Australian Tourist Visa For My Thai Girlfriend , Any Advice Appreciated .

Hi there again guys , well im happy to announce that the application for the visa for my girlfriend was successful , we will be flying into sydney on the 20th of april ..She was granted a multiple entry visa .Visitor Class FA , Visitor sub class 600 , not exactly sure what all that means ..Its valid for 12 months until April next year to be exact ..How many entries could she make in that period ? Its not very clear , simply a brief letter , no stamps on passport etc ..I assume this is somehow recorded on a data base with the australian government etc ? Im hoping she won't have to do a heap of explaining once she goes through customs , as no doubt i will be going through a different gate than her ..What safe guards shoud i have in place , should she have a certain amount of money on her , should she know what she will be doing and seeing , my address etc etc ? It seems weird having to think like thi considerin the vast amounts of information i have already provided to obtain her visa in the first place ..Anyway thanks for all your previous help and advice , much appreciated !!

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to avoid the "is she a prostitute" line of questioning from Customs?

Line up with her - as an Australian citizen, you can use any lane you like with the exception of the "Diplomatic/ APEC Card Holder/ Air Crew lane (unless of course you also befit one of those categories)

You'll still be waiting the same amount of time either way, and it might make your gf feel a bit more comfortable...

As for the visa entitlements; sounds like visa is valid for a year with a max of 3 month stays at a time...

• Like 1

Want to avoid the "is she a prostitute" line of questioning from Customs?

Line up with her - as an Australian citizen, you can use any lane you like with the exception of the "Diplomatic/ APEC Card Holder/ Air Crew lane (unless of course you also befit one of those categories)

You'll still be waiting the same amount of time either way, and it might make your gf feel a bit more comfortable...

As for the visa entitlements; sounds like visa is valid for a year with a max of 3 month stays at a time

Yes i would like to avoid that and any other questioning tht may make her feel uncomfortable , i keep thinking of that tv show "border security" Ok well i will be lining up with her , good idea ..Still seems kind of vague in regards to visa , alot of work goes into obtaining it and you get no evidence of obtaining it , so we face some dooshbag at au customs , having to explain ourselves ? Surelly they must connect some dots better than that ..

Mate ... couple of things you ask about.

1/ Why do you have to go through a different Immigration line?

Even if you have a biometric Passport, there is nothing stopping you lining up with your lady and going through together.

Just ask the Immigration officer if you can both stand in the 'Australian Passport Holders Line' ... if not ... just stand with the others.

2/ Thais have a great habit of saying yes!

Immigration Officer asks to your girl ... "Do you plan to work in Australia"

Your girl instinctively replies ... "Yes". She is saying "Yes, I understand your question"

Just get her to instinctively pause, say "Yes to her self" and "No, I just tourist" to the Immigration Officer.

She won't be asked any 'working girl' questions ... unless maybe the Immigration forms a line of questioning based on her appearance. Just dress like any other weary traveller and she won't stand out for any special attention.

3/ Having got past the Immigration Officer, don't presume that that will be the end of it. My girl was approached by Immigration on 2 of the 4 visits she's had here. Once while we flew in together she got approached and casually questioned while I waited for the luggage to come through.

The next time was when she flew in herself ... actually got taken off to the Interview Room.

All polite and all that.

4/ On her first visit we got the full treatment with Customs ... down to the empty bag X-Rayed ... it was a cavity search next ... w00t.gif

... but it never got to that!

5/ Money ... Nah.

Make sure she has a little coin, maybe $50 ... what ever is the taxi fare to your place from the centre of town. My lady has never been asked about the amount of money she had on her.

If she is asked, simply say that she is travelling today with her bf.

6/ Visa wise ... she has the new and improved 600 version!

None of us have had that before. But assuming that it operates the same as the old 676 Visa then ...

She has multiple entries ... can come and go as she pleases ... but the maximum stay is 3 months.

Must leave after this.

Sure ... she can do Visa runs for a day or two away ... but the Immigration guys may (and I say may) develop a deeper line of questioning on subsequent returns into Australia. I did read sometime ago, one poster here had that issue ... but that was sometime ago and nothing reported since.

An important thing to note is that your lady can enter into Australia before the Visa expires and stay here legally for 3 months ... even though technically the Visa has expired.

We confirmed this the Australian Embassy in Bangkok before attempting this.

7/ As for general tips.

FOOD ... make sure she has any food stored in the BIG suitcase and not in the carry-on and declare it. My lady brings in all sorts of things with no problems. Always tells the Customs Officers and has never had anything that was commercially prepared refused by customs.

8/ As for you ... read my thread on DVT's ... don't think it can't happen to you!

9/ Remember that she has a Duty Free allowance also ... double the cheap booze that you can bring in.

10/ If I've missed anything ... ask away. I'm sure the other guys have some helpful tips also.

OH ... BTW, don't know what City you are going into but ... Winter is coming ... she will feel it.

delonghi_hve333_heater.jpg

Buy her one of those thermostatically controlled fan heaters, you know the type ... sort of act like a hair dryer. Careful though ... she will turn the thermostat to the Max ... laugh.png

• Like 2

As for the lining up at passport control, it isn't a problem at all, in fact as you are travelling together they do actually prefer, and ask that people travelling together go through immigration together regardless of different passports. So no issue there.

The post above gives some very good advice. I'm very happy to hear she has the visa, she will have a ball.

