BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Saw news today, haze has reached Songkla and other southern parts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was I just lucky?

I was in Chiang Mai for a few days at the beginning of March this year (2013) and I saw no issues with smoke at all. The city via from Doi Suthep was a bit hazy, but we didn't see or smell any problems.

This was my first time in Thailand and was planning to settle down in Chiang Mai, but now I not too sure. Is CM really worth it for putting up with a couple months of smoke?

Was I just lucky?

I was in Chiang Mai for a few days at the beginning of March this year (2013) and I saw no issues with smoke at all. The city via from Doi Suthep was a bit hazy, but we didn't see or smell any problems.

This was my first time in Thailand and was planning to settle down in Chiang Mai, but now I not too sure. Is CM really worth it for putting up with a couple months of smoke?

Yes you were lucky. There are usually one or two freak rain storms during the smoky season that clear things up for several days.

Many people who can, do leave the region Feb-Apr but the large expat population here would seem to indicate that on balance it is 'worth it'.

Even with the heavy rains we had yesterday we saw three huge burn piles smoldering away when we came home today. Guess it is never too early to start.

Regarding the smoke season; If you have a decent place to stay, is closing the doors and windows enough or do you use extra air filters? I'm fine with mostly hanging out in the house for a couple months. It's what I'm doing now in the U.S. at twice the cost and 1/2 the beauty. smile.png

I used to work for an Environmental Quality Department and when I told the Air quality folks what the PM 10 was during the season, they were stunned. More stunned that i'll probably be moving to Chiang Rai in April.

Just curious how you guys handle things when it's bad.

I have been searching though the forums but any input would be appreciated.

Edited by itsadryheat

Regarding the smoke season; If you have a decent place to stay, is closing the doors and windows enough or do you use extra air filters? I'm fine with mostly hanging out in the house for a couple months. It's what I'm doing now in the U.S. at twice the cost and 1/2 the beauty. smile.png

I used to work for an Environmental Quality Department and when I told the Air quality folks what the PM 10 was during the season, they were stunned. More stunned that i'll probably be moving to Chiang Rai in April.

Just curious how you guys handle things when it's bad.

I have been searching though the forums but any input would be appreciated.

* Yes, staying indoors with filters and taking it easy is better than going outside and running a marathon, but nowhere near as good as just moving South somewhere for the duration. You only need to leave for about 4-6 weeks (just that you don't know exactly when those 4 weeks will be in advance)

* I don't get the Chiang Rai reference; Chiang Rai is *much* worse than Chiang Mai (and so is Mae Hong Son), being more North than Chiang Mai is. You should be thinking South (And East / Eastern Seaboard), not North.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

For the record:

2014 burning season begun today, Monday 7th October 2013. xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well as the replies. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

For the record:

2014 burning season begun today, Monday 7th October 2013. xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Because people don't have the same understanding on what burning season means.

If your definition of burning season is 'whenever my neighbor burns some trash, leaves or his field' then yes, completely agree, it started yesterday, at your place.

But, if your definition of burning season is 'the region-wide seasonal haze / particulate pollution that affects Northern Thailand, Burma, parts of Laos and Southern China', then no. That did not start because some people in your area burned some trash in October. :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

(Hint; if it was the seasonal burn/haze season in late Feb/March, you would not get pictures like this one.)

post-64232-0-76502200-1381291600_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For the record:

Because people don't have the same understanding on what burning season means.

If your definition of burning season is 'whenever my neighbor burns some trash, leaves or his field' then yes, completely agree, it started yesterday, at your place.

But, if your definition of burning season is 'the region-wide seasonal haze / particulate pollution that affects Northern Thailand, Burma, parts of Laos and Southern China', then no. That did not start because some people in your area burned some trash in October. rolleyes.gif

Poor word choice on my part - instead should have written "2014 smog season begun today..."

My definition of a smog day/season is this: the mountains 7km west begin to disappear in the haze.

Now, whether that smog originates in CM or elsewhere, the net effect (such as orange/brown sunsets) is practically the same.

(Hint; if it was the seasonal burn/haze season in late Feb/March, you would not get pictures like this one.)

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Hint: that photo was not taken on the date in question, Monday 7th October 2013.

Well it's definitely hazier for whatever reason now in both Pai and Doi Saket. I had to spend the night in the city Friday and from the third floor balcony of the Lux inside the moat the smell of diesel fumes was horrific.

From the Doi Suthep temple at around 1 pm the city was very obviously under a haze, so pollution is back.