Top 10 Foods That Americans Miss While Abroad

Jingthing

No Americans missing great lasagne?

That is number one on my wish list for Thailand.....can get a great one in Siem Reap though! smile.png

It's been awhile but Dukes in Chiang Mai worked for me. I agree though. Italian-American style lasagna (with ricotta cheese) is the way to go. Mention that idea to a "real" Italian and they plotz, but that's their loss. Bechamel sauce lasagna? Gag me with a Spaniard!

No Italian-American style lasagna in Pattaya that I know of ...

I find it weird. It's a missed business opportunity niche.

Edited by Jingthing

I've ate quite A bit of cheese in thailand.I do miss cracker barrel cheese extra sharp.

Also the swiss cheese doesn't seem to good.

Cracker Barrel cheese available in Villa markets and a large selection of swiss and any others as we

Maybe not for long....just read Kraft is suing cracker barrel to stop them from selling cracker barrel products outside of their restaurants.

I got to say, calling ice, and soda, and ketchup packets a food just shows what stupid answers (or is it people) you get when you ask such questions. And popcorn? borderline food. Soda is not a food, unless you want to call water a food (well, ok, the frozen water people have spoken!)

Chili cheese fries? Fat on Fat - yummy! Are we calling potatoes a vegetable instead of a starch now? The idiot kids we raise now think so - just check their school lunches.

That leaves pizza, burgers, bagels, breakfast cereal and mexican food. OK, good pizza, burgers, and mexican are missed. bagels too! Breakfast cereal - too much sugar, to little nutrition, not a breakfast that sticks with you (fill it up with some fruit, and an egg or two, some juice and coffee - now you're talking - leave out the cereal and you still have a good breakfast).

Wrong. Popcorn is food. Soda is food and potatoes are vegetables, but you are right about the stupid answers. Food: Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.

I got to say, calling ice, and soda, and ketchup packets a food just shows what stupid answers (or is it people) you get when you ask such questions. And popcorn? borderline food. Soda is not a food, unless you want to call water a food (well, ok, the frozen water people have spoken!)

Chili cheese fries? Fat on Fat - yummy! Are we calling potatoes a vegetable instead of a starch now? The idiot kids we raise now think so - just check their school lunches.

That leaves pizza, burgers, bagels, breakfast cereal and mexican food. OK, good pizza, burgers, and mexican are missed. bagels too! Breakfast cereal - too much sugar, to little nutrition, not a breakfast that sticks with you (fill it up with some fruit, and an egg or two, some juice and coffee - now you're talking - leave out the cereal and you still have a good breakfast).

Wrong. Popcorn is food. Soda is food and potatoes are vegetables, but you are right about the stupid answers. Food: Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.

From Reference.com

Q: Is Potato a Vegetable or Starch

A: While the potato is a vegetable, many health and diet experts advise that people consider them as a starch or they advocate reclassifying the potato as a starch entirely....92 percent of the nutritional content of this vegetable is in the form of starches, specifically, simple carbohydrates and sugars....

From Reference.com

A: While the potato is a vegetable, many health and diet experts advise that people consider them as a starch or they advocate reclassifying the potato as a starch entirely....92 percent of the nutritional content of this vegetable is in the form of starches, specifically, simple carbohydrates and sugars....

8% differential is defeat...not a bad attempt though.

From Reference.com

In reinforcement... It is quite simple really ... Potatoes are Botanically classified as a vegetable and Nutritionally classified as a starchy food. Obvioously these two classification systems are for different purposes and never the twain shall meet.

This topic ('Top ten foods that Americans miss') as proposed in good humor by OP has taken a bit of a turn and seems to have attracted some food police... Folks - does it really matter to anyone what 'foods' other people consider to be 'foods'? It is hardly the subject here. Frankly, I've enjoyed the light hearted remarks and well if a person likes chips, sodas, spoons full of sugar, junk food of any nature and likes them so much that they miss them - it would seem to be their business.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

This topic ('Top ten foods that Americans miss') as proposed in good humor by OP has taken a bit of a turn and seems to have attracted some food police... Folks - does it really matter to anyone what 'foods' other people consider to be 'foods'? It is hardly the subject here. Frankly, I've enjoyed the light hearted remarks and well if a person likes chips, sodas, spoons full of sugar, junk food of any nature and likes them so much that they miss them - it would seem to be their business.

No kidding!

Back on topic thanks

"Can't we all just get a bong?"

(Cheech & Chong)

• Like 1

I was responding to the original post, and gave my opinion on the foods most missed by Americans spending extended time abroad. I commented on every one of the items on the list, as to my opinion. So I'm now the Food Police? Some of you guys are just freaking uptight.

Edited by qdinthailand

. If the OP offends you so much then just list what is YOUR favorite food instead. Far more interesting than a nitpicky argument over whether or not a potato is a vegetable or a starch, cheers.

. If the OP offends you so much then just list what is YOUR favorite food instead. Far more interesting than a nitpicky argument over whether or not a potato is a vegetable or a starch, cheers.

Well, that was my first post to this topic, which isn't about 'favorite foods', but about what food we miss the most. Actually, as the OP pointed out, this topic is about the most commonly sited foods missed the most, as stated by Americans on extended travel, and what do we think about the list. So I gave my opinion!

