Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Tywais

the not so good side effect of adding filter paper to an A/C unit is that it puts more strain on the blower motor and can cause it wear out faster.

It isn't actually paper it's more like rockwool or fibreglass and it's unlikely to constrain the airflow to any meaningful degree, looking at the stuff makes you wonder how it can be so effective but it does work very well.

not my experience. I use one layer of 3m filtrete sheets and it strains the motor. Can definitely hear the difference to the motor.

I have a LG Inverter type A/C bought about a year ago.

I'm surprised but I don't doubt what you say, I wonder however if using Filtrette doesn't just change the acoustics inside the unit rather than increasing the load, dunno and I'm not an engineer. smile.png

I use it on the outside so its pulling air in thru the filtrete

Using it inside did the same motor change but would blow air around the filtrete edges

A non inverter type a/c isn't constantly adjusting the motor speed so maybe less noticeable.

In any case an A/C unit is designed for a given level of resistance and and filtrete definitely changes the air flow rate.

I still use it during the bad air period as it traps lot's of soot but no free lunch me thinks.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the 3m FAQ

So seems like both are possible

1- if left in too long

2- if a high efficiency unit

Do I have to worry about restricted airflow with Filtrete filters?

If you use a Filtrete filter for longer than three months,
it may begin to restrict airflow or cause your heating/cooling system to malfunction.
It also could restrict airflow in some higher-efficiency air conditioning systems.
When in doubt, change the filter more frequently.

I use new filtrete layer to make that observation.

My inverter type A/C is definitely high efficiency type. My power bills went down dramatically and I use the A/C a lot more since installing it.

The new unit also has a Plasma Ion generator which seems to ground offending particles faster than using Filtrete.

The two used together are fairly effective way to clean the air.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

How is the air quality in Chiang Mai when the burning is not going on?

it's pretty good except if your on the roadways where its still often thick and chewy

That's true when you live anywhere near a main road. Before we bought house and land out in the rice fields, we lived in a moo baan about 500mt from the Doi Saket hi way and proof was that our fans had a constant coat of black soot [had to clean monthly] and our daughter had constant respiratory problems. This was all year, not just the burning season.

After moving to the rice fields,..............nearest hiway 5k, Daughter has not had any problems and fans only get a little grey dust that has to be cleaned 2 or 3x/year.

Hi ways are deadly in more ways than one......

• Like 1

It's been a rough week up here in Mae Taeng with four days of very bad air. People at the local market were complaining about stinging eyes and at the same time stacking limps from a cut tree so it can be burned later in the day. Afternoon winds are still helping move it up and and away but by dusk it is already building again. It seems this is the worst year in about seven I can remember but don't have the data to back it up. Could not escape this year but will certainly be ready next year. Chiang Mai's data certainly looks bad with the last five days over the 120 uG/cubic meter limit:

8587338191_c113e199bd.jpg

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

Where do I find this chart online?

It's been a rough week up here in Mae Taeng with four days of very bad air. People at the local market were complaining about stinging eyes and at the same time stacking limps from a cut tree so it can be burned later in the day. Afternoon winds are still helping move it up and and away but by dusk it is already building again. It seems this is the worst year in about seven I can remember but don't have the data to back it up. Could not escape this year but will certainly be ready next year. Chiang Mai's data certainly looks bad with the last five days over the 120 uG/cubic meter limit:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

Where do I find this chart online?

its at http://aqmthai.com/

It's not english so a little tricky. Click on the middle tab choice(blue) in the menu and click report tab and you will see this page

post-27132-0-10398700-1364183209_thumb.j

• Like 1

With the air as bad as it is these days, when out of doors or in an environment where the air is otherwise not filtered, I try as much as possible to wear a disposable 3M mask for particulates, the 8210 N95 model, which is advertised as being capable of filtering out particles down to .3 microns in size.

It has been interesting for me to discover in the last couple of days that as little as three or four hours of use can blacken the mask noticeably, illustrating graphically how foul the air is, and providing yet another incentive to wear one.

Lucky for me I got assigned to go to Korat. Just when things were starting to get worse.

Yes, my eyes really hurt last Sunday, and a lot of people have been complaining but I haven't seen an end to the fires. Now they're blaming the fire in Mae Hong Son that killed those refugeees for the smog. BTW, those Yingluck signboards have been poppong out now:D

Hopefully in a week things will be better when I have to get back to Mae Taeng.

Unholy Smokes !

The AQM "Report" site showing detailed tabular (by the hour) data for Chiang Mai for today (Tuesday) now reports PM10 = 297 (!) at Yupparaj Wittayalai at 11am today, and 165.14 at 10am, and City Hall reported at 157.5 at 11am.

The main page summarizing all AQI listings, shows Chiang Mai Yupparaj at PM10 = 171 at 11am: the value #297 appears only if you use the "Annotated TimeLine" view, and click the "Table" option for view type; all other views are consistent with a reading of #171.

I assume this an error in measurement, or editing, etc., unless a major fire just happened near that monitoring station, or a cyclone just transported 100 million cubic meters of air direct from Mae Hong Son and dropped it on Thanon Phra Pok Klao.

Seeing a PM-10 of 297 did give me a certain tingling sensation.

yours, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Unholy Smokes !

The AQM "Report" site showing detailed tabular (by the hour) data for Chiang Mai for today (Tuesday) now reports PM10 = 297 (!) at Yupparaj Wittayalai at 11am today, and 165.14 at 10am, and City Hall reported at 157.5 at 11am.

The main page summarizing all AQI listings, shows Chiang Mai Yupparaj at PM10 = 171 at 11am: the value #297 appears only if you use the "Annotated TimeLine" view, and click the "Table" option for view type; all other views are consistent with a reading of #171.

