Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

I was living on a 2000 acre cattle ranch in Northern California and the cattle chute (oops) was about 25 meters from my kitchen. However, it did take them an hour 2 to do all the calves.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Really miss San Francisco sourdough French bread. In years past before living here I would always fly in with a few loaves, but now haven't seen it for over a year (in Chiang Mai).

If one is flying in and intends to handcarry it, recommend you not buy the lousy stuff at the airport but a quality brand from a grocery store which would be freshly baked that morning, then wrap it airtight.

How about fresh tomatoes with real home grown taste? Not like the red cardboard varieties found in most American Supermarkets ... I'm speaking of the American home grown varieties with a real tangy and flavorful taste.

Any comments on tomatoes ?

Yes, very nice tomatoes available at many markets and farmers markets back home. And you can grow your own too.. Attached a pic of tomatoes from the garden summer before last.

These tomatoes in the photo were "back home' not in Thailand...What about the tomatoes in Thailand? Any that you consider to be as good as the ones in the photos?

No, but I think I might be spoiled... I think that there might be a cherry tomato that has pretty good flavor here.

How about fresh tomatoes with real home grown taste? Not like the red cardboard varieties found in most American Supermarkets ... I'm speaking of the American home grown varieties with a real tangy and flavorful taste.

Any comments on tomatoes ?

Yes, very nice tomatoes available at many markets and farmers markets back home. And you can grow your own too.. Attached a pic of tomatoes from the garden summer before last.

These tomatoes in the photo were "back home' not in Thailand...What about the tomatoes in Thailand? Any that you consider to be as good as the ones in the photos?

No, but I think I might be spoiled... I think that there might be a cherry tomato that has pretty good flavor here.

I'm a tomato lover and they really depend on the growing season here. Much of the year they are expensive and bad. In season, they are plentiful and fairly cheap, and it is true that the cherry tomatoes are the most tasty. I suspect they grow better in the climate or something.

*another thing to watch for, on the cheaper tomatoes, they often use food coloring, so not too natural.

Edited by keemapoot

In 'n Out burger is the most overrated fast food burger in the US, in my humble opinion.

I think Five Guys, Fatburger, and Fuddruckers are all better.

<drooling> Five Guys...I'll see you in June!

Along with proper pizza, steamed clams and Maine lobster, prime rib and thick juicy TENDER steaks, American Chinese food, cheese steaks and other subs, veal, Goods potato chips (blue bag, not red), Mexican food, Mt. Dew, filling and stuffing, and shoot me, but real Pizza Hut breadsticks w/ tomato sauce to dip them in! Oh, also blueberries, peaches, raspberries, strawberries and all the delicious confections that can be made with them!

I wonder where this guy is living that he lists ice, free ketchup packets, and popcorn? What countries charge for ketchup at fast food? And isn't popcorn and ice everywhere?

For the rest

Couldn't care less about breakfast cereal. It seems to have decent availability in Thailand though.

Chilli fries are amazing and it's a shame they can't be bought from street stalls. You can buy chilli at Foodland/Villa though, so easy to add to some McDonalds fries for a quick fix.

Root beer is sold in 7-11. They even have a decent number of A&W restaurants here where you can get root beer floats.

You can decent hamburgers, from greasepit style to gourmet, in Bangkok and tourist areas. It is grim most other places though.

Bagels. Yeah, these are missed.

There are decent pizza options in Bangkok and some other big cities and tourist areas. Pizza Company can suffice everywhere else.

Mexican of course is the big one that all Americans I meet here seem to miss. Options have improved a lot in Bangkok, but they are still few in number and way overpriced.

Was charged for ketchup in Ireland after buying chips

How about cinnamon toothpicks? Not food, but good.

We used to sell them in elementary school - they were considered contraband.I haven't seen or heard about them in 50 years.

haha, me too, but still selling well I guess: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B0007OPW5C

*also, may be junk breakfast, but if you're in a hurry, I miss those breakfast burritos at 7-11.

Edited by keemapoot

In 'n Out burger is the most overrated fast food burger in the US, in my humble opinion.

Fuddruckers is great, wonderful burgers and thick chocolate malts

Used to miss many things, but after being here 5+ years, have most everything no. Villa has DR P and Mt Dew at times as well as US bacon and hot dogs, + most any American type cheese, provolone and Swiss, good for sandwiches and often some cheese (from USA) available at Makro, OK for cheeseburgers; Villa has corn syrup, so pecan pie available anytime with an oven. Decent cornmeal from Dons, will send by bus or post to you, rest easy to find. I get beef from Thai French, but AT the head butcher shop, so I see it first, good for prime rib, hamburgers, roast beef, etc. Only thing I miss much is a real good spirial sliced, or proper dry cured ham. That I'd pay extra for. And I'm way out by Mukdahan, so yea can find most everything. Mexican...just make it yourself is what I do. Can even make soft or hard tacos.

Only problem I have with food here is being overweight!

post-62801-0-63955700-1359300007_thumb.j

Keemapoot posted:

I'm a tomato lover and they really depend on the growing season here. Much of the year they are expensive and bad. In season, they are plentiful and fairly cheap, and it is true that the cherry tomatoes are the most tasty. I suspect they grow better in the climate or something.

