Woman Executed With Single Gunshot To Head: Phuket

webfact

A disturbing example of the type of outcome that 50KTHB can buy in Phuket.

50,000 baht will buy you that type of outcome everywhere in Thailand.

But 5 times, probably!

The killer of the journalist last year in Phuket confessed a week or so ago that he had been paid 13k for the hit.

Stupid, huu? The driver of the moto said, he got 50k for the driving!

But driving anyway seems to be one of the best paid jobs, these days, on Phuket.

That's why we have so many 'Pro' drivers, now.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Monday night in Phuket town I attended an evening put on for high net worth investors. I was the only farang at the function. At my table were some corporate executives and three retired doctors who are now developing property on the island.

HiSo Thais are well aware of the problem of escalating crime and violence on the island. When I asked them why are things getting out of control, the answer I received was short and unanimous:

Russians.

On Monday night in Phuket town I attended an evening put on for high net worth investors. I was the only farang at the function. At my table were some corporate executives and three retired doctors who are now developing property on the island.

HiSo Thais are well aware of the problem of escalating crime and violence on the island. When I asked them why are things getting out of control, the answer I received was short and unanimous:

Russians.

As per usual, no-one ever takes any responsibility for anything. Always somebody else at fault. Couldn't possibly be a problem with Thais or Thai society. Oh no.... Must be them Russians. /sarcasm rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by Pomthai

Another day on the island of crime and death.

Of course, this happens at every top holiday destination in the world.

(Had to say that or this may turn into another Phuket bashing thread).

RIP poor lady.

Could be worse - you could live in New Orleans, with the highest murder rate of any city outside Latin America - with 58 murders per 100,000 population. I bet Phuket seems pretty safe compared to that.

Why aren't the US authorities doing more to clean up the murder rate? And why aren't Embassies around the world warning tourists about the high murder rate in the USA? Shocking.

The obvious reason for the high murder rate is the ease of access to firearms. About 3000 children die from gun violence in the US per year. (Murder, suicide, and accidental shootings) which is a Sandy Hook massacre every 3rd day. The only thing the NRA has on their side is the the 2nd amendment which is clearly talking about a military, which we have, and a pretty good one. To put it in perspective, when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, we had flintlock muskets which were 2M long and took 30 seconds to reload and fire a single round which was wildly inaccurate.

Another one of the reasons that the US scores so high on the murder rate is because they actually keep accurate records. Any developing country is going to publish low numbers. It has been proven that Thailand does this. The US has terrible gun policy, but excellent accounting.

• Like 1

Russians.

I don't believe it,but I do believe that Thai's here will pass the buck and blame it on everything but themselves. I bet the mayor of Patong doesn't blame the extortionate fares on the tuk tuk mafia run by his son. No it's the Russians of course.

Back on topic, almost surely this hit was not due to "Russians" nor was the triple homicide in Phangna in which Thai landowners denied access to a Thai farmer that then murdered these three guys.

Russians.

I don't believe it,but I do believe that Thai's here will pass the buck and blame it on everything but themselves. I bet the mayor of Patong doesn't blame the extortionate fares on the tuk tuk mafia run by his son. No it's the Russians of course.

Back on topic, almost surely this hit was not due to "Russians" nor was the triple homicide in Phangna in which Thai landowners denied access to a Thai farmer that then murdered these three guys.

Well, I personally hold the Russians responsible for the lack of Chang in 7/11's and Family Marts. :) :) :) :)

Russians.

cheesy.gif

Russians.

Yes they can now start to have a go on new group of foreigners.I guess blaming everything on the Burmese was getting tedious..........having the "loss-of-face" balloney around 24-7 must be exgruciating bah.gif !!!

Probably like most other people. Saw the place in a slow but consistent downward spiral of crime and violence and has decided enough is enough and will never go back.

True. I've been here nearly ten years. The consistent downward spiral of crime and violence in Phuket has crept up on me, but hopefully I see it now and it's not too late to get out.

Where to then?

Further north - maybe Khao Lak or somewhere on the east coast between here and Prachuap. Basically somewhere where the natives haven't yet got sick and tired of tourists or view them as easy targets.