Australian Tourist Found Dead From Possible Drug Overdose In Phuket Resort

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like a lot of foreigners who come on vacation to Thailand die here. If I were a scientific minded person I guess I would look at the number of vacationer deaths as a percentage of tourists. If the official number of tourists is around 15 million, and we adjust for the number of Thais and other foreigners who come on tourist visas for whatever reason... we can guess the number of holiday makers in a year is ... I dont know... lets say 10 million. So it seems to me a few are gonna die.

Another topic is violent deaths or violence perpetrated on foreigners. From personal experience... I would say the rate of violence in other western countries is much higher than the rate in Thailand. I am never nervous walking anywhere here late at night (although I must admit you won't find me in lower sukumvit).

I remember reading somewhere that of the total tourist who do die in Thailand, Aussies are mostly the biggest percentage.

Why? i think you must look at the nanny state Australia have become. To many rule and laws governing all things make it so that the population are like some scared kid cowering in a corner.

Australia did fall for the political correctness thing many years ago and all downhill from there...soon it will be as bad as England is now IMO.

Now in Oz there will be more uproar in the media over some pet who get neglected by its owner... even this will come before any issues regarding any wellbeing of the people.

Open the doors to all and sundry, let every country in, and then find it make the country broke trying to provide healthcare and benefit to every person they did let in.

Then of course they raise the taxes to oblivion, especially in alcohol and cigarettes..taxed beyond the reach of any ordinary worker, so is like taking the drugs away from an addict....and of course the only culture Australia is...drinking beer culture.

Next thing the "addict"" will come to Thailand and find that he can buy 5 bottles of beer for the same price he pay for 1 bottle at home. Then he go crazy on the beer or whatever, and so easy to get drugs, so he will want to take advantage of the cheap price while he can

Next thing while half wasted he will make a bad decision...get on a bike...choose a bad girl....mouth off at the wrong person...or even stay in the hotel room and get hammered still has a risk anywhere.

If one population stand out at being a high percentage of the total casualtys, then surely you must assume the choice these people make for themself does lead to their own decline. Sorry, but cannot blaim Thailand or its people for the quality of the tourist they do attract

I'd comment but what passes for logic in this post defies belief.

Of course i was talking about extreme cases and not family travellers, anyway you did take the time to post yet you cannot even comment on one thing in my post that you think denies logic?

It was defies logic but OK let me try to explain. The story that started this thread is about an Australian tourist who dies in his hotel room in Phuket from a drug overdose. Your post somehow connects his death to Australia becoming a nanny state, immigration and having to support those people on the welfare system, political correctness, taxes on alcohol and cigarettes so that means Australian's addicts are going to get on a plane, fly to Phuket because they can buy 5 bottles of beer for the price of 1 in Australia, take drugs, ride a bike (presumably while drunk), meet a bar girl, get into a fight for mouthing off to the wrong person then go back to their hotel room and expire. All of this from an Australian tourist dying in his hotel room from a possible drug overdose. Edited by saroq
  • Like 2

@saroq: You forgot to highlight that according to his post Australian culture is one dimensional - beer drinking, but he did resort to bigotry, so at a minimum it's two dimensional. I guess must be living within a bogan culture - unless the post was an attempt at flaming.

How about we look at the big RED stop light which is shining into our faces and wait,wait,wait, for a while for a real explanation!

Spoilsport!

Where's the fun in that? (sic)

Let us alone, we can all rubberneck and speculate as much as we like!!

(We've obviously got nothing better to do)

Nevermind TiT,

TiTV!!

Sadly appropriate for the majority of posts concerning news articles reported here.

I remember Larry Cunningham stating in some publication how many Australians die in Phuket each year. It would be an interesting thing to see if anyone can find it

The below link appeared in Australian media mid 2012. It gives the statistics.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/10/09/16/57/thailand-tops-australian-death-list

Larry's last public statement, to my knowledge, was the below article.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/aussies-warned-about-phuket-scamsters-20121223-2btzi.html

Amazing Thailand a place where every 1 in 10,000 visitors becomes a casualty. Which other tourist destination the world-over can claim such an amazing reputation. Maybe its something in the water.

Maybe your just anti Thai. Have a look at the many tourists die in Australia from trying to cross a desert without supplies and against warnings, go swimming in croc infested waters where it states don't enter etc etc.

Can't understand why blokes like you just can't wait to have a dig at Thailand.

There are about 3 non fatal croc attacks each year, I would say maybe only 1 fatality each 3 - 5 years on top of that.....about 40 tourists are killed a year in the outback mostly through traffic accidents, very few die trying to cross deserts as a result of being ill prepared.

Wow Google this stuff before spouting off.......its not hard

We are talking holiday destiantions here not war zones.........Most dangerous cities in the world are Kuala Lumpur, Brussels,Mumbai, Cape Town,Marrakech,Moscow,Buenos Aires,Sharm el Sheikh,Rio de Janeiro but if you want to go on a suicide mission one should try Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic where the results are normally final......it normally follows that if your city is dangerous you country is worse

Amazing Thailand a place where every 1 in 10,000 visitors becomes a casualty. Which other tourist destination the world-over can claim such an amazing reputation. Maybe its something in the water.

Maybe your just anti Thai. Have a look at the many tourists die in Australia from trying to cross a desert without supplies and against warnings, go swimming in croc infested waters where it states don't enter etc etc.

Can't understand why blokes like you just can't wait to have a dig at Thailand.

The Thai bib have worked hard to earn the bad reputation they have. No idea what the truth might be in this case, and not going to jump on the cover-up bandwagon, but this kind of tongue-wagging is just what you have to expect with a law enforcement establishment this world-renowned for its corruption and ineffectiveness.

• Yes the man has a family. The opening post stated that the family were arriving and stated that they knew of no medical condition he had.

This reporter or the police must be clarvoyant as this article was posted at 12pm Saturday Phuket time. His family were not notified until late Saturday evening Australian time and certainly made no comment then or since.

RIP

Tingtongtourist it may be in your best interest to research a little before posting statistics and reread your posts before posting. Your reference to Australians being the largest percentage of deaths of tourists in Thailand seems floored. A simple Google search would suggest this.

Your beer pricing calculations of 5 to 1 seems a bit off also, my calculations make beer in Oz about 30 to 50% more expensive.

You have labeled passengers who fly Air Asia as "bogans" and then admitted you fly with them?

May I suggest you adhere to that age old line "remove all doubt"

Cheers I'm off to have a 20 baht beer.(I wish)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

• 3 weeks later...