Is Tramadol Still Available Over The Counter?

rucus7

I had a high speed bicycle accident 3 days ago involving a song-low going the wrong way on the road shoulder. Head on and I ended up lying in the cargo area of the song-low. The upshot is I have a lot of very painful soft tissue bruising in my neck,shoulder, hip and knee. I have read Tramadol is a helpful pain killer. I have never tried it. The norelgesic I have been taking is of little help. I was told by a pharmacist today Tramadol is no longer available OTC. Have any other members any info on this?

The upside is that the police were very helpful getting things straightened out. The motorcycle was held by the police until the financial end was resolved. The moto driver paid to have my bike repaired. And all parties concerned said I should go get checked out by a doctor. The reason I didn't was I would have been out of pocket for any treatment, even though I was told I would be reimbursed. I felt that was wishful thinking. Also I am sure I have no broken bones.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all parties concerned said I should go get checked out by a doctor. The reason I didn't was I would have been out of pocket for any treatment, even though I was told I would be reimbursed. I felt that was wishful thinking.

All parties concerned were right. Just getting a check up for your injuries is hardly likely to be more than a few hundred baht - unless there is something wrong with you - plus you can get a prescription for your pain.

Tramadol is still available at various pharmacies and very effective,but it`s also VERY addictive.I`ve used it in some periods when I have Sciatic pains,but I`ll only use it as a last resort when the pains are unbearable.

Good luck thumbsup.gif .

And all parties concerned said I should go get checked out by a doctor. The reason I didn't was I would have been out of pocket for any treatment, even though I was told I would be reimbursed. I felt that was wishful thinking.

All parties concerned were right. Just getting a check up for your injuries is hardly likely to be more than a few hundred baht - unless there is something wrong with you - plus you can get a prescription for your pain.

I am not so sure about that, They wanted to transport me Bangkok Rayong Hospital by ambulance. Supposedly the moto driver had medical coverage insurance. I did not want to find out the hard way his policy had lapsed. My wife said his policy if in effect, topped out at 15,000 Baht. Bangkok Rayong can be pricy.

The moral of the story is I am working on getting my average speed up to 27 -28 KPH. Glancing at you speedometer at the wrong time can get your bell rung.

I am not so sure about that, They wanted to transport me Bangkok Rayong Hospital by ambulance. Supposedly the moto driver had medical coverage insurance. I did not want to find out the hard way his policy had lapsed. My wife said his policy if in effect, topped out at 15,000 Baht. Bangkok Rayong can be pricy.

The moral of the story is I am working on getting my average speed up to 27 -28 KPH. Glancing at you speedometer at the wrong time can get your bell rung.

I completely understand you worries re claiming off the moto drivers insurance, and think you were right to give it a pass, but if i were you i would just pop into a nearby government hospital and tell them you want a basic check up for your injuries and you want to know the costs up front. You never know, you may have done some internal damage. Better to be safe than sorry mate.

Tramadol is definitely still for sale over the counter, I bought some yesterday. The best painkiller by far for me.

I would also go to the gov hospital for a check up.........hope you're fine soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by chasggg

In SuanDork they have a special person who deals with claims on compulsory insurance. He goes round the wards and tells everyone what to do. You only needed an police report and everything would have been paid before you left up to 10500 baht. More than that you have to wait to go to court. I was operated o for 2 broken fingers. Two nights in Hospital. Cost to me nothing. Cost charged to insurance 10500/ smile.png THe 10500 is regardless of fault.

Edited by harrry

Tramadol is the only available painkiller that works on my occasionally intense and persistent headaches. (Codeine works, as well, but it is a highly controlled substance in Thailand.) However, it does make me a bit "out of focus" mentally, so the "do not drive or operate heavy machinery" disclaimer may apply to you, as well.

I have been wary of the addictiveness claims of Tramadol, but I only use it sparingly and usually no longer than a day at a time.

• Like 1

AFAIK Tramadol is still an OTC drug in Thailand. No info to the contrary on the FDA website updated as of May 2012. http://narcotic.fda....#20120519112822

However it is Category D which has recently been revised as follows:

"A first grade pharmacist shall be on duty at the premises selling modern drugs, at all times, while the premises are open for operation. Daily purchase and sale record required."

If the pharmacy you went to does not have a first grade pharmacist consistently behind the counter (true of a large number of places)they may therefore not be able to sell it. Or, they may simply not sell any drugs in this class in ordcert to avoid the hassle of the required record keeping.

I buy 500 capsules for Bt450. I’ve been taking 6 (occasionally 8) capsules per day for years. It is only addictive for some people – not me. No effect on my driving. No adverse effect in conjunction with alcohol for me. It only reduces my chronic pain a little but that’s better than nothing.

• Like 1

When I was treated by CMU Ortho Surgeon for my broken leg, he prescribed a US drug that was a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol. Expensive due to the country of origin.

I looked up the chemical contents of the combination and then went out and bought the two drugs separately and then, of course, took both with excellent results.

Those who have not tried Tramadol in combination with Paracetamol should give it a try, might have positive effects in combination for you.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I buy 500 capsules for Bt450. I’ve been taking 6 (occasionally 8) capsules per day for years. It is only addictive for some people – not me. No effect on my driving. No adverse effect in conjunction with alcohol for me. It only reduces my chronic pain a little but that’s better than nothing.

How can you say it's not addictive while you have been taking 6 to 8 capsules daily for years? Have you tried stopping? "Being addictive" and "making you drowsy/unfocused/high" are two separate issues.

• Like 2

I've been taking Tramadol / Tramal since 2002 as the result of pain associated with reconstructive surgery for a massive orbital fracture (eye socket).

Tramadol Hydrochloride was developed in Germany during the 2nd World War as a non-addictive replacement for Codeine, the supplies of which had been cut off by the Allied manufacturers. (Humanitarian huh?)

Haviing gone weeks and ocasionally months without having access to supplies of Tramadol I can say from experience that they are in no way addictive and I have never suffered any form of "withdrawl" when not using it. For people who have not taken it before the 50mg capsules can elicit a euphoric feeling the first few times that it is used and driving or operating machinery until the effects wear off is not advisable.

Strangely enough I'm now using it in conjunction with Paracetamol due to injuries suffered last Thursday evening when a car decided to pull out in front of me while I was travelling on a motorbike. With no broken bones I also refused hospitalistion as I could see no benefit from it ocmpared to the treatment I could self-administer.

Tramadol as of today is freely available in Pattaya in all the pharmacies around my area (Suk Sabai VIlla) for 30B a strip of 10 caps. Though some try the falang price on me if there is a new assistant in there.

As always, if pain persists , see a doctor.

Cheers, Admiral Ken

Never had a problem and like another poster have gone without for 7- 10 days when I have forgotten to pack it and it can't be bought over the counter where traveling outside Thailand. I have taken this for over 10 years due to chronic pain (back and knees-many surgeries). Some places say they don't have it when I ask for Tramadol but if I ask for Tramil(generic) they know what it is.