Looking For A Place In Ko Lanta For 1 Month

Karen Sargent

Hello

We are arriving in Ko Lanta on the 11th February and are looking to rent a place for 1 month at least - possibly 2 months.

We're finding it very hard to find anything that fits our budget - 30,000 baht per month.

Could you please give me some recommendations where to look - I've spent hours online with no luck.

Thanks

Karen

Are you already committed to Koh Lanta? I ask because i went there for a week a couple of years ago and found it pretty underwhelming. 1 or 2 months seems an overkill.

As far as accommodation is concerned, for 1000 baht a day you are looking at budget accommodation, which really doesn't require booking - in fact, i would suggest much better not to. What i would do is just decide which part of the island you want to stay at, somewhere where there are quite a few resorts bunched together obviously, and then when you arrive, go around on foot and see what looks good. If you book somewhere for a month you might be committing yourself to somewhere you don't like, and that can be frustrating when you find out the next resort along would of been perfect.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call 30,000 bht a month budget accommodation , if your looking at resorts and just taking there day rate then yes ,but I would imagine there are some pretty nice private places available by the month for that price,as poster above says if you can't find anything online just book a few nights somewhere then go looking round the island for apartments/houses.

Most resort places would chop there daily rates in half if you committed to a 2 month stay.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the tips and ideas.

We would much rather rent an apartment as we're going to be working during the day. However if that doesnt work out it seems that getting there and walking around might be our best option.

Rixalex - I've already been to Lanta and must admit I loved the beaches but found it a bit too quiet. I was hoping that if we stayed next to Long Beach area there would be a bit more ambience. We're not into loud bars or parties though so I'm hoping long beach isn't like that. Where would you recommend for decent accommodation, some life but thats not too touristy?

Thanks again

I wouldn't call 30,000 bht a month budget accommodation , if your looking at resorts and just taking there day rate then yes ,but I would imagine there are some pretty nice private places available by the month for that price,as poster above says if you can't find anything online just book a few nights somewhere then go looking round the island for apartments/houses.

Most resort places would chop there daily rates in half if you committed to a 2 month stay.

In my experience decent resorts don't really seem interested in the long term discount thing too much - not the half decent ones anyway, as i guess they are guaranteed something close to complete occupancy whether you stay there or not. Tends to be more the apartment for rent type accommodation and the budget backpacker type places that you can barter down.

Sorry Karen, i can't give you anything more than general advice. Hopefully a Koh Lanta resident might be able to give more specific recommendations. Hope you have a nice time.

^

kind of agree with you rivalex does depend on how busy the places are at the time though i live krabi not lanta but around ao nang krabi there are some really nice places only 1-2 years old that rent for 10-15 thousand bht month so 30,000 is a pretty big budget if looking for house/apartment,the places in ao nang even have swimming pool shared between 8-10 houses/bungalows

Lanta like so many other places are not well connected online with offering accommodation for 1 month. If you want to live in old town you can get a house for a fraction of 30k, more like 10-15k. If you want to stay on western side prices rise, but there is plenty of places to stay and for a fraction of 30k a month depending on the quality. I stayed on khlong nin and got a room for 7k a month 1500 a month for a bike. (1 month they might ask 8 or 9k), electricity included, aic con, small fridge, and free wifi. It was basic but 30 meters from the beach and on the 2nd floor with a nice view of the sea. pm me and I might have some friends that live on the island that can help you out or point you in the right direction. Feb is still high season and this year I have seen a change in demographics of people visiting and a jump in prices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Karen, did you end up finding a place in Lanta?

I'm hoping to stay in Kantiang Bay for around 5 weeks in January/February of 2014 and getting quoted at least 45,000 baht per month for "modern villas" (more like clean little 1/2 bedroom houses).

My biggest concern is avoiding a place with roaches!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested, been living on Koh Pha Ngan for some time and might be interested in staying a few months on Lanta for a change, but it seems pricier? I can find a decent place for ~8,000 baht/month on Pha Ngan, bike rent 3,000 / month and wouldn't want to pay a lot more than that. Maybe around 10,000, 12,000 tops if the place is good.

Also what's the electricity/broadband situation, here on Pha Ngan rainfall tends to kill both for half an hour / an hour every so often, sometimes several hours a day. Would be cool if it was more stable on Lanta.