Widow Ghost Kills Ten Men In Surin

isanbirder

//link to bangkok post removed//

Put a red shirt on your gatepost to keep her away. I'm serious.... well, sort of serious.

I don't even live in Surin (I'm in Buriram), but the two houses next to mine had put red shirts on their gateposts when I passed them this morning. Do red shirts deter pi farang as well?

Edited by Tywais
Link to bangkok post removed as per forum rules

A reminder of this forum rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Sorry, I thought we were allowed to put links. Anyway, the story is too good to be wasted, so here's a summary.

Recently, ten men in good health have died suddenly in a village in Surin Province. Other inexplicable deaths have occurred as well. Those that know about these things have decided that it is due to a' widow ghost', and that the way to avoid becoming one of her victims is by putting a red shirt over your gatepost. This the villagers duly did. One shirt pictured had large white spots on it, so evidently your shirt doesn't have to be unsullied red.

Now read my OP.

Welcome to Issan, please reset your watch by 500 years to Medieval European Time.

Is this addressed to me?

I should have added that the house next to me, some years ago, also had a human effigy in front of the house, with the words in Thai "Nobody whose name begins with (initial) lives in this house", a ghost deterrent which I've also seen in Phitsanulok. I think these people don't want to take any risks.

There was a very educational documentary on Nat Geo about this , medical science having established that it's abnormal electrical activity causing heart failure in otherwise healthy people . I think it's also hereditary and can be prevented .

As is their way, however , those who have no access to this education , and some who do, prefer to believe in superstition ! Hence grown men in Isaarn have been known to wear make -up , wigs and nighties to "fool" this Widow-ghost !

Some, of course, don't need an excuse .......

• Like 2

There was a very educational documentary on Nat Geo about this , medical science having established that it's abnormal electrical activity causing heart failure in otherwise healthy people . I think it's also hereditary and can be prevented .

As is their way, however , those who have no access to this education , and some who do, prefer to believe in superstition ! Hence grown men in Isaarn have been known to wear make -up , wigs and nighties to "fool" this Widow-ghost !

Some, of course, don't need an excuse .......

It's called Halloween in the West

Welcome to Issan, please reset your watch by 500 years to Medieval European Time.

Is this addressed to me?

I should have added that the house next to me, some years ago, also had a human effigy in front of the house, with the words in Thai "Nobody whose name begins with (initial) lives in this house", a ghost deterrent which I've also seen in Phitsanulok. I think these people don't want to take any risks.

Sorry, no not addressed to you, more a case of thinking aloud.

Believe me when I say I used to be as skeptical as the next guy, to me it was all buffalo shit, I can honestly say with hand on heart I dismissed it as hear say.

Every time I venture north on HW#2 I make a point of pulling into Tesco Lotus at Pak Chong, I buy some garlic to hang on the rear view mirror, I sprinkle some holy water onto the car, holy shit this crap actually works.

As I scurry off into the nether world along the 224 heading for Transylvania in Buriram and Surin, I can honestly say I have never encountered a Pee Bop or Pee Ga Soo, the only "spirits in the night" I have ever encountered has been lao kao.

So to all you non believers out there, mock at your own peril.

• Like 2

I am wondering if there is a connection being pushed to form a subconscious link between the red shirt on the gate post to protect your house from evil spirits and the redshirt political group to "protect" you as you are deep in redshirt terriority there. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I think the red shirt business is a new one . . . probably of political origin, tho not sure how that would work. The traditional method of scaring away the << Thai script removed, this is the English language forum >> (phii mae maai) is to place huge phalluses, sometimes piles of them, in front of the house, so the lusty widow-maker will be distracted by those and not take the man of the house. Here's an illustsrative link from occurrences in Khon Kaen: http://www.xn--b3ct2b9a1h.com/16317/.

Edited by metisdead

I think the red shirt business is a new one . . . probably of political origin, tho not sure how that would work. The traditional method of scaring away the ผีแม่หม่าย (phii mae maai) is to place huge phalluses, sometimes piles of them, in front of the house, so the lusty widow-maker will be distracted by those and not take the man of the house. Here's an illustsrative link from occurrences in Khon Kaen: http://www.xn--b3ct2b9a1h.com/16317/.