Just remember, she may be a nice petite girl now but after a couple of weeks/months on oz food she will start to pile on the weight. smile.png

Be wary of Thai girls and those long cream donuts. smile.png

Also as stated, a good idea to make sure she has a bit of cash in her purse. Also, my gf had a photo of me in her purse. She didn't speak a lot of english on her first trip but when asked a question she just showed him my photo and smiled. Customs guy just laughed and let her through, no problem.

All the best, you will both have a ball. smile.png

• Like 1

Yes i would like to avoid that and any other questioning tht may make her feel uncomfortable , i keep thinking of that tv show "border security" Ok well i will be lining up with her , good idea ..Still seems kind of vague in regards to visa , alot of work goes into obtaining it and you get no evidence of obtaining it , so we face some dooshbag at au customs , having to explain ourselves ? Surelly they must connect some dots better than that ..

Exactly, good educational viewing that TV show... I think they should put a couple of episodes onto the IFE on all incoming flights :P

The lack of a physical visa is replaced by an electronic visa, once your gf's passport is scanned, it will show up on their screen with all the information they need, so it's unlikely that you'll face a customs officer with multiple questions at this point because he/she can't physically see a visa in the passport..

Oh yeah make sure if she's carrying ANY food that she declares it! It's not a crime to carry food and declare it but don't declare it, and well, you've watched Border Security...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

Each time my girlfriend ( now my wife ) came into Sydney with me we went through the Australian residents AND THEIR FAMILIES section, couldnt have been easier in both immigration and customs when we are together.

The one time she came by herself was a nightmare, She got the full workover from a verry sour immigration lady who kept asking the same questions in different ways to trick her up, and even said she had never heard of the town i lived in ( only 2 hours west of Sydne ). When she finally got through, Customs gave her the full work over, everything emptied out and checked. So much worse than the simple procedure when travelling with me.

you are definately doing the right thing travelling with her.

Anytime she travels alone giver her a letter from you with everything spelled out and your contact details, so they can call you if they have questions.

My Lady put on 5 kilos in her first three month stay, so you really do have to watch the food smile.png

feel free to PM me if you want any advice or info.

Congratulations on the Visa and Good luck with it all. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I have always gone through (multiple times) the Australian Passport holders line in Australia with my wife who has a Thai passport, and in Thailand we always go through the Thai Passport holders line with my wife on my Australian Passport. Never had an issue either way, and on a couple of times when stopped before getting to the lines have been directed this way.

My advice is pick the shortest line, and stay with her and there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks guys all great info there , im in the process now of going through our bags and making sure there isnt anythng that will make the alarm bells ring , she suffers car/motion sickness and relies on some drug from 7/11 i hope that will be ok ..But im not risking food thanks David ,or anything else that may alarm them ..Great advice here , im thinking i should go through Oz immigration from what i've just read from Wazzi , but regardless she won't be leaving my side ..I know shes going to feel the cold , she says she's looking forward to that , but it will be interesting to see how she goes ..Im thinking she can help keep me warm anyway ;) 2 months in Thai and im dreading going back to Oz and the cold , atleast i will have her with me this time .Thanks Fdog , its making this trip home seem so much brighter this time ..I will keep you all in the loop , cheers ;)

• 7 years later...

My girl has been in Australia for more than 1 year where they are asking for a police certificate. How do we get one?

Here is the information on the email they sent me below:

Police certificates You must provide police certificate(s) from each country where you have lived for a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years as evidence that you satisfy the character requirements. These 12 months are calculated cumulatively and need not have been consecutive. The name on the police certificate(s) must match the name in your passport and must include any other names or aliases you are or have been known by. If the name on the police clearance certificate(s) received by us is different from your passport or does not list all other names you have been known by, you will be requested to obtain another police certificate(s). If you are unable to obtain a police certificate, it is in your best interest to demonstrate to us, with documentary evidence where possible, that you have made a genuine attempt to obtain the relevant certificate(s). If we are satisfied that you are unable to obtain a police - 4 - certificate(s) and have made a genuine attempt to do so, then a waiver of this requirement may be granted. If you do not provide the police certificate(s) and I am satisfied that it is reasonable for you to provide them, your application may be refused. Some countries may need you to obtain a letter from us confirming the request for a police certificate. More information including country-specific instructions on how to obtain a police certificate is available on our website immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-ourrequirements/character

Edited by organicman

1 minute ago, organicman said:

My girl has been in Australia for more than 1 year where they are asking for a police certificate. How do we get one?

Here is the information on the email they sent me below:

Police certificates You must provide police certificate(s) from each country where you have lived for a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years as evidence that you satisfy the character requirements. These 12 months are calculated cumulatively and need not have been consecutive. The name on the police certificate(s) must match the name in your passport and must include any other names or aliases you are or have been known by. If the name on the police clearance certificate(s) received by us is different from your passport or does not list all other names you have been known by, you will be requested to obtain another police certificate(s). If you are unable to obtain a police certificate, it is in your best interest to demonstrate to us, with documentary evidence where possible, that you have made a genuine attempt to obtain the relevant certificate(s). If we are satisfied that you are unable to obtain a police - 4 - certificate(s) and have made a genuine attempt to do so, then a waiver of this requirement may be granted. If you do not provide the police certificate(s) and I am satisfied that it is reasonable for you to provide them, your application may be refused. Some countries may need you to obtain a letter from us confirming the request for a police certificate. More information including country-specific instructions on how to obtain a police certificate is available on our website immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-ourrequirements/character

You’re answering a question that was asked more than seven years ago, I’ll close the thread.