Creepy Crawlies

Tywais

Chon...I have no idea about the moth but the second picture is of paper or mud wasps & they're common

in and around meat, fish & fruit markets because they like meat,fish & fruit. Don't bat em away-you'll get a

nasty sting. They usually won't bother you as they're interested in the meat & fish & fruit if it's around too.

The big spider I have no idea the name but we call em garden spiders because we have em all over

the place...harmless to us humans and they have been known to eat small birds caught in their web.

These spiders get really large. The snake is a wolf snake as Goshawk stated...harmless & good to have

around the house...rodentia control.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hate these things. sick.gif Still playing with my new 40-150mm f/2.8 lens so got the DOF wrong.

After I tried to take some macro photos, I learned that Goompa had a special talent. For me it feels almost impossible task to get a fully sharp macro photo.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Cracktheskye...

Top pic...Common centipede-venomous...leave em alone.

Second pic...Striped Kukri snake...non venomous...can be agressive though...no need to kill em.

Third pic...Millipede...non venomous but some excrete a cyanide solution if handled so if you handle one, wash your hands afterwards.

Bottom pic...One of the millions of dragon flies of LOS...harmless.

• 3 weeks later...

Another colorful ladybird.

attachicon.gifladybird.JPG

Years ago, i bought a bag of one or two thousand ladybugs from a local nursery which is where such things can be bought in the US. The lady vendor took the bag out of the freezer compartment of a refrigerator and sprayed the bag a couple of times with water. She advised me that they would not remain where I released them (unlike Preying Mantis) but I didn't care. It was fun to release them on a Pineapple Guava tree next to my front door and watch them for a couple of minutes as they all eventually took off. I think very few of the lady bugs didn't survive the deep freeze.

I missed out of the hatching of the Preying Mantis cocoon I bought but my ex was lucky to see it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived