Night Shots, Outdoor In Thailand

Kan Win

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

geeezzz ... ok dumb question ... what mode and settings do u guys use to get such great shots ??

my night time photos suck even more than my day time photos !!

Nighttime shots are best shot at the "Blue Period" i.e. just before it actually gets to be a black sky there is a window of light that produces a deep blue background or retains detail is the background as in the River Kwai image.

Both my images shot on a tripod at f5.6 and 100 ISO and 4 secs and 1.6 secs respectively

Hope this helps

its great, because the golden hour where the sunset/dusk light gets that warm glow, quickly gives way to that blue period

It seems Kan Win and I were at the Kanchanaburi light and sound festival at the same time!

Hi 'fimgirl',

It was in 2009. I live up river from this Famous Bridge, hence I was seated up-river.

Did you get the Steam Train and all the fireworks shot as well? I did as I know were they are came from

large.jpg

Olympus E-3

0.77s f/2.8 at 14.0mm iso500

Thank you all for helping out folks, wai.gif keep them coming.thumbsup.gif

Win w00t.gif

Don Chedi Monument

This is located at Amphoe Don Chedi, 31 kilometres

from the township area. The pagoda was constructed by the Royal Command of King

Naresuan the Great to commemorate his victory against King Maha Uparacha of

Burma in single-handed elephant back combat in 1592. A cast statue of King

Naresuan the Great mounting the elephant's neck was placed in front of the

pagoda.

Don Chedi Memorial - annual fair

This annual fair is held for 10 days to commemorate the historic event at Don Chedi in 1592 that led to the liberation of the kingdom from foreign occupation. The celebration commences on the 18th of January 2008, as 18th of January is regarded as the Royal Thai Armed Forces Day, with historical exhibitions and outdoor entertainment until 1st of February 2008.

Activities include a light and sound show of the elephant fight, a fair of both government and private

organizations, and other stage performances.

2012 up-date

Thai Armed Forces Day marked to Commemorate the Greatest Victory by King Naresuan the Great.

January 18 is marked as the Armed Forces Day in Thailand, commemorating the most glorious battle on elephant back with King Naresuan the Great emerging the proud victor in 1592.

The day was originally marked on January 25 by virtue of an announcement of the Prime Minister’s Office dated 13 June 1980, designating the day as the Armed Forces Day and the founding anniversary of the Ministry of Defense. Several historians later disputed the theory, reasoning that the day of King Naresuan the Great’s battle on elephant back was in fact on 18 January 1532. The argument was accepted and another announcement of the Prime Minister’s Office was issued on 23 August 2006, changing the commemorative day to January 18.

King Naresuan was undoubtedly the greatest warrior the Thai Kingdom had ever known, and the battle on elephant back was regarded as the most glorious royal battle in the days of hand-to-hand fighting.

As a young prince, Naresuan or Naret was taken as hostage at the court of King Bayinnuang of Burma who appointed his father King Thammaraja of the vassal state of Ayutthaya. The Prince grew up in Burma and became well acquainted with Burmese ways. When he was 16 years old, King Thammaraja ,asked that his son be returned to Siam. He was appointed the Governor of Phitsanulok, the former position of his father. King Bayinnuang died in 1581 and was succeeded by his son Nandabayin. At the new king’s coronation,

Prince Naresuan attended as representative of Ayutthaya. During this visit, he showed his war skills in putting down a revolt against Pegu at Moung Kang which stirred jealousy and suspicion from King Nandabayin and his son, the Crown Prince.

At another push against the Mons in Ava in 1584, King Nandabayin secretly arranged for Prince Naresuan’s army to be attacked from the rear and the Prince killed. However, the Mon people were more sympathetic towards Prince Naresuan, and forewarned him of King Nandabayin's assassination plot. The Prince called his army and the townsfolk together and, before them, swore at the Mon town of Muong Krang that he would no longer serve under the Burmese and declared

independence for the Kingdom of Ayutthaya. He then marched on Pegu and freed the Thai people who had been held hostage before setting off for Ayutthaya, with over 10,000 Thais, with Burmese Crown Prince's army in close pursuit. Prince Naresuan managed to cross the Sittaung River before the Crown Prince's forces arrived on the far bank. He sighted the commanding general across the river and drew his long-gun and fired. The Burmese Commanding General fell dead where upon the Burmese troops gave up the chase and retreated back to Pegu. Prince Naresuan, with his freed Thais, returned safely to Ayutthaya.

During the Burmese King Nandabayin’s reign, huge Burmese armies advanced five times on Ayutthaya and were all repelled by Prince Naresuan’s forces. In 1590, King Thammaraja died

and the Prince ascended the throne as King Naresuan.