I assume this an error in measurement, or editing, etc., unless a major fire just happened near that monitoring station, or a cyclone just transported 100 million cubic meters of air direct from Mae Hong Son and dropped it on Thanon Phra Pok Klao.

Seeing a PM-10 of 297 did give me a certain tingling sensation.

I think its the difference between a spot reading and 24 hour moving average. At 12:00 its 122.

The moving average avoids huge changes in the figures when a passing wave of dirt hits.

• Like 1

Actually I didn't notice how bad the smoke could affect me until yesterday I had to go out for lunch! Well at least one good thing I don't have to wear sunglasses when going out for lunch

It's not all that bad really

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Aristide,

I hope that if you do attend the golf tournament, it will have no impact on your health, and you'll have a great time.

However, if (may it not be so) you end up hospitalized for respiratory distress of some kind, please PM me your hospital name and room number; I like bringing flowers to ailing strangers: makes me feel a lot better (and, I assure you, that is not a form of schadenfreude).

On the other hand, if you are hospitalized for other reasons, such as ingrown toe-nail, or the usual orthopaedeic injuries resulting from mistaking concrete areas on the sides of Thai streets for "sidewalks:" while I'll extend to you my deepest sympathies, you don't get the visit and the flowers (sorry, you have to set limits somewhere).

Edited by ARISTIDE

Over 90,000 Patients Have Suffered from Pollution Related Illness Since January – Doctors are Concerned

CityNews

– On 22nd March, 10 a.m. at Chiang Mai Public Health Office, Wattana
Kanjanakamon, head doctor, reported on the problem in Chiang Mai where,
according to him over 90,000 people have suffered from respiratory problems,
heart disease, eye infections and dermatological diseases, all related to bad
air quality.

More here - Chiangmaicitynews

Looking at the weather charts, it sure doesn't look like there is any possible change in the weather in the next week or so. Things are getting dryer in the hills so more burning can be expected. Will be interesting to see how bad the levels get in Chiang Mai.

How about someone organize a contest where TV members guess the high PM10 interday record for the season? Highest measure of either CM station.

One of the deep pocket business owner types can throw in some cool prizes.

Any bar owners want to pledge some bar girls or free beer day????

Any ideas?

Looking at the weather charts, it sure doesn't look like there is any possible change in the weather in the next week or so. Things are getting dryer in the hills so more burning can be expected. Will be interesting to see how bad the levels get in Chiang Mai.

Once again: you don't need a radical change in the weather for things to improve significantly, and return to more healthy levels.

When it's all done in a week or so I'll tot up the numbers for the season. It looks like a fairly good year subjectively (based on how late in the season things got underway), but I haven't done the math yet.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The Thai language Chiang Mai portal www.cm108.com has just posted evidence that officers of the pollution control department are manipulating the measurement stations. An alleged officer named Sunny Sittikul has posted a statement saying that officers in Chiang Rai were instructed "from high above" to reduce measured PM10 levels by spraying water around the measurement stations. There is also a photo published showing a man spraying water on a PCD measurement station using a high-powered hose.

Judge for yourself: http://www.facebook.com/chiangmai108?ref=stream

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

The Thai language Chiang Mai portal www.cm108.com has just posted evidence that officers of the pollution control department are manipulating the measurement stations. An alleged officer named Sunny Sittikul has posted a statement saying that officers in Chiang Rai were instructed "from high above" to reduce measured PM10 levels by spraying water around the measurement stations. There is also a photo published showing a man spraying water on a PCD measurement station using a high-powered hose.

Judge for yourself: http://www.facebook.com/chiangmai108?ref=stream

Cheers, CM-Expat

oh snap. No real surprise really. Cheat city.

I have always thought if they put measuring stations at intersections etc like they do in the US then it would show a completely different picture.

Thanks for finding and posting that!!!

When it's all done in a week or so I'll tot up the numbers for the season. It looks like a fairly good year subjectively (based on how late in the season things got underway), but I haven't done the math yet.

Winnie, you really take the prize for being in permanent denial. This isn't a fairly good year. It is another year with long periods of hazardous air pollution that keeps taking a toll on people's health.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

Winnie, you really take the prize for being in permanent denial. This isn't a fairly good year. It is another year with long periods of hazardous air pollution that keeps taking a toll on people's health.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I don't buy the good year comment either. The visibilities have been lower than my experience in the last seven years and I've had more stinging eyes and coughing than prior years. I'm living in the maw of the monster now however as the smoke from the fresh burns in the hills falls directly to me in the night. Taking trips to Chiang Mai, the air there is always noticeably better, whereas in the clean season, a trip to Chiang Mai seems awful smoggy. All a matter of perspective I guess. No matter what the data says, this air is very unhealthy. There is nothing "fairly good" about it.

On another note, I was talking to a CMU researcher today and there was a study a few years ago that proved that those button mushrooms the locals collect do indeed grow better after the surrounding vegetation is burned. The 40 baht or so that they make on a bucket of mushrooms at the market makes the burning worth it.

Edited by T_Dog

well, kinda depends on where you get your numbers from too... i mean, subjective experience, burning eyes, etc... is fine... but some rely on the "numbers"... and someone here is playing a game..

http://www.aqicn.info/?city=Thailand%2F%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88

gives significantly lower numbers than the aqmthai.com site... go figure...

well, kinda depends on where you get your numbers from too... i mean, subjective experience, burning eyes, etc... is fine... but some rely on the "numbers"... and someone here is playing a game..

http://www.aqicn.info/?city=Thailand%2F%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88

gives significantly lower numbers than the aqmthai.com site... go figure...

go back and look at the interday data and there are lot of low sharp valley's

Could that be favorable winds or favorable water hoses?