Maple Syrup And Oyster Sauce

Wes Turner

Got 2 questions where can i get decent maple syrup? Its now Maple sugaring season in Ontario until late march and i am missing the taste is there anywhere i can get it in Thailand before i get some flown in?

also (off topic) but why is oyster sauce thicker in the jars in tescos and is it really made from oysters because it doesnt smell ort taste fishy at all.

Edited by penzman

Maple syrup is never cheap. A 375ml can goes for about 6$ back home in Quebec. 40 gallons of sap have to be boiled in order to make 1 gallon. Never seen the stuff here. I've brought some here twice and made it last a year each time. Lots of maple syrup is exported from Canada to Japan. Forget what you see in the plastic bottles here in Thailand, it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

As for the Oyster sauce, any sauce I've tried under the Tesco label is always cheaply made and full of sugar. Go for a local brand name.

The Tesco Oystersauce contains significantly less salt than the Thai brands, which makes it taste a bit bland by comparison. I use it for stir-frys.

Related to maple-syrup: I haven't seen any 'real' honey in Thailand, it seems to be routinely heated to extract and tastes like sugar-water.

Maple syrup is never cheap.

In California you could buy "Grade B" maple syrup in bulk for much less than the normal Grade A export stuff. It had many more minerals and nutrients, but less natural sugar.

Still delicious, but healthier and cheaper.

Wish that they sold it here! :o

The Tesco Oystersauce contains significantly less salt than the Thai brands, which makes it taste a bit bland by comparison. I use it for stir-frys.

Related to maple-syrup: I haven't seen any 'real' honey in Thailand, it seems to be routinely heated to extract and tastes like sugar-water.

There is a health food store called something like Ruem Suan Pac across from Aden health food store near the President hotel in Chiang Mai.

They sell a honey that they say is unheated and organic and it tastes like the real deal to me.

Aden has a few varieties too, but I prefer the one that I mentioned.

I am off to Canada in April and Maple Syrup is high on my shopping list. :o

Isn't it a law that all Canadians must have maple syrup in their home at all times no matter where they live. :D:D

Edited by gisele

100% maple syrup is readily available in Chiang Mai and Bangkok nowadays. Years ago it wasn't and I used to lug two-gallon jugs from North America once a year or so. Now that it's available, I don't mind spending a tad more than you would in N America just to avoid having to carry the extra weight and risk spillage.