Receptionist Drugged, Hotel Robbed By Foreigner In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who puts there Mobile/Cell phone in the hotels safety deposit boxes ??? would they not be using them blink.png

Obviously not.... I wouldn't be using my UK SIM here and can actually survive without having my phone in my pocket for a few hours.

Nor would I take it on a trip that involved swimming, diving or going out on a boat. It might get stolen. blink.png

Similar to the Samui break-in in that a master key must have been held at reception - not good security.

Hotel safe boxes should have a 2-key system where one key is with the guest & the other at reception. The master key for the guest's keys should be held in another safe place, preferably with the manager.

I wonder if the perp knew where the master key was?

Similar to the Samui break-in in that a master key must have been held at reception - not good security.

Hotel safe boxes should have a 2-key system where one key is with the guest & the other at reception. The master key for the guest's keys should be held in another safe place, preferably with the manager.

I wonder if the perp knew where the master key was?

In the Samui case the "safety" boxes just had small padlocks, I went there and took a look.

Looks like the same here.

safety.jpg

Photo: http://www.karonplace.com/

I also have no idea whether this would be covered by insurance

Why not, it would be a poor insurance policy that did not offer some remuneration for valuables left in the hotel safety deposit. Rather than under your socks in a drawer.
  • Like 1

I don't believe the story. Never been to an hotel yet where you've needed to drug the receptionists. They seem to be able to fall asleep on their own!!laugh.png

I've never been to a hotel where the receptionist would accept a cup of coffee from a guest.

The whole story sounds wrong to me.

Maybe he/she thought it was that expensive Elephant dung brew. Now who could resist that! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Every month or so I go to a city in my province for a change of wallpaper and always use the same hotel. Late night / early morning if I am going to 7- (ok honey ?), for coffee etc I always the receptionists if they would like something and it's always gratefully received but with stories like this it makes you wonder if it's a good idea

oh well ... this happen everywhere in the world ..... but 3 millions bath in belonging 21 safe that makes 142,857 baht per safe .... pretty much a lot for such a small hotel .....with only one receptionist and no one around ..... strange to me .

I hadn't done the maths. It does seem a lot.

Of course it will be, and 'boy' are they going to take a pounding !

The logical explanation is that they were purchasing cheap pre-pay cell phones here and keeping their expensive phones from their perspective countries in the hotel safe deposit boxes.

Cell phones in North America typically do not allow interchangeable sim cards, they are dedicated to a specific provider.

Well , i hate when providers sim-lock their phones,they usually did that here in DK some years ago,now all phones bought here is sim-free and you can put in all providers simcards,very usefull when in Thailand,and i always keep the phone on me,not in a stupid locker.

They are locked in when you buy a phone on a monthly plan in Australia, but when its paid you can get it unlocked to use any service provider.

...rule #1....do not ever believe anything a Thai person says...especially when a crime is involved.... (...you take it from there....)

Having spent fourteen years here I am unable to find veracity in what you say. Perhaps Thai people do not respect you.wai.gif
  • Like 1

Farangs drugging Thais? That's a twist.

First post and right off the bat someone has to try and turn it around to dump on the Thais. Glad that I have not had anything to eat yet today buddy. sick.gif

I think I've seen more media reports of Farangs being drugged by Thais than the other way around.

Anyway, it was just a joke to raise a smile, nothing more. smile.png

• Like 1

Phuket Police suspect Arabs in B3mn locker heist

Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_COFFEE_FOR_KEYS_The_front_desk_officer_believes_the_coffee_he_was_giv_19986_CuEnaAbjGR_jpeg.jpg

The front desk officer believes the coffee he was given was drugged, allowing men to steal about 3 million baht. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Police are on the lookout for three men, all thought to be from the Middle East, who are suspected of doping a front desk officer at a resort near Karon Beach and robbing the resort’s guest safe boxes of about 3 million baht in valuables.

The front desk officer at Karon Place Hotel who was allegedly drugged by the gang told the Phuket Gazette that the three foreigners had visited him sometime after midnight on the two nights preceding the robbery.

“Very late on Friday and Saturday night, the foreigners came and chatted, like they were trying to make friends with me. Each night they brought me a couple of beers and some somtam [spicy Thai salad].

“But on the night of the robbery, they brought me hot coffee – that’s the last thing I remember,” he said.

The front desk officer described the men as about 180cm tall, with fair skin. Elaborating, he said they looked like they were from an “Arab country”.

The robbery has attracted the attention of the Phuket Provincial Police, with deputy commanders Col Arun Kleawwatee and Col Witoon Kongsudjai leading the investigation meeting at Karon Police Station yesterday.

“About 21 tourists had their belongings stolen from the locker-style ‘safe boxes’. Most of the items stolen were passports, cash and mobile phones,” Col Arun said.

The robbers also made off with some of the hotel’s CCTV equipment and recordings.

