Australian Tourist Visa For My Thai Girlfriend , Any Advice Appreciated .

Hi all , this is a first time post for me ..Where do i start ? Ok here goes , i intend on going to Thailand in march and staying with my Thai girl for the second time ..THis time it is our wish for her to be able to come back here and spend some time in Australia and show her the sites etc ..I have a few questions ..Firstly i am on a disability pension , but have plenty of cash ..Is it an issue for immigration that i don't have a job ? Secondly she is 20 nearly turning 21 is her age an issue ? She is currently attending university and has this year and the next to go and doesnt intend to leave until she finishes nor do i want her to ..I guess thats the basics , i have read abit about saving/ presenting evidence of our relationship ie: past trips and hollidays speant together , photos etc , emails and communications ( we talk on skype every night do we show that ? ) From what i can understand alot of immigrations concerns seem to revolve around knowing if she intends on staying in Australia or not and as a friend mentioned the other day , they are also scared of people marrying the girlfriend once they're here ??..That seems strange in a sense when all the evidence needed to present would actually paint a picture of love and a strong connection i thought ? My other queries revolve around the length of time that the application process takes and anything else i need to know to make our application successful ..Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help .

Edited by locorigodan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't about you. It's about her. And the main question is "Reason to Return".

Marrying there (in Aus) isn't relevant, since that doesn't help her stay there at that point. (ie she doesn't automatically get to stay if she marries in Aus).

Her age would only be an issue in regards to her having a reason to come back.

For the application: your bank statements (showing that you can support her while she is in Aus), her bank statements (not sure that would help in this case), and all evidence that would show that she will come back.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thankyou whybother , that clears some of my concerns and makes sense , cheers ! ..Is it best to go through an agency or apply personally and directly to the Au immigration office in person ?

An agency can't change the facts, but they might be able to twist them.

If you have downloaded the application form, you can see what information you need. You shouldn't need an agency to help you fill it out. The agency would have no sway with the embassy.

• Like 1

I have done one for my TGF previously by myself and asked for a 3 month single entry, she was issued a 12 month multi entry so I suspect that I did something right. I had a look at a lot of previous posts at the time and applied what I learnt. The following guide is what I used for the application (plus a few hints).

: A few photo's over a period of time showing us together. I actually just used touristy type photo's from where we had been on holidays. Printed them out 4 per A4 page with a brief drescription and date eg Doi Suthep June 2010 etc. About 8 photo's in total to show existing relationship as opposed to a holiday fling. Include a couple with her family and name them as relatives if possible. A lot of photo's from Pattaya etc will probably not have the same effect if you get my meaning.

The application is generally done through VFS and rarely through the embassy. http://www.vfs-au.net/

: Copies of statements from a couple of my bank acoounts to prove I could support her during the holiday.

: Details of why she wants to come back to Thailand (they are looking for people who want to stay and work in Aust and will reject application if suspicious). So show dates for proposed travel and how it meshes with school term dates etc. Show existing enrollments etc.

: Overload them with data (but not to much). Honestly the more effort you put in to the application I think leads to greater chance of success

Read the stuff on the immigration/VFS websites and ensure the ducks are all there and correctly lined up.

I basically sent in about 10 pages of documentation for the application, seemed to work. Reminds me I must apply again, just have to pay the new rip off fees. The fees went up in October to help pay for the illegals, well done Juliar and wood duck Swan. Best of luck OP.

Cheers

• Like 2

The application is generally done through VFS and rarely through the embassy. http://www.vfs-au.net/

I don't think the application is EVER done through the embassy, which is why the agency doesn't have much sway.

Also, I notice your "location" is in Thailand (as is mine). I think it is a lot easier to get a visa when the the bf is living in Thailand. There is more reason for the gf to come back if the bf is also coming back.

"Firstly i am on a disability pension , but have plenty of cash .." ... rolleyes.gif

You mentioned her age but not yours?

What was the length of time you 'stayed' together?

Does she currently have a Passport?

If yes ... has she travelled to another country?

"Firstly i am on a disability pension , but have plenty of cash .." ... rolleyes.gif

You mentioned her age but not yours?

What was the length of time you 'stayed' together?

Does she currently have a Passport?

If yes ... has she travelled to another country?

HI and thanks all for the great info , i am 43 and no she doesn't have a passport and never has had one .

We stayed together in sept oct 2012 for approx 6 weeks on her break ..But have been communicating solid for a good 12months ..

Exellent info here and much appreciated ..I havn't downloaded that form , but great idea Litlos and thanks for the tips , i don't have shots with her family yet , meeting the family was coming this trip ..But we have plenty of us together at various sites all over Thailand ..ARe email correspondancies worthy ? She only basically has the money i give her ..So the basic plan was go over there end of Feb , get her passport soughted and start the ball rolling with the visa and then hopefully fly back to Oz for a month approx before she goes back to UNi after her break finishes ..So using the VFS site is a good start and gathering as much info and copies of time speant together is the way to go too ..Ok if she has very little money in her bank is that a problem? As Krisb said a plethora of info and much appreciated , cheers for the help thumbsup.gif

Went over there last year with the longtime GF (6yrs) and had no trouble, but she had done 2 trips to NZ with me, one to Singapore and 2 to Laos. She had also been to India before we got together.