Wherever the idea came from, it was a good one. After all, most men in Isan have red shirts!

Is this addressed to me?

Sorry, no not addressed to you, more a case of thinking aloud.

No offence taken! But there were only two posters on the thread at that time, and I was one of them!

Why are some of you so skeptical? There 're ghosts in each Isaan village! Here's what had happened in Sisaket area a few years ago, where two younger men died.

Two younger men, one on a motorbike, (was drunk like a pig) hit a tree. The other guy drove in a Pick up truck, not too far away where first accident happened on the next day, in the evening, speeding on a dirt road and crashed. ( Both came back from parties!)

The monks (holier than anybody else) decided that ghosts wanted to take their younger men away.Solution was pretty easy.

Ghosts standing in the middle of the street had caused the accidents! To avoid hitting them, they'd to crash.

The villagers had to kill all black dogs, nailed a WHITE shirt with the dog's blood on their huts. But that wasn't enough.

They also had straw puppies outside their houses saying that there wouldn't be younger men living. They put some make up on their boys and young men's faces and painted their fingernails. ( What some already do without fearing ghosts)

It worked well, the ghost read (Intelligent ones) that there's no men inside the house and when he did "go" inside. he was fooled by the Make Up ( stupid ones)

A true story about this part of the country. I believe it's true.

Useless to say that none wants to have black dogs now......w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Why are some of you so skeptical? There 're ghosts in each Isaan village! Here's what had happened in Sisaket area a few years ago, where two younger men died.

Two younger men, one on a motorbike, (was drunk like a pig) hit a tree. The other guy drove in a Pick up truck, not too far away where first accident happened on the next day, in the evening, speeding on a dirt road and crashed. ( Both came back from parties!)

The monks (holier than anybody else) decided that ghosts wanted to take their younger men away.Solution was pretty easy.

Ghosts standing in the middle of the street had caused the accidents! To avoid hitting them, they'd to crash.

The villagers had to kill all black dogs, nailed a WHITE shirt with the dog's blood on their huts. But that wasn't enough.

They also had straw puppies outside their houses saying that there wouldn't be younger men living. They put some make up on their boys and young men's faces and painted their fingernails. ( What some already do without fearing ghosts)

It worked well, the ghost read (Intelligent ones) that there's no men inside the house and when he did "go" inside. he was fooled by the Make Up ( stupid ones)

A true story about this part of the country. I believe it's true.

Useless to say that none wants to have black dogs now......w00t.gif

I have three black dogs, and four newly-born black puppies. Anyone want one? (They're toy poodle crosses.... I don't yet know how the puppies will turn out.)

We used to have the dog bus out here, thankfully not seen it for a year or 2, but was told the black ones taste better.

No one admits to eating dog, but lots get run over on the road, yet you never see a dead dog.

Road kill is OK. Jim

Dog bus? You mean the bucket truck? Alive and well out here!

We used to have the dog bus out here, thankfully not seen it for a year or 2, but was told the black ones taste better.

No one admits to eating dog, but lots get run over on the road, yet you never see a dead dog.

Road kill is OK. Jim

Dog bus? You mean the bucket truck? Alive and well out here!

]Not seen one here for a year or 2, may be that there is no way out but the single road. No shortage of dogs though, but we have had a higher presents of army road blocks because of illegal logging. Jim Edited by jamescollister

Locally, a teacher drove her car into the on coming lane and hit this teenager on a motorbike, killing him. She told the police she swerved to miss this old man that walked out in from of her. The old man "vanished". Everyone thinks it was a ghost, The teacher was not held responsible. Keep this in mind if you need a fast excuse. "there was this ghost!"

This is my thing. I descend from a long line of alpine ghost chasers, exorcists and magic-drink-mixers. Therefore, the Isaan could be my destiny.

Would I need a work permit or just plenty of Karma. ( Karma in this case: Plenty of start-up cash?)

Cheers. wink.png