*another thing to watch for, on the cheaper tomatoes, they often use food coloring, so not too natural.

In the States, many if not most commercially grown tomatoes are picked while green and hard ... then put into a ethylene gas filled pressure chamber to turn them red... hard tomatoes ship better - less loss... and they taste like red cardboard. Home Grown in the only way ...

I've ate quite A bit of cheese in thailand.I do miss cracker barrel cheese extra sharp.

Also the swiss cheese doesn't seem to good.

Cracker Barrel cheese available in Villa markets and a large selection of swiss and any others as we

I wonder where this guy is living that he lists ice, free ketchup packets, and popcorn? What countries charge for ketchup at fast food? And isn't popcorn and ice everywhere?

For the rest

Couldn't care less about breakfast cereal. It seems to have decent availability in Thailand though.

Chilli fries are amazing and it's a shame they can't be bought from street stalls. You can buy chilli at Foodland/Villa though, so easy to add to some McDonalds fries for a quick fix.

Root beer is sold in 7-11. They even have a decent number of A&W restaurants here where you can get root beer floats.

You can decent hamburgers, from greasepit style to gourmet, in Bangkok and tourist areas. It is grim most other places though.

Bagels. Yeah, these are missed.

There are decent pizza options in Bangkok and some other big cities and tourist areas. Pizza Company can suffice everywhere else.

Mexican of course is the big one that all Americans I meet here seem to miss. Options have improved a lot in Bangkok, but they are still few in number and way overpriced.

Was charged for ketchup in Ireland after buying chips

i think it is an excellent policy, very time i order pizza or fast food i throw away about 5-10 packs of the stuff, even if i specify that i don't want it.

Staff might be less inclined to throw it in a bag by the hand full and customers would need to proactively request it.

in restaurant it should be free, but out of a pump.

the amount of plastic waste saved on the packaging, let alone discarded product saved, would be significant

Pizza,

grinders (cold cuts),

subs (hot: meatball/sausage parm),

bagels/bread/baguettes,

cheese,

burritos/tacos,

rib-eyes,

5-Guys,

home-brewed ale,

real BBQ (pulled pork sandwich/brisket/pork ribs)

Honorable (seasonal) mention: Fried bivalves at The Clam Box in Ipswich.

I go back every 60 days so am able to get my fill.

Edited by lomatopo

"Honorable (seasonal) mention: Fried bivalves at The Clam Box in Ipswich."

OMG! Couldn't agree more (although Farnham's are wicked good, too!!)... and maybe a stop at Woodman's later for some lobsters & steamers!?!? Next day: a Fisherman's platter at Land N' Sea, Lynn?? After that: Lobster bisque & clam chowdah at Seawitch, Peabody? Lobster rolls & crab rolls at Cherry St. fish market, Danvers?? And, wash it all down with some fresh squeezed lemonade! OMG!

Every 60 days, huh? Any chance of a doggie bag...?

post-72929-0-22082300-1359426053_thumb.j

post-72929-0-46178200-1359426062_thumb.j

post-72929-0-17874500-1359426118_thumb.j

post-72929-0-96288300-1359426228_thumb.j

post-72929-0-28000000-1359426388_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

Ho Ho's, Ring Dings, Crunchy Cheetos, Diamond Dogs, Prairie Oysters, Reese's PB Cups, Krispy Kreem Do-nut Holes, Hormel Chili (no beans), Caramelized Peanuts, Bacon-flavored Ice Cream, Blue Corn Tortillas, Goats-Head Cheese, Mogen David 20-20....

The list has no end tongue.png

• Like 1

please for the love of God tell me what makes it overrated.

Every in n out is busy at all times which is a testament to the quality (meat never frozen, potatoes peeled in front of you..etc). The price is right 120 - 250 baht for a burger, fries and drink. The employees make 14$-35$ per hour and are treated very well. is it weird i just got worked up over a fast food joint...

I miss Foster Farms corn dogs

I miss Quakers Granola that isn't 10 dollars

I miss Sees Peanut Brittle

I miss Crystal Farms Egg Nog

Edited by kblaze

I haven't mentioned this yet because I don't really care, but my ORIGINAL intention, clearly not communicated well enough in the OP, was for people to react to the specific 10 items in the news article list. coffee1.gif

But what happened is probably more interesting, even if it has been done before.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I haven't mentioned this yet because I don't really care, but my ORIGINAL intention, clearly not communicated well enough in the OP, was for people to react to the specific 10 items in the news article list. coffee1.gif

But what happened is probably more interesting, even if it has been done before.

I got to say, calling ice, and soda, and ketchup packets a food just shows what stupid answers (or is it people) you get when you ask such questions. And popcorn? borderline food. Soda is not a food, unless you want to call water a food (well, ok, the frozen water people have spoken!)

Chili cheese fries? Fat on Fat - yummy! Are we calling potatoes a vegetable instead of a starch now? The idiot kids we raise now think so - just check their school lunches.

That leaves pizza, burgers, bagels, breakfast cereal and mexican food. OK, good pizza, burgers, and mexican are missed. bagels too! Breakfast cereal - too much sugar, to little nutrition, not a breakfast that sticks with you (fill it up with some fruit, and an egg or two, some juice and coffee - now you're talking - leave out the cereal and you still have a good breakfast).