Unstoppable Force Against Immovable Object....

chonabot

Here's a gripe :(

I work at a Government school in Isaan, a large one with over 5000 students and 300 teachers.

You know the kind of place you read about on here, 60 per class, fans in the room if you're lucky !

Well I've enjoyed the place to be honest, love teaching here, but in the last 4 or 5 weeks I have hit a brick wall.

About 5 weeks ago I decided I would run a talent competition for my students.

I teach about 1000 in a week and thought I might use music/lyrics as a medium.

In the UK I played in a band and also taught the guitar/bass and drums as a sideline to my day job.

My plan was simple: Ask each class to form bands, with 4-7 people in each one.

Choose your members, name your band and pick one English language song to cover.

I would hold a room competition, during free periods ( no interference with lessons/tests et al).

Each room would yield a winner, I would also host a facebook page with the winning bands performance.

There would be about 18 bands in the 2nd stage - I would then eliminate all but 6 of them by a voting system on the FB page.

Ultimately there would be a live show - Each band would perform 1 song in front of the school, at lunchtime.

I would donate one of my guitars and an amp to the winning band - worth about 10,000 baht.

Before I mentioned this to my students I asked the head of my department if he could authorise the live show.

He seemed keen and after a few days I had the go ahead :)

Well 4 weeks later I have the final 6 groups - some of them are really good!

Now he has U-turned and refuses to even admit that he ever said I could hold the live shows.

He is too busy and blames everyone except himself.

The students are now anxious to jump the final hurdle - and I can't keep my side of the bargain.

Has anyone out there met with a similar dilemma? - if so - how did you solve it ?

I'm determined not to let them down - plus I am returning to the UK after this contract so I am not too worried about my next year.

• Like 2

Cancel the show and blame the teacher. Let him deal with the fallout.

Or

Have the show somewhere in the city supported by the parents.

Either way, he has to deal with the fallout.

The OP is looking for a way to allow his students to demonstrate their talents not shift the blame onto someone else...

• Like 1

If you hold the concert at a rented property outside of the school. Make sure you also pay for some food (shouldn't cost more than 2KTHB up your way) to be prepared for the evening...and make it well know there is a free feed available on the evening.

Set the buffett up off to the side of the room. But don't bring the food out until after the final act.

good luck

• Like 1

It sounds just like my high school here in Ubon.

Every 2nd or 3rd day around 12:00 to 2:00 pm somebody or a loud band

is playing in the auditorium. Unfortunately having 50 kids in a class

and trying to get their attention becomes more burdensome with

the music coming from the bands and auditorium.

Why not just go to administration and book the location that you want?

It sounds just like my high school here in Ubon.

Every 2nd or 3rd day around 12:00 to 2:00 pm somebody or a loud band

is playing in the auditorium. Unfortunately having 50 kids in a class

and trying to get their attention becomes more burdensome with

the music coming from the bands and auditorium.

Why not just go to administration and book the location that you want?

I'm probably going to go ahead and just hold the gig in the corner of the sports field - it's all acoustic so no power needed.

A bloody shame really because it's an excellent showcase for the school, a damn site more interesting than the skit competitions they are obsessed with.

"What about holding the contest at a local park on a weekend or after school some day?"

Yeahh and make a big deal out of it and invite some well known people ..

Butt....don't invite the Dept. Head...............bugger 'im !

Edited by Traxster
  • Like 1

I know that this is a very complicated situation, being very familiar with schools and their attitudes.

You obviously got the kids behind you, can't you just get in touch with some of their parents? If they like it, they'll back you up.

Good luck, seems that you're really a decent guy.

• Like 1

I know that this is a very complicated situation, being very familiar with schools and their attitudes.

You obviously got the kids behind you, can't you just get in touch with some of their parents? If they like it, they'll back you up.

Good luck, seems that you're really a decent guy.

I'm still toying with the idea of holding it outside the school.

My wife knows a few of the bands' parents so I may take that route.

She is as pissed off as I am with the School's stance on this.

I will let you know how it goes.

• Like 2