Is A Live Linux Cd On My Own Computer Secure At An Internet Cafe?

quadricorrelator

Is it secure to use my own laptop with a Live Linux CD at an Internet cafe (going through a cable to my computer, not wireless)?

My future apartment will have only public wifi and I don't think that is secure.

I thought I might use my True air card, but they tell me it does not support Linux.

Are there any other possibilities with a Live Linux CD?

(I wanted to use a Live Linux CD because I thought it would have a lower chance of containing malware. Is that correct?)

The problem with the Icafe is they serve the internet to you and can have loggers or any number of means. I avoid the use of wireless connection but my own which is secure. Your true air card out of the box state that it is win and mac but I am posting from one like that right now that I use in both linux and windows. Most if they don't work in linux automaticly can work with a twik, but you can be secure with your windows via your own air card for banking etc it is using https and don't keep any passwords on the PC. It is your browser that is likey to give you up online as far as things like that i.e. the resent java expolit. If you just want to be private you can use a vpn or tor.

The problem with the Icafe is they serve the internet to you and can have loggers or any number of means. I avoid the use of wireless connection but my own which is secure. Your true air card out of the box state that it is win and mac but I am posting from one like that right now that I use in boout th linux and windows. Most if they don't work in linux automaticly can work with a twik, but you can be secure with your windows via your own air card for banking etc it is using https and don't keep any passwords on the PC. It is your browser that is likey to give you up online as far as things like that i.e. the resent java expolit. If you just want to be private you can use a vpn or tor.

How can I find out how to get my air card working with Linux? (I think this is the best way for me).

Just try it once the cd is booted up disconnect the eth0 and request the 3g from the network manager. Distribution can vary so contact the forum for the distribution of linux you are using. A search of that forum will maybe produce a step by step for you.

I think most of the aircards are supported by up to date linux distributions. Select one, which is updated frequently (*ubuntu, mint.. ).

True etc doesn't say that that their aircards can work on linux as they don't know or they have not tested it.

You can also use aircard - wifi devices in your home. For example I have D-link DWR-112 at my home. The device connects to the CAT 3G and then shares the connection to my home via wifi.

DWR-112: http://www.dlink.co.th/products/?idproduct=500&idCategory=178

Supported devices: http://www.dlink.co.th/support/Support_download.asp?idsupport=1153

Another solution to use mobile data is thetering on your phone. Current Android versions support both usb and wifi tethering to share the connection to the laptop.

For quick umounting of the thump drive (automatic switching from thumdrive to the GSM modem), you can use usb_modeswitch, which I think comes with ubuntu default installation.

Edited by Guest

I have Mepis Linux 11 loaded on my laptop and use an AIS aircard. There is linux software that will run those aircards but depends on your type/version. At worst depending on the speed of your system, all of them that I have tried will run in Virtual Box loaded with windows xp and talk to the Linux side fine. (enable networking in the "Box")

I don't know why you feel the need to run off a CD, malware on a linux system is pretty rare, most of the stuff is written for windows.

Keyboard loggers won't work on linux & linux / windows Virtual Box setup, in order to scan your data connection to the net the hacker would actually need to monitor your connection between your computer and the wifi node, which just aint worth the hassle, though it is possible.

Just a thought Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

What hardware is the aircard? Brand / Model ?

I was told by AIS that their aircard did not work on linux.

It worked direct with Ubuntu (after unmounting the thumbdrive)

yes i've had my AIS aircard working on puppylinux version slacko. there is help at the user forum that tells you how. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80012

apn internet and dial number *99***1#

anyhow what i came to this thread was for its tor mention came up in search.

using tor i am unable to connect to freenode chat and am unable to create an account at thaivisa, anyone else confirm this?

plus i wouldnt use tor for banking. i have used cable tethered ais phone in puppylinux for years now. usb cable phone tethering is significantly easier than using usb aircard.

Edited by feest monty

• 1 month later...