Australian Tourist Visa For My Thai Girlfriend , Any Advice Appreciated .

Heres a not bad idea, get a sim card from a company called Lebara. They are readily available nearly anywhere these days. Its a pre paid sim. They charge about 1cent a min and not much connection maybe 20cents to Thailand. What makes them handy is your account can be viewed on their website. So all the calls to her show the number you rang, the time you rang, how long plus all sms to her number. Print it off then send that to vfs to show contacting her.

Wow thats great ,its been costing me hundreds to call her thumbsup.gif

You can use skype to call landlines and mobile. Here are their rates.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/prices/pay-monthly/#TH

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good advice has been given to you.

Just like to add that you should make the application nice and neat and in order. If possible put all the docs in one of those ring binder type folders or something similar, make it easy for them to find the information. Also a covering letter explaining how you met, when, where etc etc. Give them a little story.

Just try and make it look professional and easy to follow your attachments.

My gf got a 3 month first time. Second time asked for 6 months and was offered that or could take the 12 month visa but she would have to leave every 3 months and come back. I took the straight 6 month visa as I just couldn't afford to keep paying for her flights every 3 months.

The first visa the 3 months went very fast, we had a ball. The 6 month stay was a bit more difficult for her as the novelty had worn off a bit and she got bored with very little english speaking skills. I kept telling her to go for a walk during the day whilst I was working but she wouldn't dream of stepping outside the house by herself. Was still a good stay though, she did enjoy it, quite an eye opener for her.

Good luck with the visa, hope all goes well.

• Like 1

Heres a not bad idea, get a sim card from a company called Lebara. They are readily available nearly anywhere these days. Its a pre paid sim. They charge about 1cent a min and not much connection maybe 20cents to Thailand. What makes them handy is your account can be viewed on their website. So all the calls to her show the number you rang, the time you rang, how long plus all sms to her number. Print it off then send that to vfs to show contacting her.

Seriously?

I have been using Lebarra for a long time. It is actually cheaper than that. Now That my lady is here she uses it to call home, Costs me around $25 a month and she talks to her Mum and sisters for up to an hour at a time every week.

I alsu did all her Visas by myself and including the Fiancee visa and never had a problem. Just take your time and be truthfull. The more info the better

• Like 2

I warmly suggest that anyone who relies on electronic communication between their home country and Thailand is for a couple of emails sent each week makes proving the relationship as being bona-fide as a far better option then phone records.

The simple reason is that they provide a convenient record of the communication which can be included in a Visa application.

I'm not 'old school' in my thinking ... just that they are a great and inclusive record.

As for communication ... I use a phone card.

400 mins, yep almost 7 hours of talk time for just $10 Aussie Dollars.

That's how we do it ... your experiences may vary.

• Like 1

I would advise that you must know each other a minimum of 3 months and supply :

• Phone records
  • Emails
  • Photographs
  • Demonstrate she meets the genuine visitor criteria
  • Evidence of strong family ties

We also process Australian Partner visas & Tourist visa applications.

• Like 1

You're lucky. Back in the 80's it used to cost me thousands (AUD) per month to have a long distance relationship with a Swede and I didn't get to see her on cam. Times have changed. That was back in the days when Telstra had a monopoly (I think it was called Telecom back then).

... and we used to write letters. I've still got a box full of them.

Edited by tropo

You're lucky. Back in the 80's it used to cost me thousands (AUD) per month to have a long distance relationship with a Swede and I didn't get to see her on cam. Times have changed. That was back in the days when Telstra had a monopoly (I think it was called Telecom back then).

... and we used to write letters. I've still got a box full of them.

What! thousands a month?...I find that a slightly expensive. I would believe perhaps a hundred or so. I know it was much more when Telecom was about the only phone supplier but thousands of dollars each month?..no.

I warmly suggest that anyone who relies on electronic communication between their home country and Thailand is for a couple of emails sent each week makes proving the relationship as being bona-fide as a far better option then phone records.

