"jazz In The City" Tonight At Nim City Daily

Greenside

Completely forgot about this last night in the excitement of the Son et Lumiere so don't know how well it was attended. The last time I went which was several years ago - it was fun and featured some student bands from Payap (I think) as well as some artists from out of town. Nim City Daily is the complex near Airport Plaza where Rimping and The Wine Connection are situated.

They've moved the stage to the recently completed and fabulous looking development at the far end of the car park which looks like it may be going to house upscale restaurants, or at least something upscale because they've spent a fortune.

• Like 1

Went Sunday. Quite a pleasant atmosphere but Jazz it was not!! Middle of the road melodic stuff and some standards eg Fly Me To The Moon, Elton John songs etc, but definitely nothing challenging to listen to!!

A bit like five years ago when they had the Kings commemoration Jazz festival featuring loads of very famous Jazz musicians from Europe and America, but with Kenny G. (not jazz!) topping the bill.

We sat and watched the classic jazz artists in a half empty venue, only to find the Thai people pouring in almost at the end to listen only to Kenny G.s well known repertoire of Elevator and Shopping Centre music, having missed a once in a lifetime opportunity to see and hear people like Georgie Fame, Chris Botti, Cassandra Wilson and Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers (NOTE, I know Art Blakey has passed, but his band continues!!).

Oh well, each to their own I suppose!!

• Like 1

I went both nights only because it was something to do and was indeed a pleasant atmosphere. Like the above post, the music was just O.K. Nothing blew me away so to speak. It was really middle of the road adult contemporary as we used to say when I worked in the business. Jazz? Not really... but an enjoyable experience just the same.

I reluctantly called down there on the Sunday evening with femme fatal and gig. I dont like jazz in any form actually, so after 10 mins out came the earphones and on came gun n roses and gary moore.

That was the cue for the girls to say ok lets go.

On the way back to the bike; was accosted by falangs trying to sell me a new house on development only to admit he was well out of his depth in how to convince me that a falang could buy a house here.

Then one of my team decided to play hoopla at some insurance stand, and unbelievably she won what i thought was an oil painting until we got home and it was a giant pop up advertsing board for AIA.

All in all, a waste of an hour of my life.

• Like 2

I reluctantly called down there on the Sunday evening with femme fatal and gig. I dont like jazz in any form actually, so after 10 mins out came the earphones and on came gun n roses and gary moore.

On the way back to the bike; was accosted by falangs trying to sell me a new house on development only to admit he was well out of his depth in how to convince me that a falang could buy a house here.

Then one of my team decided to play hoopla at some insurance stand, and unbelievably she won what i thought was an oil painting until we got home and it was a giant pop up advertsing board for AIA.

I was wondering why so many people were carrying those AIA things all packed up like an expensive work of art. They seemed to be guarding them as if they were something valuable. I guess no one knew what was inside.laugh.png

The other funny thing to see was a succession of what would be considered women of a mature age in the rest of the world ( 30+) queing excitedly to have their photos taken with what I assume was the mascot of the event, a person inside a Lions costume with a big Lions head on!!

In Europe you would struggle to get a ten year old to bother about something like that!!

Theres definitely a genetic difference here in the age at which maturity kicks in!!!

• Like 2

The other funny thing to see was a succession of what would be considered women of a mature age in the rest of the world ( 30+) queing excitedly to have their photos taken with what I assume was the mascot of the event, a person inside a Lions costume with a big Lions head on!!

In Europe you would struggle to get a ten year old to bother about something like that!!

Theres definitely a genetic difference here in the age at which maturity kicks in!!!

...........and now I am finding myself posing for photos with the 2 "v" fingers with my gf w00t.gifw00t.gif

my maturity is now regressing down to the level of my girl. If ever my mum found outsorry.gif mum!!

Cultural. Not a genetic difference in this respect; cultural.

And I know which culture I prefer, for any age.

Ah.. so that's why there was almost no parking left at Rim Ping.. Completely ridiculous, though if this was an attempt at making it impossible for customers to reach the shops then they did a truly excellent job.

Quite agree Winnie. i had to go to Rimping Sat and Sun and both days had to park half a bloody mile away from the store. I filled in a complaint form saying they were a supermarket and not a music venue and should concentrate on that, but i dont suppose anyone will have enough English to read it.

If indeed it ever does.......

• Like 1

Ah.. so that's why there was almost no parking left at Rim Ping.. Completely ridiculous, though if this was an attempt at making it impossible for customers to reach the shops then they did a truly excellent job.

Quite agree Winnie. i had to go to Rimping Sat and Sun and both days had to park half a bloody mile away from the store. I filled in a complaint form saying they were a supermarket and not a music venue and should concentrate on that, but i dont suppose anyone will have enough English to read it.

To be fair Pedr, i would have thought that anyone with a bit of savvy would have thought "it was busy yesterday, so i will go to the Rimping Ping branch" !!!!!!!

You don't like Jazz in any form so why go to a so called jazz concert 40.gif and then you wouldn't have to waste another 5 mins writing this post about it 41.gif

I don't think Rimping cared too much about the lack of parking. Both nights were real money makers for them as they were providing the main food concession as well as the wine. The first night I sat near the wine counter as there was nowhere else to sit. In 2 hours I saw them sell at least 100 bottles of wine at 333 THB per bottle. In those 2 hours perhaps 5 customers were farangs. That should dispel any myth that Thais don't drink wine. I saw many Thais buying 2 or 3 bottles at a time.

Cultural. Not a genetic difference in this respect; cultural.

And I know which culture I prefer, for any age.

Sorry, I think you re wrong.....immaturity here compared to other parts of the World is more to do with genetics. Its definitely NOT a "cultural" issue!! And as to what you prefer, as I said, each to their own, Me? I prefer women to act like women when they are 25 and above, not like some silly cutesy Barbie Doll!! Maybe I m in the wrong Country??!!

To be fair Pedr, i would have thought that anyone with a bit of savvy would have thought "it was busy yesterday, so i will go to the Rimping Ping branch" !!!!!!!

Especially when it's much closer to the pub.

wink.png

You don't like Jazz in any form so why go to a so called jazz concert 40.gif and then you wouldn't have to waste another 5 mins writing this post about it 41.gif

sometimes you have to do things to please others............exactly like when my g/f "isn't in the mood" but she feels she has an obligation to please me

sometimes you have to do things to please others............exactly like when my g/f "isn't in the mood" but she feels she has an obligation to please me

"Femme FATAL" !!!! Did you really mean that or the more often used "fatale" !! I think they have worryingly different implications that would worry me!!!

Fair enough, so what was the point of your post 39.gif apart from telling us that you do as your told 17.gif

Fair enough, so what was the point of your post 39.gif apart from telling us that you do as your told 17.gif

I'm not offended by what you say. I'm just glad that you're stringing words into sentences now

I'm not offended by what you say. I'm just glad that you're stringing words into sentences now

Why would you be offended when i was just asking you a simple question 40.gif