Bicycling

ianpants69

My friend and I have bought bicycles to get a bit of exercise but have quickly grown bored of riding around the estate we live on. Neither of us are keen to cycle on the roads if it can be avoided. I know that Lumpinee and Phudda Monthon are good bets for cycling but we are looking for somewhere a bit closer, we live in the Rama 2 area. Any suggestions???

Also I noticed on an old copy of one of those illustrated maps of Bangkok an advert for organized cycling trips around Prapadaeng however the number no-longer works. Anyone know what happened to that?

My friend and I have bought bicycles to get a bit of exercise but have quickly grown bored of riding around the estate we live on. Neither of us are keen to cycle on the roads if it can be avoided. I know that Lumpinee and Phudda Monthon are good bets for cycling but we are looking for somewhere a bit closer, we live in the Rama 2 area. Any suggestions???

Also I noticed on an old copy of one of those illustrated maps of Bangkok an advert for organized cycling trips around Prapadaeng however the number no-longer works. Anyone know what happened to that?

http://www.bangkokbiking.com/

just have a look

Suan Rodfai (Railway Park?) next to Jatujak Park at Lardprao - Viphabaee Rangsit intersection has a nice cyling course and rental cycles but hard to find parking there on weekends. Lumpinee Park doesn't allow bicycling in principle (or perhaps only on weekdays). I've also heard of a nice cycling course in Phraphradaeng area somewhere across the river from Kloeng Toey but I haven't been able to locate it. Maybe bicycle shops like ProBike knows. They also organize cycling tours outside Bangkok. If I live on Rama 2 I would not come to city center to ride a bicycle.

Edited by Nordlys

Would really recommend going to Bang Krachao - ie the area of green south of the bend in the Chao Praya river. To get there go to the pier at the Port Authority of Thailand just south of Klong Toey market - pay for one of the longtails to take you and your bikes across and once across just enjoy cycling around Bangkok's lungs. There is one road but the area mainly consists of concrete pathways on which you can cycle through a very green and unusual area for Bangkok - v nice.

If you would prefer someone to take you round Amazing Bangkok Cycles do it.

Enjoy

Lucky

Would really recommend going to Bang Krachao - ie the area of green south of the bend in the Chao Praya river. To get there go to the pier at the Port Authority of Thailand just south of Klong Toey market - pay for one of the longtails to take you and your bikes across and once across just enjoy cycling around Bangkok's lungs. There is one road but the area mainly consists of concrete pathways on which you can cycle through a very green and unusual area for Bangkok - v nice.

Thanks for this info, 1Lucky. Is this by any chance a cycling course off limit to cars?

Nordlys

Yup basically off limits to cars. I think there is a way to get to the area via road if you wanted to get your bikes in the general vicinity first, but I think it is a bit of a trek and I think there is only one road down the centre of it - all the rest is tracks about a meter wide which you couldn't fit a car down. :o