“Karon Police officers have questioned the hotel guests who had their belongings stolen, but some of the them are Russians who do not speak English, so we have yet to compile a complete list of all the items stolen,” Col Arun said.

“Police are searching for the suspects to bring them to justice,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...eist-19986.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-17

oh well ... this happen everywhere in the world ..... but 3 millions bath in belonging 21 safe that makes 142,857 baht per safe .... pretty much a lot for such a small hotel .....with only one receptionist and no one around ..... strange to me .

I hadn't done the maths. It does seem a lot.

Of course it will be, and 'boy' are they going to take a pounding !

I meant the hotel's insurance policy, which may or may not cover customers' personal effects, though if it does there will certainly be sub-limits.

Travel insurance for the individuals will cover this but with sub-limits for cash and valuables it may not provide full coverage.

Just seen the Gazette's report which is pretty poor though does add a bit more to the story and also shows how flimsy the wooden security boxes are.

• Like 1

Most modern CCTV systems are now computer based with images stored on Hard Drive. To take away the 'recording' from the CCTV - he would need to dis-assemble the computer case and remove the Hard Drive. Surely this would be in the back office somewhere?

It may be possible they had a pre-historic CCTV system that runs on VHS tapes - in which case he can remove the tape in 2 seconds !

Also usually safety boxes have a twin key system or if one key - only the user has the key and if they lose the key they change the lock. However we don't know what they use there and of course it is possible that they were forced, in which case they can't have been very strong 'safety boxes'.

Room safes are usually cheap and nasty things and I have been to hotels where the room safe is not even secured to anything solid - just sat inside the wardrobe/closet.

Any form of security is only as good as the weakest link. No point having CCTV if the recording hardware is not in a secure room somewhere!

no doubt more info will be forthcoming and it will be interesting.

I was thinking along the same lines as your post.

Firstly, it's my understanding that a lot of the safety deposit boxes have a two key lock, or two locks. The receptionist has one key and the guest has the other key. The owner/manager has a set of both keys, so, the receptionist can not gain access. That said, how did this guy, if the story is true, gain access when the boss and guest hold the second key? Maybe this hotel has different safety deposit boxes, but by the picture in the PG, you can see the safety boxes has two keys to each box. He may have forced them open, but that would have to make a lot noise and take more time..

Second, as you say, most CCTV these days records to a HDD (hard disk drive) You have mentioned the HDD will be inside a computer case, IIt's usually inside a DVR (digital video recorder) These are about the same size as a DVD palyer. He would have to locate it, unplug all of the camera cables to it and walk outside with it. If this story is true, maybe there is some CCTV footage from a public area of a guy in the area with a big black box under his arm. smile.png

Also, I hope police drug test the receptionist. Urine, blood and hair samples.

Regardless of the crime being an inside job, or random,, to the guests, they don't care who took their property because either way, someone has taken it and ruined their holiday.

More happy tourists to Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

...rule #1....do not ever believe anything a Thai person says...especially when a crime is involved.... (...you take it from there....)

Rule #2 - Don't believe any farang on Phuket, either. :) :)

If this story is true, if the receptionist followed Rule #2 - this crime never would of happened. :) :)

The logical explanation is that they were purchasing cheap pre-pay cell phones here and keeping their expensive phones from their perspective countries in the hotel safe deposit boxes.

Cell phones in North America typically do not allow interchangeable sim cards, they are dedicated to a specific provider.

Well , i hate when providers sim-lock their phones,they usually did that here in DK some years ago,now all phones bought here is sim-free and you can put in all providers simcards,very usefull when in Thailand,and i always keep the phone on me,not in a stupid locker.

They are locked in when you buy a phone on a monthly plan in Australia, but when its paid you can get it unlocked to use any service provider.

You can unlock it any time you like, no need to wait until its paid for.

Can you tell someone is an Arab by just looking? The Middle East has many ethnic groups including Turks, Turkomans, Persians, Kurds, Azeris, Copts, Jews, Maronites, Assyro-Chaldeans, Circassians, Armenians, Druze and Arabs. The Iranians I know will certainly correct you if you refer to them as Arab. And what about people of Middle Eastern enthnicity born and bred in Europe and New World countries? My point being that news articles such as this commonly stereotype and racially profile people without any basis of fact. How about a headline that just says "Phuket Police suspect three men in B3mn locker heist".

• Like 1

Can you tell someone is an Arab by just looking? The Middle East has many ethnic groups including Turks, Turkomans, Persians, Kurds, Azeris, Copts, Jews, Maronites, Assyro-Chaldeans, Circassians, Armenians, Druze and Arabs. The Iranians I know will certainly correct you if you refer to them as Arab. And what about people of Middle Eastern enthnicity born and bred in Europe and New World countries? My point being that news articles such as this commonly stereotype and racially profile people without any basis of fact. How about a headline that just says "Phuket Police suspect three men in B3mn locker heist".

Actually there are several thousand more atrocious headlines written weekly.
  • Like 1