The simple reason is that they provide a convenient record of the communication which can be included in a Visa application.

I'm not 'old school' in my thinking ... just that they are a great and inclusive record.

Thats great value David, hows the connection quality? like is there much lag before speaking and answering? I use optus pre paid on their international zone a they call it which is only 6cents a minute and its like talking to someone locally. Whats the name of the phone card you use? may get my wife onto that.
  • Like 1

What! thousands a month?...I find that a slightly expensive. I would believe perhaps a hundred or so. I know it was much more when Telecom was about the only phone supplier but thousands of dollars each month?..no.

Yes, thousands per month. I should know, I paid the bills circa 1989.

Your comment is a bit silly, because obviously the bill would depend on how long I spent on the phone, wouldn't it.... and I was in love.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Your comment is a bit silly, because obviously the bill would depend on how long I spent on the phone, wouldn't it.... and I was in love.biggrin.png

Sorry if you think it was silly. So like how many thousands a month were you spending and for how long did this go on for? Hope you are now married to her? Far out you could of visited her in person weekly and it would have been cheaperbiggrin.png
  • Like 1

Thats great value David, hows the connection quality? like is there much lag before speaking and answering? I use optus pre paid on their international zone a they call it which is only 6cents a minute and its like talking to someone locally. Whats the name of the phone card you use? may get my wife onto that.

Kris ,6 cents a minute is sounding pretty good to me too .. i do talk to mine quite often and sometimes the duration last longer than i would hope due to various circumstances .I have used those phone cards before and some are good some arent ..Another good thing thats come out of everyones input is that i have discovered that im able to go onto optus's website whom im on contract with for my mobile and dig up phone bills with my girl from june last year , which is a big plus ! ..I have them printed out now ..and as FDOG has suggested , i have decided to put everything into a folder which makes it easier organising for myself aswell , if not for immigrations sake ..I feel alot more confident at getting her over here now and i'm really looking forward to showing her around , of course im not going to live with out the possibilty of it not working as there is always that chance , but yeah lots of great info here ..and discovering i have emails and phone records that go back to June last year , plus details of transactions from my account to hers has to be a big + i would think .

Sorry if you think it was silly. So like how many thousands a month were you spending and for how long did this go on for? Hope you are now married to her? Far out you could of visited her in person weekly and it would have been cheaperbiggrin.png

The biggest bill was about $1,763.83... which is fairly high in 1989 currency.

If you must know....I brought her over to Australia and got permanent residency for her. We lived together for nearly 2 years, got engaged and then broke up. Such is life - we were in our 20's.

Kris ,6 cents a minute is sounding pretty good to me too .. i do talk to mine quite often and sometimes the duration last longer than i would hope due to various circumstances .I have used those phone cards before and some are good some arent ..Another good thing thats come out of everyones input is that i have discovered that im able to go onto optus's website whom im on contract with for my mobile and dig up phone bills with my girl from june last year , which is a big plus ! ..I have them printed out now ..and as FDOG has suggested , i have decided to put everything into a folder which makes it easier organising for myself aswell , if not for immigrations sake ..I feel alot more confident at getting her over here now and i'm really looking forward to showing her around , of course im not going to live with out the possibilty of it not working as there is always that chance , but yeah lots of great info here ..and discovering i have emails and phone records that go back to June last year , plus details of transactions from my account to hers has to be a big + i would think .

