Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Tywais

It seems the differences during the day are more pronounced right now.. It's been like this for the past couple days, the following are hourly levels for today:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Although also without the numbers it's clear (heh) to see that mid morning sucks, and then a remarkable clearing up in the afternoon, to much better levels.

I actually plan any outside activities for the afternoon now for that reason.

I think that makes sense WTK. In the evening when the mountains cool, katabatic downslope winds bring the smoke into the valleys where it settles in with the cool night air. Inversions also help trap the smoke at night. As soon as the sun comes up and heats things up, thermals and winds help disperse the particulates to higher altitudes. Early evening is when we can smell the fresh burns up the mountain from us so I am sure the particulates head our way all night long.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, how's about we all get involved actively in this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631527-hunt-the-smog-project-thai-govt-offering-cash-for-photos-of-forest-fires/

Good for the community, good for TV, good for us, all we need is a couple of camera's, some bodies and some transport, I coincidently offer up all three but we need a few more, or do we just want to be a repetitive whinging shop on this point each year?

All proceeds to charity as named by George.

• Like 1

It seems the differences during the day are more pronounced right now.. It's been like this for the past couple days, the following are hourly levels for today:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Although also without the numbers it's clear (heh) to see that mid morning sucks, and then a remarkable clearing up in the afternoon, to much better levels.

I think that makes sense WTK. In the evening when the mountains cool, katabatic downslope winds bring the smoke into the valleys where it settles in with the cool night air. Inversions also help trap the smoke at night. As soon as the sun comes up and heats things up, thermals and winds help disperse the particulates to higher altitudes.
Same pattern again today.. Was happy to see it clear up again in the afternoon so I could get some Songkran practice in with the kids. Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For whatever it might be worth, by way of food for fantasy or inspiration to follow the footsteps that brought me from Chiangmai to here yesterday or whatever else, the air in Bali today is clean and refreshing, even vivifying!

RAIN predicted for Friday, Sunday, and Monday.

The end of the smoky season is hopefully upon us now.

Good news nixster. This is the first morning in over a month, at least when we have been here, that we can open the windows in the morning. Usually we keep the house sealed up until lunch time. We did see several burns last night, but there must not have been any large ones.

RAIN predicted for Friday, Sunday, and Monday.

The end of the smoky season is hopefully upon us now.

Was about to say so... then I read your post:lol:

Forecast says 30% chance of rain from Friday through Sunday. Hopefully this will clear up some of the smog. It's gotten so bad where I'm at that I have to wear sunnies when I go out in the morning to go to work... just like when I was still working in the desert.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess I am lucky that I am not sensitive to it.

(Irritation wise ) Who knows long term but not something I fret over.

Looking at WTK's chart of daily levels

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/611721-smoke-smog-dust-2013-chiang-mai/page-17#entry6280051

I couldn't help but notice I exercise outdoors

everyday between 9:15 & 10:45. Which according to that chart is about the worse

part of the day.

Through this whole season there were only a few days that I skipped

when it was obviously crazy high 250-300+. For me over 250 seems to be the

stay home area

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Winnie the Khwai,

It is interesting to think about those numbers:

1. they could be inaccurate

2. to see if there is, indeed, a timeline-trend, would require some statistical analysis over time, although, if we had a week of those kind of numbers per hour, that's certainly a valuable heuristic for deciding when to go out.

3. what factors could be the source of an early am surge ? could it be a shift in the direction of prevailing night-time winds that brings into our area pollution from elsewhere, or the effect of atmospheric cooling, coupled with the "bowl" geography of our Ping River etched valley, that somehow brings down to ground-level particulate matter suspended in warmer air that has risen in the day ... or ... well, i am certainly no meteorologist !

Perhaps some of our more weather/atmosphere knowledgeable members here can comment: that would be appreciated.

thanks, ~o:37;

Concerning your # 3, may I add that the rising results might be caused by the increasing morning traffic, a well known polluter. Look at Bangkok.

Edited by puck2

Time to stage one hell of a Songkran to bring on the rain.

I was just asking my wife & she only remembers once

But for those who have lived here for many years,

Do you ever recall a Songkran being dampened by heavy

rains?

mania, on 10 Apr 2013 - 06:46, said:

WinnieTheKhwai, on 10 Apr 2013 - 03:20, said:

rains?

YES! In 2011. Nasty weird gray overcast cold crap, it was horrible.

But it's a lot more common to have an early evening rain shower after a full day of Songkranning. Usually greeted with cheers.

Though I also meant it at a more abstract level, as Songkran is clearly a rite for cleansing, blessing, renewal and fertility. (With some Buddhist veneer, much like Easter). This very much includes bringing on the rain for the new growing season.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

mania, on 10 Apr 2013 - 06:46, said:

WinnieTheKhwai, on 10 Apr 2013 - 03:20, said:

rains?

YES! In 2011. Nasty weird gray overcast cold crap, it was horrible.

But it's a lot more common to have an early evening rain shower after a full day of Songkranning. Usually greeted with cheers.

Though I also meant it at a more abstract level, as Songkran is clearly a rite for cleansing, blessing, renewal and fertility. (With some Buddhist veneer, much like Easter). This very much includes bringing on the rain for the new growing season.

Was freezing! Remember people insisting on going out anyway, looking as cold as can be in the back of pick up trucks. But 2011 had a lot of rain prior to that and never really got hot. Then the big mamuang flooded.

A lot of heavy smoke today bellowing from the mountain slopes facing the canal road, from around the 700 Years stadium to Huai Tung Tao lake and beyond. A gentle breeze has been pushing the thick heavy smog north towards Mae Rim. The infernal dark smoke rolling down from the hills looks more like an apocalypse-like scene rather than the product of a forest fire.

Get your masks ready for hopefully the last of the big burns...

Woke up this morning to surprisingly fresh air. I even went for a hard mountain bike ride and didn't don the mask. Still lots of burning going on in the forest but the winds are carrying it away from what I can see.

We have workers cutting our mimosa and grass at the moment and they stacked up the limbs to burn. My wife told them to not burn but to throw them in our composting pit. They said "Mai Pen Rai, much easier to burn." We are standing firm but it is indeed a struggle to get people to stop burning. I do not see burning ever ending it Thailand as the habits are so entrenched.

Clearing up today!!! Should make for an excellent Songkran day. I also notice the higher humidity, which is good.

And there it was, a nice tropical rain shower in the city today around 17:00 just as I was going for a round of splashing... blessings from above :D

Rains set in, nobody talks about it anymore.

Until next year guys!

tongue.png

It's not over yet. Plenty of burning still going on up in the forests around Mae Taeng. Winds are carrying the smoke away but if they stop, look for the visibility to start dropping again. We had no rain up here and the forest is tinder dry. Today was the first day for two months where we have had visibilities over ten miles. Sure is nice to see the mountains and be able to gulp clean air!

Rains set in, nobody talks about it anymore.

Until next year guys!

It's not over yet. Plenty of burning still going on up in the forests around Mae Taeng. Winds are carrying the smoke away but if they stop, look for the visibility to start dropping again. We had no rain up here and the forest is tinder dry. Today was the first day for two months where we have had visibilities over ten miles. Sure is nice to see the mountains and be able to gulp clean air!

Yeah, I'm at Rawee Waree today and passed by Mae Taman early this morning. There were places along the road that looked like they came out of a post apocalyptic scorched Earth sci-fi movie. Still air seems better but it's been very hot even with the water splashing around.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app