In the fifth Burmese advance on Ayutthaya, King Naresuan and his younger brother Prince

Ekatosrost, went out to counter the Burmese at Nongsarai with a small, expeditionary force sent to engage the enemy and lure them into the trap where King Naresuan and his army laid waiting. King Naresuan immediately challenged the Burmese Crown Prince to a fight on elephant back. He cut down the opponent with his long weapon.

A large pagoda was built during King Naresuan's lifetime to commemorate this glorious battle which deterred the Burmese invasions for years and years. It lay abandoned until 1913 when it was rediscovered by the great historian, Prince Damrong Rajanubhab. The pagoda was

reconstructed in 1952, with a statue of King Naresuan on his elephant cast by Professor Silpa Birasri added in 1959. The area was originally part of Si Prachan district. It was established as a sub-district in 1962, consisting of the two tambon Don Chedi and Nong Sarai and was upgraded to a full district in 1965.

Apart from the functions marking the Armed Forces Day, the Don Chedi Fair takes place at the site every year, with a reenactment of the famous elephant battle that took place four centuries ago.

large.jpg

Olympus E-3

1/2s f/2.8 at 14.0mm iso800

Win wai.gif

As part of the celebrations for H.M The King’s 84th birthday (December 2011), the Royal Household Bureau opened up the Grand Palace at night from 6.00pm until midnight for 5 nights. This was the first and only time that the general public have ever been allowed into the palace at night.

7606285812_eed695148f_c.jpg

It seems Kan Win and I were at the Kanchanaburi light and sound festival at the same time!

Hi 'fimgirl',

It was in 2009. I live up river from this Famous Bridge, hence I was seated up-river.

Did you get the Steam Train and all the fireworks shot as well? I did as I know were they are came from

large.jpg

Olympus E-3

0.77s f/2.8 at 14.0mm iso500

Thank you all for helping out folks, wai.gif keep them coming.thumbsup.gif

Win w00t.gif

Came in at 1# in a resent Challenge

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=8001

Win whistling.gif

Thank you very much for your comments Chao Lao Beach wai.gif

Now back to the topic at hand.

My own best photo's are these two taken in 2007 at this Famous Bridge, from a floating raft

large.jpg

Date/Time 07-Dec-2007 20:31:15 Make Olympus Model C8080WZ Flash Used No Focal Length 7.4 mm Exposure Time 1.00 sec Aperture f/2.4 ISO Equivalent 50

Win w00t.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Using the flash to fill in, will probably shorten the overall exposure

and hence reduce the glare of the street lights.

Alternatively try re-framing the shot to get the street lights

out of the frame.

You have to experiment

At least with digital cameras you can see the result immediately,

then decide if a second shot is needed.

Using the flash to fill in, will probably shorten the overall exposure

and hence reduce the glare of the street lights.

Alternatively try re-framing the shot to get the street lights

out of the frame.

You have to experiment

At least with digital cameras you can see the result immediately,

then decide if a second shot is needed.

Thank you. I will remember.

Right, flash would not have been appropriate there.

Was that the only shot?

I guess f2.8 is the maximum aperture?.

How did you arrive at the time?

As you are in a learning phase it pays to try different combinations,

perhaps f4 with 7 and then 10 sec.

It is all digital now, so no film wasted

If it is possible, a cable release is good for shots like this,

to avoid any extra camera shake

Right, flash would not have been appropriate there.

Was that the only shot?

I guess f2.8 is the maximum aperture?.

How did you arrive at the time?

As you are in a learning phase it pays to try different combinations,

perhaps f4 with 7 and then 10 sec.

It is all digital now, so no film wasted

If it is possible, a cable release is good for shots like this,

to avoid any extra camera shake

Very helpfull, astral! Thank you very much.

Here is the other 1 just trying out the extremes indeed 4.0 thumbsup.gif

post-70928-0-01718300-1364546032_thumb.j

No Flash Used Focal Length 11.0 mm Exposure Time 1/5 sec mounted on a bench Aperture f/4.0 ISO Equivalent 1250

Phetchabun town promenade @ night

attachicon.gifIMG_2789 (1000 x 750).jpg

No Flash Used Focal Length 5.0 mm Exposure Time 10.00 sec mounted on a bench Aperture f/2.8 ISO Equivalent 80

Not bad DAL...... wink.png are you using a tripod ?

Nope, just using knowledge i gathered here from you, Kanwin, Astral, Oilinky, FracturedRabbit and Neversure amongst others.

whistling.gif . Really, here today i just mounted the cam on a bridge while smokin'...

post-70928-0-66645200-1364567581_thumb.j

No Flash Focal Length 5.0 mm Exposure Time 1/3 sec mounted on a bridge Aperture f/2.0 ISO Equivalent 320

Archived