Just take your time, set it all out, its not that hard. Make sure you come back and tell us how it went ok
  • Like 1

If you do not want to muck around and have the dough get an agent to do it for you about 12000 baht.He bought his girl out as finacee,went through a guy that advertites on tv no visa no fee.Cost him 5000 baht to get the ball rolling.Local police helped with passport,$40,I think that took at day.He put some money in her bank no much,had some photos that was about it.That took about 2 weeks.My son went over for 2 weeks visa not ready agent wanted him to put another 5000 baht in her bank.He came home I went over 2 days later got a call from the agent visa was there.I wasnt coming home had about 25 days left on my 30 days she said ok waited came back with me.Sorry when she knew visa was there after a couple of days we went into town and I booked her a ticket on my MC my son paid me back when we got home.Also one of the main things agent wanted was photo of engagment ring,docket where he bought it,how much and photo of her wearing ring.Was a very simple process.Day we were coming home Uncle and Auntie drove us from Korat to Pattaya,picked up Visa,I payed the account all took about 10 minutes,then they drove us to the airport.Very easy

Hi krisb

Mate we also use optus but we go with the international calls 4 less much cheaper 23 or 26cents flag call and 3cents a minute, minimum recharge amount $30 but lasts for 3months they also include a heap of free sms with this, and the local call's also seem to be a lot cheaper than there normal pre paid service.

Was with Lebara a long time ago but there reception was shit and kept cutting out all the time.

My missus calls Thailand when ever she want's for how long she want's and at the end of the day it cost's sweet fuc_k all.

here a link to there fees 0.5cents per minute for landlines and 3 cents per minute to mobiles 23cents flag

url.htm

Edited by nightwatch
  • Like 1

The phone card I use is the Aussie phone card - sanuk

I was optimistic with the call rate (must have been thinking of the Thai card)

$10 = 237 mins ... 2.37c a minute.

Local call for connection.

If anyone has a better deal please type it here ... I keen to save the pennies.

Oh ... krisb ... no delay, quality good.

If, per chance the connection is cr*ap ... which sometimes it is ... you hit ## twice ... (we say 'hash', they say 'square' key) and you can dial again ... and not connection cost.

Once you have made the initial connection you can keep dialing other numbers in Thailand.

• Like 1

I would advise that you must know each other a minimum of 3 months and supply :

• Phone records
  • Emails
  • Photographs
  • Demonstrate she meets the genuine visitor criteria
  • Evidence of strong family ties

We also process Australian Partner visas & Tourist visa applications.

How much do you charge for your services?

smile.png

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

If, per chance the connection is cr*ap ... which sometimes it is ... you hit ## twice ... (we say 'hash', they say 'square' key) and you can dial again ... and not connection cost.

Once you have made the initial connection you can keep dialing other numbers in Thailand.

I wonder if hitting the hash key twice works on all calls? First Ive heard of this.
  • Like 1

A little bit confused what your actually asking there David.

But if your looking to save your penny's for phone calls from Aus to Thailand you should check on the link i provided with my last post a lot better rate than what u are paying with your Aussie phone card.(not sure what this is?)

$2.37 pang mak mak

• Like 2

Hi krisb

Mate we also use optus but we go with the international calls 4 less much cheaper 23 or 26cents flag call and 3cents a minute, minimum recharge amount $30 but lasts for 3months they also include a heap of free sms with this, and the local call's also seem to be a lot cheaper than there normal pre paid service.

Was with Lebara a long time ago but there reception was shit and kept cutting out all the time.

My missus calls Thailand when ever she want's for how long she want's and at the end of the day it cost's sweet fuc_k all.

here a link to there fees 0.5cents per minute for landlines and 3 cents per minute to mobiles 23cents flag

Hmm, ok then. Im gonna look into that. So its called "international calls for less"?

Im a bit confused that they have more than 1 international service on their prepaid phones (I only like prepaid, hate bills!)

Thanks for the heads up!...Im going into Optus quick smart me thinks, but David48 seems to be on a good thing with his phone card.

• Like 1

A little bit confused what your actually asking there David.

But if your looking to save your penny's for phone calls from Aus to Thailand you should check on the link i provided with my last post a lot better rate than what u are paying with your Aussie phone card.(not sure what this is?)

$2.37 pang mak mak

No thats 2.37cents I think!
  • Like 1

Got that wrong it is actually called

Connect 4 Less (optus)

All prepaid.

just go into a optus agent/shop next time your in town and check it out you will need a new sim to start this sevice but you will still be able to keep your old number if u want.

