Flowers!

samuijimmy

Mothers day present, not Thailand but maybe a Thai orchid?

P.S. Why even though I resized to 800 vertical do my pics show up as thumbnails?

attachicon.gifDSC_1705--.jpg

It's just the way you uploaded it.... when we click the image it opens up..... not a problem! (some of us use Picasa or flickr, which is why they don't have thumbnails! )wink.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Leaf ants Jimmy! They have a very bad attitude & attack en-masse when even slightly disturbed.

They don't have a venom as such but when they bite the same stuff they use to glue the leaves

together gets into your skin and causes that burn. Apparently it is highly alkaline...which is like

saying it's highly acidic although alkalines are the opposite of acids...but still cause a lotta pain

and damage nonetheless...basic chemistry 101...same-same but different! I have found the

best way to eliminate the pests is to use Baygon cockroack killer....comes in a green spray

can....ahhh....chemical warfare at its finest! Kills the nasty little critters quick too...in seconds.

Mind you test the spray on the flowering plants leaves first so's you don't also accidentally kill

the flowers while killing the ants. If you try to cut the nest away with a saw or hedge clippers

instead of using the spray they'll just run up your arm and ruin your day...when they bite they

hold on. Your favourite mossie spray may work good too but for a fact the roach spray works

best. Ya gotta get rid of em Jimmy...if you don't they'll continue to build nests and soon you'll

have more nests than flowers & trees. Apparently they're very attracted to the various types of

leaves which look like the ones on the flowers. Which also look like the ones on mango trees

and other trees & bushes....you'll also find their nests in these too! That said they also like

bird of paradise plants....latex trees...fake rubber trees...hmmmmmmm.

^^^ Leaf ants Jimmy! They have a very bad attitude & attack en-masse when even slightly disturbed.

They don't have a venom as such but when they bite the same stuff they use to glue the leaves

together gets into your skin and causes that burn. Apparently it is highly alkaline...which is like

saying it's highly acidic although alkalines are the opposite of acids...but still cause a lotta pain

and damage nonetheless...basic chemistry 101...same-same but different! I have found the

best way to eliminate the pests is to use Baygon cockroack killer....comes in a green spray

can....ahhh....chemical warfare at its finest! Kills the nasty little critters quick too...in seconds.

Mind you test the spray on the flowering plants leaves first so's you don't also accidentally kill

the flowers while killing the ants. If you try to cut the nest away with a saw or hedge clippers

instead of using the spray they'll just run up your arm and ruin your day...when they bite they

hold on. Your favourite mossie spray may work good too but for a fact the roach spray works

best. Ya gotta get rid of em Jimmy...if you don't they'll continue to build nests and soon you'll

have more nests than flowers & trees. Apparently they're very attracted to the various types of

leaves which look like the ones on the flowers. Which also look like the ones on mango trees

and other trees & bushes....you'll also find their nests in these too! That said they also like

bird of paradise plants....latex trees...fake rubber trees...hmmmmmmm.

Oh I have a better way to get rid of the blighters.... Borax mixed with Sugar and water, kills the whole colony by taking back to the nest,.... thumbsup.gif ....not just the ones the sprays kill, I don't see them returning for months!

Those were not in my garden! wink.png

I am not sure if this was caused by ants or no see ems AKA sand flies.... this was my usually sexy leg last year.... itched like crazy for weeks...bah.gif

SAM_0015.JPG

Here is a cosmos flower to help off set looking at my leg! tongue.png

IMG_4508.CR2.jpg

Archived