Iranian Suspects Deny Thai Blast Plot: Lawyer

webfact

Iranian suspects deny Thai blast plot: lawyer

BANGKOK, Jan 15, 2013 (AFP) - Two Iranians on trial for an alleged botched bomb plot against Israeli diplomats in Bangkok appeared in court again Tuesday as their Thai lawyer protested their innocence.

Mohammad Khazaei, 42, and Saeid Moradi, 29, are among five Iranians suspected of involvement in the February 2012 blasts, that followed attacks in India and Georgia and saw Tehran accused of a terror campaign.

The pair have already pleaded not guilty at a court in Bangkok to charges including attempted murder and possessing explosives, their lawyer Kittipong Kiattanapoom told AFP.

"They were not involved with the bombs nor did they aim to kill any innocent people, including police officials," he said outside the court.

Kittipong also said the men had not rented the suburban Bangkok house, where an apparently unintended explosion disclosed the supposed plot.

He said Moradi, who lost both his legs in a subsequent blast, had been surprised to discover bombs in a cupboard of the property.

The injured suspect had been trying safely to dispose of one device when it fell to the ground and detonated on the street, Kittipong added.

Israel blamed the February 14 Thai blasts, and bomb attacks a day earlier targeting Israeli embassy staff in India and Georgia, on Iran.

Tehran denies the allegations.

In June a Malaysian court ordered the extradition to Thailand of another Iranian suspect Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, who was 31 at the time.

Sedaghatzadeh was arrested at Kuala Lumpur's international airport a day after the Bangkok blasts. Two other suspects are believed to have returned to Iran.

The court hearing resumes Wednesday.

afp]2013-01-15[/afp]

I swear to Mohammad that I found the bomb in a cupboard we had be renting for months (i never opened it because I was just lucky) ! #fingers crossed# and when I went outside to dispose of the bomb (i know it's a bomb because I watch holly wood movies) Walking to get a taxi to take it to Sukhumvit soi 19 (I think soi cowboy is just nearby and there's a lot of garbage there. Right ) . I tripped on a grenade outside which got twisted in my shoelaces and then When I was pulling it out of my shoes I pulled the pin and it bounced out of my hand and hit a taxi then blew up my legs. Believe it~ !! It was just a bad day. I promise! cheesy.gifclap2.gifbah.gifblink.pngcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

They know Thailand would rather than not get involved in the Iran vs. the west conflict and keep as neutral as they can. It would be politically convenient to let them go.

It is more a "the west against Iran" conflict.

They will have a fair process in Thailand instead of being shipped to a prison camp on a island with a military base or some other secret location with torture instead of a fair legal trail.

and they can say what ever they want to their defense.

They know Thailand would rather than not get involved in the Iran vs. the west conflict and keep as neutral as they can. It would be politically convenient to let them go.

It is more a "the west against Iran" conflict.

They will have a fair process in Thailand instead of being shipped to a prison camp on a island with a military base or some other secret location with torture instead of a fair legal trail.

and they can say what ever they want to their defense.

Was the Iranian embassy the target of the bombs in Bangkok? I think not.
  • Like 1

Are they on trail for planning an attack on the Israel embassy or are they just on trail for possession explosives and throwing a grenade down the road?

Is that alleged terrorist plot part of the charge?

The charges include attempted murder, so what do you think? coffee1.gif Obviously, defense attorneys anywhere in the world can try on any kind of cockamamie defense that they think has a chance. This excuse sounds very lame meaning they almost definitely don't have anything better. Even though Thailand would be better off without any involvement in this external conflict, they have no choice now. I predict convictions. Easily.

Are they on trail for planning an attack on the Israel embassy or are they just on trail for possession explosives and throwing a grenade down the road?

Is that alleged terrorist plot part of the charge?

The charges include attempted murder, so what do you think? coffee1.gif Obviously, defense attorneys anywhere in the world can try on any kind of cockamamie defense that they think has a chance. This excuse sounds very lame meaning they almost definitely don't have anything better. Even though Thailand would be better off without any involvement in this external conflict, they have no choice now. I predict convictions. Easily.

okay also "attempted murder".

but the question is if something like "terrorist conspiracy" is part of the charges. and if there is really evidence a for a terror act against Israel and will be see that evidence in the court? Or is that just allegation and speculation in the media, but not enough for a trail?

I don't read about any terrorism charges. Do you?

Just going by what I read in the article. Does anyone have more detailed info about the charges? They sound quite serious enough to put them away for many years.

Edited by Jingthing

The prosecutor's job is to secure a conviction. If it is easier to obtain a conviction on lesser charges, then that is the strategy that will be pursued. It will be a lot easier to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the Iranians were intending to kill people if the activities with the bomb are prosecuted as basic criminal violence.. As well, the throwing of the grenade at a policeman and a Thai civilian has been established, so it is just a matter of stating the facts in court. There will be no need to undertake additional charges on "terrorism", The penalties for making and detonating bombs, and for throwing grenades at people are just as harsh as they are for terrorism. Why waste time on additional charges that bring with it the problems of Iranian foreign policy when it is a slam dunk to get a conviction for the Iranian attempts to cause death and mayhem?

This is one time where Iranian laws would come in handy as the accused would have been swinging from a crane in a public square in Tehran by now. However, Thailand will give the accused due process, which is something that would not be given in Iran.

• Like 1

The Iranians seem to have hired a stand-up commedian rather than a defence lawyer!

I expect they will be found guilty and Iran will buy a large quantity of Thai rice and then they will be flown back to Iran.

At least one of them won't be needing a seat with extra leg room.

• Like 1

The Iranians seem to have hired a stand-up commedian rather than a defence lawyer!

I expect they will be found guilty and Iran will buy a large quantity of Thai rice and then they will be flown back to Iran.

At least one of them won't be needing a seat with extra leg room.

Somehow I think Iran will manage to carry on without these two guys.

The prosecutor's job is to secure a conviction. If it is easier to obtain a conviction on lesser charges, then that is the strategy that will be pursued. It will be a lot easier to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the Iranians were intending to kill people if the activities with the bomb are prosecuted as basic criminal violence.. As well, the throwing of the grenade at a policeman and a Thai civilian has been established, so it is just a matter of stating the facts in court. There will be no need to undertake additional charges on "terrorism", The penalties for making and detonating bombs, and for throwing grenades at people are just as harsh as they are for terrorism. Why waste time on additional charges that bring with it the problems of Iranian foreign policy when it is a slam dunk to get a conviction for the Iranian attempts to cause death and mayhem?

This is one time where Iranian laws would come in handy as the accused would have been swinging from a crane in a public square in Tehran by now. However, Thailand will give the accused due process, which is something that would not be given in Iran.

So there is no evidence for a terror plot against Israel.

Thank you for the answer.

That isn't what he said. What he said it is that there is no good reason for Thailand to attempt to pursue those charges to achieve the goal of putting these guys into a long prison sentence. That said, if there are people who prefer to think they were in Thailand for the temples and golf, can't the see the harm in that. Edited by Jingthing

My goodness, they were caught red handed, well what was left of their hands anyway after the evidence blew up and made some limb-less Iranians.

Yeah if the prosecution can't prove this case, I'd say major loss of legs face. Edited by Jingthing

That isn't what he said. What he said it is that there is no good reason for Thailand to attempt to pursue those charges to achieve the goal of putting these guys into a long prison sentence. That said, if there are people who prefer to think they were in Thailand for the temples and golf, can't the see the harm in that.

He said they will be only tried for criminal violence. there are no charges of terrorism.

Thats all and he added some off topic rants about the justice system in Iran. Nothing about temples and golf.