Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder when Priceless' birthday is..

http://tinyurl.com/bl6s4wh

Then we'd finally get beyond 'It must be the worst year ever because I had a cough this morning, and I don't trust government data.'

yeah maybe but because Priceless is always on the same side of various issues then how long until cm108 catches him with a sprinkler and a oscillating fan?

I guess if there are enough sensors reporting then it will cancel out the misters and hotboxers.

Well, I miss Priceless, who apparently can't be bothered any longer with us hoi polloi ! He has made some very admirable contributions to the discussion in previous years.

yeah Priceless elevates the discussion with good technical points and fun things to look at.

Once a group of these sensors are uploading data it will be even more interesting to data mine and intrepret the data.

The real pollution story with better data might be strange and variable based on specific locations. Such as concentrations of pollutants in more constricted areas due to air flow etc.

Hopefully Priceless will wade into that area of analysis. Its more complicated.

I saw new car MFG's are toying around with built in air quality sensors that could be uploading info even when parked.

• Like 1

Because otherwise there'd be no way to track if it gets better or worse, other than through people staring out a window and personal anecdotes. Imagine trying to debate the issue then. (Oh, wait..

I saw the mountain today! We're in the clear!

Sounds like a religious experience !! But those can be disappointing , too!! smile.png

• Like 1

Since yesterday every time I try to access the agmthai.com website to see what the PM10 levels are at my Avast anti virus program pops up and blocks it saying there is a Trojan Horse virus. Anyone else getting this on their computer?

Since yesterday every time I try to access the agmthai.com website to see what the PM10 levels are at my Avast anti virus program pops up and blocks it saying there is a Trojan Horse virus. Anyone else getting this on their computer?

was before but working now.

The Yupparaj site is showing higher values but after eyeballing the site a few days ago I think I know why.

They have demolished the buildings around it and lots of debris and dust.. No signs of watering.

Does anyone have picts or seen the city hall equipment? might be next to some sprinklers.

Well, I miss Priceless, who apparently can't be bothered any longer with us hoi polloi ! He has made some very admirable contributions to the discussion in previous years.

One suspects that Priceless would be happy to return to educate the masses provided certain rules were adhered to, the most important being that no farang resident of Chiang Mai be allowed to post on the subject of pollution during the burning season until he/she has lived here for at least five years, in many ways and with the benefit of hindsight, that would be the right thing to do.

Anyone computer savvy know why I keep getting a "Trojan Horse Blocked" warning from Avast when I try to access the aqmthai site? Is it an error with the anti-virus software or does the aqmthai website in fact contain a virus?

Anyone computer savvy know why I keep getting a "Trojan Horse Blocked" warning from Avast when I try to access the aqmthai site? Is it an error with the anti-virus software or does the aqmthai website in fact contain a virus?

I'm getting the same error and looking into it now. A couple of years ago that particular one was a common false trigger but fixed in an update. Perhaps back again.

Raining right now in Mae Rim. Nice.

Rain in the area is the result of changing winds.

Current patterns hint at improvement if this keeps up.

2013-03-30_13_UpperWind600m.jpg

It rained for about 30 min, and now, a few hours later seems like it's back to poor air quality. Seemingly not enough rain to have an impact but better than nothing and hopefully more will come. Crazy humid right now.

Actually the readings are still improving slightly. If the wind direction stays then local burning won't matter. Keep in mind you'll see forest fires all through April, but the smog will have cleared

Local burning does matter. Local burning affects us until July. Regional smog or local burning, it's the same if it's local to your location. Do you work for TAT?

we've had this talk before and I think its best to agree to disagree on making or not making a distinction between region-wide seasonal particulate pollution, and ground level smoke from fires.

Yes, the latter will also occur in July.

And also right here in Jomtien with a PM-10 of like 23, someone somewhere will set a nice fire that impacts a limited area significantly.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This morning the head villager told everyone that the period of 100 days, during which no burning was to be undertaken, would finish in another 10 days. So in another 10 days it will be ok to burn without any interference from the authorities whistling.gif

It is very hazy here in Chiangdao and with strong winds last evening I was hoping for a spot of rain. No such luck. I estimate the visibilty to be approximately 1,000 metres.

This morning the head villager told everyone that the period of 100 days, during which no burning was to be undertaken, would finish in another 10 days. So in another 10 days it will be ok to burn without any interference from the authorities whistling.gif

It is very hazy here in Chiangdao and with strong winds last evening I was hoping for a spot of rain. No such luck. I estimate the visibilty to be approximately 1,000 metres.

10 days is reasonable, looking at past years and when improvement sets in. Many people seem to assume the locals are all monkeys or something. Plus if you make it too long people will feel its impossible to comply, whereas a 10 day period is doable.

this is why measuring and analyzing conditions and gathering data is important; it allows for fact based discussion ad decision making.

10 days is reasonable, looking at past years and when improvement sets in. Many people seem to assume the locals are all monkeys or something. Plus if you make it too long people will feel its impossible to comply, whereas a 10 day period is doable.

this is why measuring and analyzing conditions and gathering data is important; it allows for fact based discussion ad decision making.

Looking at PM10 data is a rather myopic way of looking at the problem. How about the cancer statistics for Northern Thailand or looking at the cultural aspects of the problem? If you put burning to a vote, chances are the popular majority would choose to allow it the same as the past. So there is a social and political aspect as well. About the only use I have for the data is to look at when it starts each year so I can plan my escape. There is no way the data will impact any decision unless it is personal.

• Like 1

Over the past couple of days there has been a nasty Butanethiol-like chemical smell in the air around San Sai.
Could it be that heavy industries are taking advantage of the heavily polluted atmosphere, and releasing their own toxic mix into the CM air?

Is there any official entity responsible for detecting "unsanctioned" pollution in CM?

Over the past couple of days there has been a nasty Butanethiol-like chemical smell in the air around San Sai.

Could it be that heavy industries are taking advantage of the heavily polluted atmosphere, and releasing their own toxic mix into the CM air?

Is there any official entity responsible for detecting "unsanctioned" pollution in CM?

The PM-10 is just the medium. Those are measured particles floating the air.

What pollutants bind to those particles to be transported and absorbed by the human blood stream are largely ignored.

Thankfully we are not downwind of a factory in China

Years from now when the quality of sensing and reporting improve we may look back to our naivete with fondness for not knowing the details.

We tend to limit the discussion to particulate matter pollution as this is the main factor in the seasonal haze.

But that's us. The PCD measures all common air quality indicators. These are the following :

post-64232-0-35400500-1364715303_thumb.j

Indeed an objective comparison between Chiang Mai and other places should look at the bigger picture.

Its just that the pm10 one is what drives my decision to come back to CM or not; the others typically aren't concerns in the North.

Haven't noted much in the way of heavy industry around, but there are industrial air and water polluters. The Pollution Control Department will set up special temporary monitoring devices to measure localized pollution, for example, a site where plastics are burned. Sorry, don't know what time frame is required to set that sort of thing up, but I would imagine you would need firm local political support, such as village headmen and sub-district chiefs.