Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

The burritos you are talking about are as much authentic Mexican as Taco Bell...not that they aren't tasty. They are American-Mexican, though.

. Are you talking Sunrise or Tapatio, you used to never get Burritos in Mexico, it's an American inspired , a Mexican Chef told me they didn't have Flour Tortiltia, my fave in SF was La Cumbre, they were one of the First, I knew the family Durran' s, El Faro claims to be The First, on Folsom, they have newspaper columns on the Wall about the story, can't compare , Taco Bell in same sentence .

, Tapatio used to make the chips for all the restaurants in SF and S. city, now the Sanchez Family has that market, I know Roberto Sanchez.

Edited by Dannyboy666

You could start by googling "American cuisine".

It is actually made up if many regional cuisines, which isn't surprising for such a big and diverse place.

Have you ever had New England clam chowder? Maryland crab cakes? New Orleans gumbo? Texas bar-b-que? Cincinnati chili? Cal-Mex / Tex-Mex? Pumpkin pie? Pecan pie? Blackened redfish? Crawfish etoufee? Navajo flatbread? San Francisco cioppino?

You could spend months exploring American cuisine.

You could start by googling "American cuisine".

It is actually made up if many regional cuisines, which isn't surprising for such a big and diverse place.

Have you ever had New England clam chowder? Maryland crab cakes? New Orleans gumbo? Texas bar-b-que? Cincinnati chili? Cal-Mex / Tex-Mex? Pumpkin pie? Pecan pie? Blackened redfish? Crawfish etoufee? Navajo flatbread? San Francisco cioppino?

You could spend months exploring American cuisine.

They are all variations of immigrant food minus the flatbread. But making a bread flat or not is not a claim to a cuisine

Oh please.
What would Thai food be without chilies from the Americas.

What would Italian food be without tomatoes from the Americas.

What would Portuguese food be without Massachusetts Cod.

What would Irish food be without potatoes from the Americas.

What national cuisines does NOT have foreign influences?

Oh please.

Understood but the cuisines of those countries existed before the introduction of those ingredients.

Taking a dish from another country and adding a couple of ingredients doesn't mean you can stake a claim to a cuisine.

Oh please.

Still Thai food.

Tomatoes are used a lot in new Italian food but there are thousands of Italian dishes without it. Take your mind out of American/Italian.

Potugese favour sardines and makeral over cod traditionally.

I'm Irish/English and before potatoes we used meat broths with suet.

Well, my opinion is that American cuisine is mostly about REGIONAL American cuisine.

I've lived in most U.S. regions except the Northwest and the food culture is different in each region.

I don't see the point of getting all anal about whether there is literally an American cuisine or not.

Of course there are literally thousands of foreign influences in American food.

And that's the beauty of it, dudes! clap2.gif

That's because bottom line the USA is one of top places to enjoy food on the planet.

When I visit the large U.S. city that I associate with now, there are large modern Asian markets that surpass anything I have ever seen anywhere in Thailand for ASIAN ingredients!
Trust me, I'm not a USA NUMBER ONE in everything kind of American bogan dude by a long shot.

It's far from number one in lots of things and is number one or close in some really bad things, like guns and incarceration rates.

But as far as food, of course number one doesn't mean anything, but it's definitely WORLD CLASS.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

( In Canada I get ) Shreddies cereal with no sugar, protein powder with no cholesterol or sugar, skim-free milk with no cholesterol, oxygenated water that is alkaline (acidic water is a partial cause of many chronic illnesses), egg whites in bulk ( $1.50 USD a dozen), plain unsweetened yogurt - never see any of this in Phuket, where I stay 3 months a year - maybe they have some of that stuff at Makro now..I'll check in February when I return..

Well, my opinion is that American cuisine is mostly about REGIONAL American cuisine.

I've lived in most U.S. regions except the Northwest and the food culture is different in each region.

I don't see the point of getting all anal about whether there is literally an American cuisine or not.

That's because bottom line the USA is one of top places to enjoy food on the planet.