Dont forget a return ticket.

Thanks Robby , i guess compared to some here my relationship is quite fresh ..I would definatly be purchasing her a return ticket thumbsup.gif , my intentions for her to visit here as a tourist are very genuine .

Went over there last year with the longtime GF (6yrs) and had no trouble, but she had done 2 trips to NZ with me, one to Singapore and 2 to Laos. She had also been to India before we got together.

Dont forget a return ticket.

One of your gf reasons to come back was because you were coming back too. It's very different when the OP lives in Aus.

She will not be able to support herself while she is in Australia. You will have to supply a letter stating that you will be supporting her while she is in Australia. You will have to provide details of your money. You have a disability pension but state you have plenty of cash. You will need to supply bank statements which can back this up.

She is applying for a tourist visa. State also what you want her to see while there. Give them a rough itnerary of what you plan to do.

Supply the records from Skype to show your communication.

Good luck

• Like 1

OK from what i can gather she would come in as a high risk catergory and processing could take 1.5 months ..it looks like i will have to plan my trip to Thai accordingly ?

Visitors

The table below details the processing time service standards for visitor visas.
Visa Application Lodged in Australia Lodged outside Australia Low Risk* High Risk Low Risk* High Risk Sponsored Visitors

(subclass 679) n/a n/a n/a 1.5 months Non-Sponsored Visitors

(subclass 676, 651, 976) 1 working day 1 week 1 working day 1 month

So the initial idea of having a month to get her passport and then lodge the visa application is going to blow out to possibly 2 months ?

I am pretty sure you will have to supply a passport at time of application you can get her passport in bangna

takes about5-6 hours if you put the application in first thing in the morning as soon as they open

usually the Oz embassy will give her an answer in 1 working week i think? well my 2 g/fs had an answer in that time anyway

just be truthfull as they are experts at seeing thru bs! and keep copies of everything you send in just for any future

applications would also be good if you know another aussie who could verify that you have known this girl for the time you have been together in aletter form that you can put with the application.

good luck

• Like 1

I am pretty sure you will have to supply a passport at time of application you can get her passport in bangna

takes about5-6 hours if you put the application in first thing in the morning as soon as they open

usually the Oz embassy will give her an answer in 1 working week i think? well my 2 g/fs had an answer in that time anyway

just be truthfull as they are experts at seeing thru bs! and keep copies of everything you send in just for any future

applications would also be good if you know another aussie who could verify that you have known this girl for the time you have been together in aletter form that you can put with the application.

good luck

Thanks Scotto , where is the passport place exactly ? cheers !!

good luck

She can get a passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana. I'm not sure about the Bang Na location.

Heres a not bad idea, get a sim card from a company called Lebara. They are readily available nearly anywhere these days. Its a pre paid sim. They charge about 1cent a min and not much connection maybe 20cents to Thailand. What makes them handy is your account can be viewed on their website. So all the calls to her show the number you rang, the time you rang, how long plus all sms to her number. Print it off then send that to vfs to show contacting her.

• Like 1

good luck

She can get a passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana. I'm not sure about the Bang Na location.

Bang Na is downstairs in the supermarket complex. Cant remember name probably a Central. She would be able to find it on the net in Thai. Like said above keep a photocopy of everything you send in cause the more visas you apply for later down the track they cross referance questions from previous applications you made. Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Thankyou whybother , that clears some of my concerns and makes sense , cheers ! ..Is it best to go through an agency or apply personally and directly to the Au immigration office in person ?

An agency can't change the facts, but they might be able to twist them.

If you have downloaded the application form, you can see what information you need. You shouldn't need an agency to help you fill it out. The agency would have no sway with the embassy.

Im hopeless at paperwork and the organising of it according to my work accountant and I agree with him,but I managed to put visa applications together easy enough. I even gave up half way through the fiance300 its a book to fill out, and thought they can ring if theres a problem. No problems, all easy enough. So Im saying dont pay someone a grand to do it. Its not rocket science just study it a bit and get the info they want.

OK thanks for all your help , much appreciated !thumbsup.gif

Heres a not bad idea, get a sim card from a company called Lebara. They are readily available nearly anywhere these days. Its a pre paid sim. They charge about 1cent a min and not much connection maybe 20cents to Thailand. What makes them handy is your account can be viewed on their website. So all the calls to her show the number you rang, the time you rang, how long plus all sms to her number. Print it off then send that to vfs to show contacting her.

Wow thats great ,its been costing me hundreds to call her thumbsup.gif