Australian Tourist Found Dead From Possible Drug Overdose In Phuket Resort

webfact

Australian tourist found dead from possible drug overdose in Phuket resort

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Patong police believe an Australian tourist who was found dead in his Phuket hotel room yesterday died from a drug overdose.

The 45-year-old, whose name has yet to be released to the public by police, was staying at resort in the Patong beach area.

Captain Teerasak Boonsang of the Patong Police told the Phuket Gazette the man’s body was discovered at about 4pm.

“We believe he has been dead for two days,’’ Capt Boonsang said.

The police examination of the room uncovered an empty bottle of medication for preventing seizures and convulsions.

“There was also blood stains around his nose,’’ Capt Boonsang added.

The man’s family, who arrive in Phuket today, confirmed the man had no health issues that they were aware of.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...sort-19940.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 'gobsmacked'............No health issues, but medication for seizures and convulsions ?

Where does the "possible drug overdose" theory come from .

The medicine is considered a drug. Still can overdose on prescription meds that are sold over the counter here.

Amazing Thailand a place where every 1 in 10,000 visitors becomes a casualty. Which other tourist destination the world-over can claim such an amazing reputation. Maybe its something in the water.

Sadly that could well be a tourist who has drowned or been hit by a boat or jetski. Edited by jacko45k

It seems like a lot of foreigners who come on vacation to Thailand die here. If I were a scientific minded person I guess I would look at the number of vacationer deaths as a percentage of tourists. If the official number of tourists is around 15 million, and we adjust for the number of Thais and other foreigners who come on tourist visas for whatever reason... we can guess the number of holiday makers in a year is ... I dont know... lets say 10 million. So it seems to me a few are gonna die.

Another topic is violent deaths or violence perpetrated on foreigners. From personal experience... I would say the rate of violence in other western countries is much higher than the rate in Thailand. I am never nervous walking anywhere here late at night (although I must admit you won't find me in lower sukumvit).

• Like 2

I am 'gobsmacked'............No health issues, but medication for seizures and convulsions ?

The medicine is considered a drug. Still can overdose on prescription meds that are sold over the counter here.

Yes, and add alcohol, which is another drug, to those prescription drugs and it can be fatal.

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand a place where every 1 in 10,000 visitors becomes a casualty. Which other tourist destination the world-over can claim such an amazing reputation. Maybe its something in the water.

I am not doubting this, but do you have a credible source that you can add as an citation please?

How about we look at the big RED stop light which is shining into our faces and wait,wait,wait, for a while for a real explanation!

Spoilsport!

Where's the fun in that? (sic)

Let us alone, we can all rubberneck and speculate as much as we like!!

(We've obviously got nothing better to do)

Nevermind TiT,

TiTV!!

• Like 2

Maybe your just anti Thai. Have a look at the many tourists die in Australia from trying to cross a desert without supplies and against warnings, go swimming in croc infested waters where it states don't enter etc etc.

Can't understand why blokes like you just can't wait to have a dig at Thailand.

Good on ya AliasJohn, If they think Thailand is so bad, then why don't they just go away. In fact, if they did just go away, Thailand may have fewer falang deaths.

Sure, but why meds for seizures? Are they know for creating a great buzz?

Most anit seizure meds are not addictive so that would lead me to believe they don't give you a buzz. But maybe this chap found just the right drug that does, and, knowing the quality of drugs distributed in Thailand he could have overdosed just taking the normal doseage.

Maybe your just anti Thai. Have a look at the many tourists die in Australia from trying to cross a desert without supplies and against warnings, go swimming in croc infested waters where it states don't enter etc etc.

There are about 3 non fatal croc attacks each year, I would say maybe only 1 fatality each 3 - 5 years on top of that.....about 40 tourists are killed a year in the outback mostly through traffic accidents, very few die trying to cross deserts as a result of being ill prepared.

Wow Google this stuff before spouting off.......its not hard

• Like 1

Most recently, Afghanistan and Iraq come to mind. Seriously, why are you so surprised? What other places do so many naive foreigners go to enjoy endless pussy, booze, and drugs; and at real affordable prices? Don't you think it may have something to do with the, 'who gives a shit, let's party" attitude?

Sure, but it could also have have something to do with the "I just bought a condo on Phuket in my Thai girlfriend's name" attitude.

I'm not speculating that is the case here, BUT, you would be naive to think this has not been the motive to commit murder in Thailand in the past.

Indian students stabbed to death in Australia, German tourist eaten by crocodile in Australia, Asian women sold for prostitutes in Australia, British couple murdered in Australia, bodies not recovered, many tourist beaten and robbed in Australia because they are tourist.

I am sure if the numbers were crunched Australia has a much higher crime rate than Thailand and less than 1/3 the population.

I wonder if there will be a royal commission into the Monks for child abuse offences like what is starting to happen in Australia at present.

I feel much safer walking at night in Thailand than I ever would if I was in the city of Melbourne or even the Gold coast has a murder every week.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Alas, Australia has registered and insured metered taxis. Phuket has rip off priced unsafe tuk-tuks.

How many die here on the roads???? Why don't you compared the road statistics here to those in Australia????

The real, and everyday risk to all inhabitants on the island is on the roads here. They are dangerous, and you risk your health and life everytime you use them.

Road death is counted as a death by misadventure, and because there are so many road deaths here, they really paint Phuket in a poor light when it comes to tourists dying on the island.

Edited by NamKangMan

Because everyone is ragging on Australia, I tried to find out stats to compare the two countries Australia, has around 1/3 the tourists of Thailand per year with around a total of 400 deaths....heart attacks, car crashes etc, what is the total death rates for Thailand, I can't find them anybody know?

t.

I feel much safer walking at night in Thailand than I ever would if I was in the city of Melbourne or even the Gold coast has a murder every week.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

oh dear...

The entire state of Queensland has less than 50 murders in a year, so for the Gold Coast to achieve a murder a week on the back of that statistic is a remarkable achievement.

• Like 1

I am not doubting this, but do you have a credible source that you can add as an citation please?

Start here....http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/IHS-rates-05012009.pdf

Then go here....http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

Do a little math on the numbers and you'll see that the Aussie bashers (not you, BTW, later posts here on this thread) are a little off base.

I remember reading somewhere that of the total tourist who do die in Thailand, Aussies are mostly the biggest percentage.

I have never heard that. Where did you read it? Please link your source.

In 2009 Thailand ranked 5th for Aussie holiday deaths 378,000 Aussie visitors and 105 deaths

Because there are SO MANY opportunities to do so.