the government office in the background. When my friends ask what it is, I say it's me when I went to do my Buffalo Licence. You've got to laugh otherwise you'd cry.