Panoramas Anyone?

fabianfred

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this interesting.

Taking the world’s largest panoramic photo

DURATION: 03:42

A picture of the London skyline has broken the record for the world’s largest panoramic photo.

The picture which spans 320 billion pixels - over 30,000 times the resolution of a normal digital photo - was taken from the BT Tower.

LJ Rich went behind the scenes to discover how the photo was taken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015d4ks (Link: BBC London)

• 2 weeks later...

Me early works of Panos

I called this one U-Turn Boat, something a bit different from the norm as most are just what they are, super photos that you Kan-not see with your naked all in one scene, having to turn your head around.

Use Panoramic 3.0 version for that one in 2003

large.jpg

Win w00t.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

For FREE, yes it is Free of charge so there are no more excuses not to try making your very own Pano's. w00t.gif

Microsoft Image Composite Editor is an advanced panoramic image stitcher.

http://research.micr...groups/ivm/ice/

You will have to install "Silverlight" first and the "ICE"

Hope this helps you all. thumbsup.gif

Win coffee1.gif

Hi Kan Win,I downloaded and installed the panorama program from Microsoft ICE today and tried stitching these two photos together.

I got a message saying " Could not stitch together any of the input images.Please make sure your images are taken from one place and overlap one another.

The photos were taken at the same place and at the same time.....but with single shots.

Maybe you or one of the other posters could have a look at my photos to see what I did wrong.I am not asking you to stitch them for me,only trying to learn

from my mistakes and avoid making the same mistake in the future.I have left the photos in original size.

post-126208-0-10075800-1364756932_thumb.post-126208-0-10098600-1364756942_thumb.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Shaggy

You need more overlap, so that the software can determine what to stitch, somewhere around 15%~25%. There is only a slight overlap in these two.

Including the buffalo, in the photo to the right, should have done the trick.

Hi Folks,

For FREE, yes it is Free of charge so there are no more excuses not to try making your very own Pano's. w00t.gif

Win coffee1.gif

One excuse might be " I have a Mac!"

You need more overlap, so that the software can determine what to stitch, somewhere around 15%~25%. There is only a slight overlap in these two.

Thansk you Curt1591 for your reply and advice.I understand what you mean and I will try in the future to allow more overlap when trying to make a panoramic shot.

Hi Folks,

Win coffee1.gif

One excuse might be " I have a Mac!"

Ohhhh you poor thing. sad.png I feel sorry for you all that have one, as there has been very little rain over here in Thailand.

However, once the Rainy Season and the Songkran Festival comes upon us, you will be able to use your "Mac"in"tosh".

All in all you have won our star Prize in this thread, as a teachers pet I give you an Apple (sorry no photo just use your own). tongue.png

Win who else biggrin.png

Yep, correct.

When taking pano photos you must have a link so to speak, as Curt1591 mentioned, thumbsup.gif otherwise the program will not recognise your shots.

Myself, I try to keep me shots around 30% or more as it helps to stitch them much better.

Well that's what I do. coffee1.gif

Keep on trying, showing and of course ask us if you have any problems with your photos.

Win w00t.gif and I do not have a raincoat laugh.png

what applications you guys using in joining photos ?

long ago I used PhotoStitch in Canon ZoomBrowser, too basic. now use Photo Merge in Adobe Photoshop, far better. but yet, everything automated, not mush control.

The best I have found is Kolor Autopano. Very easy to use and powerful. I have used it to stitch together photos of clouds.

what applications you guys using in joining photos ?

long ago I used PhotoStitch in Canon ZoomBrowser, too basic. now use Photo Merge in Adobe Photoshop, far better. but yet, everything automated, not mush control.

The best I have found is Kolor Autopano. Very easy to use and powerful. I have used it to stitch together photos of clouds.
thanks for sharing, will check it too ! yet start getting use the complexity of Photoshop, especially I could see adjust the 'merging' line on the picture.

since I usually shoot with upright format and pan horizontally ( for 'thicker' image height ), a lot of pano applications not able to handle it.

since I usually shoot with upright format and pan horizontally ( for 'thicker' image height ), a lot of pano applications not able to handle it.

Possibly, with the longer seam, overlap is even more critical in portrait orientation.

Possibly, with the longer seam, overlap is even more critical in portrait orientation.

Hi ETatBKK and Curt1591, wai.gif

Here is one of mine from few years ago taken in Portrait orientated mode and panned in Horizontal mode, using an Oly 8080 CW and with a very wide angled lens attached.

I took 9 shots in one take and stitched it with Panorama Maker 3.0 in those days w00t.gif . Now I have Panorama Maker 5.0 and 6.0 is out, but I am happy with it so will not up-grade any time soon. coffee1.gif

large.jpg

At near on 180 degrees, thumbsup.gif to get this sunset in Kan and fill most of the photo of the sky was the only way to do it.

Still the bend in the river though.sad.png Had I of straighten the photo, both some of the bottom and top would have been lost, hence I left it at that with the tree branch (on the left) and the raft (on the right) at the other end to show the start and end of this photo.

Please keep asking us more about this great topic. rolleyes.gif

Who else biggrin.png but Win smile.png

P.S. btw this river Kwae (Kwai) Yai is straight as a die at this point of the river.

great photo Win !

pano not only capture the 'wideness' but also the 'openness', and you did it. until I could afford a full frame fisheye, pano is an effective way to capture 180-deg in the digital world.

OK this is simply a 'snap' using the little Fuji pocket camera that lives under my bicycle seat
(as a note for durability bouncing along on a bicycle on/off road, this little camera has outlasted its three Nikon predecessors who all died between 3 and 11 months)
Simple stuff, it has a three frame 'panorama' setting
Thursday was Qingming (Cheng Meng)- Chinese grave sweeping day, this pic yesterday at Chou si tong graveyard, Chanthaburi province, when people come to pay
respect to their ancestors, clean the graves and offer food for their ancestors. It is a good Feng Shui location - upper part is mountain, lower part is the sea, it is said
that it will bring the good fortune to the future generation.

0504001_zps6010e74d.jpg

• 2 months later...

and now for something a bit different, a vertical Pano of a cave from the outside as you go in. Four or so photos in this shot

original.jpg

Please take a look and what do you or Kan see in this photo coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived