Flour

just_Elaine

Just wondering if anyone has information about the all-purpose flour here....

When I had an oven, I made chocolate chip cookies and had to add flour and more flour. And I wasn't crazy about the texture so I never baked again.

The other day, I made naan (Indian flat bread) dough and had to add a lot of additional flour. It tasted pretty good just cooked in a frying pan instead of a grill, but now this flour thing has me wondering....

Thanks,

Elaine

There are several different "All Purpose Flours" available here. Each seems to have different properties.

The amount you will need of each is, to some extent, dependant on how you store the flour. The high humidity here gets into the flour and both bulks it out and increases the weight, so you either need to add less liquid to your recipe, or more flour. If you choose to add less liquid, depending on too many factors, you should start by reducing the liquid you add by about 10% and see how you go.

(I have found some flours here absorb so much from the atmosphere, in a very short time, that you sometimes need to reduce liquid by almost 20%!)

Flour storage: Whenever possible I always keep my flour in the deep-freeze and, depending on the recipe, take it out in time to allow it to reach room temperature before use. (Use sealed, zippered bags for storage.)

I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but Tops Supermarket at Airport Plaza has various types of flours from Waitrose in England. They are quite expensive, but I don't know if the quality is necessarily any better. I don't have an oven so haven't tried baking, but I do use their strong flour in my breadmaker and haven't had any problems.

Are you sifting your flour before using it? That might help "refluff" it. I've used the flour here for years and never had this problem so not quite sure what has happened, maybe your flour has been stored too long?

When I had an oven, I made chocolate chip cookies and had to add flour and more flour. And I wasn't crazy about the texture so I never baked again.

The other day, I made naan (Indian flat bread) dough and had to add a lot of additional flour. It tasted pretty good just cooked in a frying pan instead of a grill, but now this flour thing has me wondering....

Thanks,

Elaine

Have you tried using a "winter" flour, instead of all-purpose?

Thanks,

Elaine

You also might like to try a strong flour for breads.