Just out of curiosity is the link i provided working looks like no one has downloaded it?

Edited by nightwatch
  • Like 2

Got that wrong it is actually Connect 4 Less

Cheers! so its optus connect 4 less. Ok Im onto em, thankyou!

ps, it pees me off that they(optus) cant offer you the best call rates to start with!

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Have also a look at this post (clickable link) I wrote earlier ... it's a step-by-step process of how my gf applied for her Australian Tourist Visa.

It was her second Visa ... but you might find some of the information or links usefull.

Good Luck

This is the best link to complete your application, I followed it and there was never an issue probably supplied too much info to them. You can actually go into VFS and have a chat with them thats what i plan on doing when im over there in april.

The thai gf has just gone back home after 2 weeks here, she had a great time.

with smart phones you can use apps like "Line" "whatsapp" "Viber" "Tango(video calls)" for txt msgs and some for phone calls which are all free. The great thing about these apps is it keeps ur msgs history and u can print it out. with optus if ur on contract u can purchase an extra package for intl calls.

you dont need an agent for the tourist visa very simple, i would get a letter from her university showing that she is registered there and also the semesters etc. as most other members have said the most important thing is to show she has a reason to return. my gf paid about 200 baht to a travel agent basically a booking fee to show her ticket even though i told her not to and it wasnt required. there is a thai website where all the girls talk about these very same issues.

one thing i did do was have my gf fly thai airways as it was her first time out of her country and to make it as easy as possible for her without worrying about connecting flights.

all the best

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have also a look at this post (clickable link) I wrote earlier ... it's a step-by-step process of how my gf applied for her Australian Tourist Visa.

It was her second Visa ... but you might find some of the information or links usefull.

Good Luck

This is the best link to complete your application, I followed it and there was never an issue probably supplied too much info to them. You can actually go into VFS and have a chat with them thats what i plan on doing when im over there in april.

with smart phones you can use apps like "Line" "whatsapp" "Viber" "Tango(video calls)" for txt msgs and some for phone calls which are all free. The great thing about these apps is it keeps ur msgs history and u can print it out. with optus if ur on contract u can purchase an extra package for intl calls.

you dont need an agent for the tourist visa very simple, i would get a letter from her university showing that she is registered there and also the semesters etc. as most other members have said the most important thing is to show she has a reason to return. my gf paid about 200 baht to a travel agent basically a booking fee to show her ticket even though i told her not to and it wasnt required. there is a thai website where all the girls talk about these very same issues.

one thing i did do was have my gf fly thai airways as it was her first time out of her country and to make it as easy as possible for her without worrying about connecting flights.

all the best

Thanks Biggles , yes i plan on flying her with Thai airways too , we use wattsapp , but i had trouble emailing the conversation and thus couldnt print it out ..still trying to work out whats going on there ..another app my girl got me onto is called line and we have made calls using this over the last week and its very clear clearer than a phone almost .Personally i don't like connections from Thai , i would rather pay a few more dollars and do non stop ..Its been hectic over the last week or so as i have also moved house , but already to go pretty much now ..i leave on the 27th of Feb , i can't wait to get back to Thai ;) cheers !!

Good Luck

all the best

Thanks Biggles , yes i plan on flying her with Thai airways too , we use wattsapp , but i had trouble emailing the conversation and thus couldnt print it out ..still trying to work out whats going on there ..another app my girl got me onto is called line and we have made calls using this over the last week and its very clear clearer than a phone almost .Personally i don't like connections from Thai , i would rather pay a few more dollars and do non stop ..Its been hectic over the last week or so as i have also moved house , but already to go pretty much now ..i leave on the 27th of Feb , i can't wait to get back to Thai wink.png cheers !!

if ur having trouble emailing ur conversation with whatsapp, maybe u havent registered ur email address so u will need to go into settings otherwise just use line which is much the same.

• Like 1