When I visit the large U.S. city that I associate with now, there are large modern Asian markets that surpass anything I have ever seen anywhere in Thailand for ASIAN ingredients!

Trust me, I'm not a USA NUMBER ONE in everything kind of American bogan dude by a long shot.

It's far from number one in lots of things and is number one or close in some really bad things, like guns and incarceration rates.

But as far as food, of course number one doesn't mean anything, but it's definitely WORLD CLASS.

I agree the food is world class. I just belive the US has no claim to a cuisine.

Excellent fusion food. Obviously we could argue about the origins of all food down to their geographic regions but the US and Australia being new countries don't have much influence from their native inhabitants in their "cuisines".

I do agree that they do a fantastic job of of repersenting and infusing cuisines

I agree the food is world class. I just belive the US has no claim to a cuisine.

Excellent fusion food. Obviously we could argue about the origins of all food down to their geographic regions but the US and Australia being new countries don't have much influence from their native inhabitants in their "cuisine's".

I do agree that they do a fantastic job of of representing and infusing cuisine's

I'm not really buying it.

A California burrito isn't fusion cuisine.

Fusion cuisine is fancy schmancy poseur stuff.

A California burrito is an authentic ROOTED food from the California region, a land that used to be Mexico anyway. [

Again you have taken a burrito ( a Mexican invention) removed refried beans and added some other things.

Can I take a pizza and put krakow moo gop on it and claim its Thai food?

A California burrito is an authentic ROOTED food from the California region, a land that used to be Mexico anyway. [

Again you have taken a burrito ( a Mexican invention) removed refried beans and added some other things.

You obviously don't know from burritos.

Think what you like.

Anyway ...

if it tastes good, EAT IT!

But not too much.

(See the I'm Too Fat forum for details.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You obviously don't know from burritos.

Think what you like.

Anyway ...

if it tastes good, EAT IT!

But not too much.

(See the I'm Too Fat forum for details.)[/qchi

555 know what you mean. For the record my step mum is from chihuahua. I have had a few burritos.

I more of a fajita man. Gotta love Mexican food though, salsa and guacamole.

Women are lovely too until the diet gets the better of them ;)

Google the history of Burritos, they say started in N. Mexico , The Super Burrito was invented at El Faros in SFrancisco on Folsom st. Look on wiki and the story of burrito...

Of course but the original very basic Northern Mexican burritos are massively different than the S.F. burrito.

Google the history of Burritos, they say started in N. Mexico , The Super Burrito was invented at El Faros in SFrancisco on Folsom st. Look on wiki and the story of burrito...

Of course but the original very basic Northern Mexican burritos are massively different than the S.F. burrito.
. I wonder if La Cumbre was more oringinal to the northern Mexico version, very simple, meat , cheese beans and rice, but maybe rice came later, no guacamole, SCream or salsa

Does America have a dish that could be classed as American.

Got it.

Corn Flakes..

Pure ignorance.

Hushpuppies, grits, buttermilk biscuits, Brunswick stew, Boston chowder, cornbread, Smithfield hams, keylime pie...I could go on for pages.

and Philly cheesesteaks, ice cream sundaes and cones...

Cajun food, creole food, soul food, southern bar-b-que, chili con carne (NOT remotely Mexican), hoagies/grinders/po' boys, the great American breakfast with pancakes, waffles, steak and eggs, grits, and biscuits, Manhattan clam chowder, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, red velvet cake, s'mores, mud pie, chicken fried steak, collard greens and black-eyed peas, smothered oxtails, the good ol' cheeseburger, milkshakes, apple pie à la mode, the club sandwich, Reuben, french dip, and monte cristo...hungry yet?

A California burrito is an authentic ROOTED food from the California region, a land that used to be Mexico anyway.

I have never had a burrito without refried beans and certainly not on Mission street. Are you sure that you know what a burrito is? blink.png

It is common with Mission district style burritos to "build your own" burrito and there is often a choice of beans -- refried, whole pinto, or even black with is very Cali. I recall some places even offer refried with lard or not as choices as well. There are pretty much always beans. The classic El Cumbre standard is with whole pintos.