BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Was wondering since the smoke is natural it can't be that bad can it? I mean chinas vehicle emissions and factory smoke stacks is uncomparable correct?

So 2-3 more weeks of this and its over?

I think so. In China its much more industrial wastes, coal emissions, vehicle emissions, and some Gobi desert sand dust.

The natural smoke has to be better for ones health.

China has like 60 of worst 100 places for air quality. So yeah its better than the worst place(s) on earth.

China is so big though there are also quite a few cities/towns for great air quality that far surpass Chiang Mai's.

Try some of the cities in Yunnan Province like Kumming, Dali etc. The winds come down from the Himalayas etc and very clean.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Here is a TV thread for a year or so ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/346633-trat/

It seems that folks leave CM to come here (Clao Lao / Lam Sadet Beach) for a few months for fresh air. Looks horrible up there up north sucking n all that crap. bah.gif

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Yesterday afternoon near City Hall seemed really bad, but when I check the numbers online it looks like it was only borderline. My assessment was based on very low visibility, headaches, burning eyes. I expected to see numbers around 150+. Published numbers were around 113 unless I'm reading it wrong?

It seems that folks leave CM to come here (Clao Lao / Lam Sadet Beach) for a few months for fresh air. Looks horrible up there up north sucking n all that crap. bah.gif

We normally go to Ko Chang in March but last year and this year we had things going on that kept us in the smoke. It is pretty cruddy up here at the moment.

We normally go to Ko Chang in March but last year and this year we had things going on that kept us in the smoke. It is pretty cruddy up here at the moment.

I'll fill a bottle up with sea air & pm it to you thumbsup.gif

I'll fill a bottle up with sea air & pm it to you thumbsup.gif

Make it a large or better yet, super-size it!

Back to the smog, why does a bit of wind from the south clear the air? If this is regional smog, surely it will just blow our smog to the north, replacing it with smog from the south? Or does the wind raise it higher in the atmosphere, clearing the smog at ground level? Discuss.....

Be specific on which sea air you want.

attachicon.gifLaem Chabang.jpg

Is that where you're holing up? Spoiling the family again laugh.png

No, no, we're in Patters, with some side trips along the Eastern Seaboard. Air was a bit hazy earlier in the month, but it's just fine now. Right at the port of Laem Chabang though they're unloading very dusty stuff from very big ships though. ;)

Back to the smog, why does a bit of wind from the south clear the air? If this is regional smog, surely it will just blow our smog to the north, replacing it with smog from the south? Or does the wind raise it higher in the atmosphere, clearing the smog at ground level? Discuss.....

From what I can observe the cool late night/early morning downslope drainage breezes carry the forest fire smoke down into the valley where it pools and concentrates. As the day warms, thermals (often seen as short-lived whirlwinds) start to develop that carry the particulates up into the higher atmosphere where they are scattered by upper level stream winds that are often going a different direction to the more random surface winds. So the afternoon smoke levels are generally more representative of the wider regional pollution and anything denser is of relatively local origin.

Latest PM10 reading for centre of city is 283 @ 11am.

Need some strong wind.

Yeah, was just going to say that you guys are having a spike. wink.png

post-64232-0-68944800-1363758283_thumb.p

You never know what will be next though.. could be double, or could be half..

• Like 1