Edited by sbk
flame removed, play nice in the sandbox or you won't get to play at all

Well, that was my first post to this topic, which isn't about 'favorite foods', but about what food we miss the most. Actually, as the OP pointed out, this topic is about the most commonly sited foods missed the most, as stated by Americans on extended travel, and what do we think about the list. So I gave my opinion!

for me, usually my favorite foods are what I miss the most, but if you want to be a stickler then yes about the foods you miss the most. goodness you really need to learn how to be polite. Your flame has been removed.

thumbsup.gif

I did include "home brewed ale" in my top 10 (11?) list; not sure what "food" group that falls into? Other than one of the top two or three.wink.png

And who cares what genus/species ( "tuber" sounds much worse than "starch") a potato is? Anything that can morph into mashed, fried, gnocchi, baked, home-fries, twice-baked works for me. No problem finding potatoes here.

thumbsup.gif

I did include "home brewed ale" in my top 10 (11?) list; not sure what "food" group that falls into? Other than one of the top two or three.wink.png

And who cares what genus/species ( "tuber" sounds much worse than "starch") a potato is? Anything that can morph into mashed, fried, gnocchi, baked, home-fries, twice-baked works for me. No problem finding potatoes here.

You've never heard of the beer group? The most important onelaugh.png

On a serious not though, probably grainsthumbsup.gif

Do beverages count?

Ketchup doesn't count its not food.

I missed chili fries until I had the Carne Asada fries at la Monita. wow!!!

Ok they have root beer, so yes beverages count. For me its Dr Pepper.

English muffins with really good raspberry jam

Fresh blackberries

peaches

home made chocolate chip cookies

home made peanut butter cookies

real chocolate fudge

Aren't the last 3 only a recipe away?

"Or Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops or Flutie Flakes"

Are they talking about American children or all American's?

I'm not American but I love Blueberry Pie, Pecan Pie and Pumpkin Pie.......come to think of it I like all American pies.

I remember living there before and the place down in Washington Square, Bourbon Street they had a decent Pecan pie back in the late 80's maybe check in Ekamai I beleive Soi 63 and see if they still have it. Either that or cook one over the weekend. Cooking is as easy as pie.

Edited by Thailand Bound

Sprite Zero

In & Out Burger

Yep. In-n-out burger.

The thai whopper is pretty close to the US

Found A&W root beer but no DQ at the same place sad.png

Found the Dew at a rest stop! biggrin.png

McD fries here in TL just dont cut it. sad.png

Steaks in TL are HORRIBLE! sad.png what i would do for a Ruth-Chris or a Mortons.

Cioppino, or Paella!

I LOVE thai food. so when it comes down to it,

in-n-out, a good steak, laphroaig10, and a siglo vi are it for me. But that could change after a year lol.

I know there is a Morton's in Singapore and I heard a Ruth-Chris was going to open a franchise there as well.

"Or Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops or Flutie Flakes"

Are they talking about American children or all American's?

I'm not American but I love Blueberry Pie, Pecan Pie and Pumpkin Pie.......come to think of it I like all American pies.

I remember living there before and the place down in Washington Square, Bourbon Street they had a decent Pecan pie back in the late 80's maybe check in Ekamai I beleive Soi 63 and see if they still have it. Either that or cook one over the weekend. Cooking is as easy as pie.

They do still have it amd it's still good.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, where to start........so many items that I miss. Here is my list. Yes, I know some of these items are said to be here, but I have never had anything on the list that is similar to what we have back home:

1) Hamburger (and related products like, meatloaf and meatballs for spagetti.....actually can't find Italian-style spagetti w/ meatballs and/or sausage anywhere...instead they put dog food w/ ketchup on top)

2) T-bone/rib eye steak (think 1 and 2 are related to the horrible beef in Thailand......just can't get the beef we have back in the USA)

3) American-Chinese food (the British style Chinese places over here make we want to puke)

4) Smoked BBQ (I have eaten at the most expensive places and none come close to what we have back home)

5) Mexican food (again, it just is not here and I think I have tried every so-called Mexican place in Thailand)

6) Chocolate cream pie (is this pie forbidden in Thailand?)

7) Italian syle subs/hoagies (nobody is doing it)

8) Philly cheese steak sandwich (no, nothing over here like what you get in Philly)

9) Turkey and dressing (I have found turkey but nobody seems to know how to make dressing)

10) Chicken fried steak w/ cream gravy (no, it is not chicken...some places do serve it but the meat is like an old shoe)

• Like 2

Salmon croquettes

Corn Dogs (although there is one guy in K Village who has great Corn Dogs)

Diet Dr. Pepper (sometimes can get regular Dr. Pepper at Villa)

Fresh mustard greens

Martha White Yellow and Mexican Cornbread mix

Native American Wild Rice

Chicken Fried Steak

Ground Turkey (sub for ground beef)

Salmon croquettes

Corn Dogs (although there is one guy in K Village who has great Corn Dogs)

Diet Dr. Pepper (sometimes can get regular Dr. Pepper at Villa)

Fresh mustard greens

Martha White Yellow and Mexican Cornbread mix

Native American Wild Rice

Chicken Fried Steak

Ground Turkey (sub for ground beef)

I have found canned salmon at some hi-so stores like Villa.....but finding cornmeal is a different story. Did find Martha White yellow cornbread mix at Villa in Bangkok and made some great cornbread and beans. Corn dogs.......again, where is the cornmeal? Fletchers Corny Dogs.........yuuuuummmmmm. Chicken fried steak, I am with you on that one, with cornbread! Mustard greens.....yes miss that. Did somebody say "Native American wild rice?" :) Not over here........

• Like 1

Wow, where to start........so many items that I miss. Here is my list. Yes, I know some of these items are said to be here, but I have never had anything on the list that is similar to what we have back home:

[snip]

8) Philly cheese steak sandwich (no, nothing over here like what you get in Philly)

[snip]

So seeing that Thailand is exactly 12 hours time zone difference from Philadelphia (i.e. "half a world away"), why would anyone ever expect to find a decent Philly steak sandwich here when, to someone from the Philly area, you can't even get one in the U.S. 'outside of Philly'?

Because the title is foods that are missed by Americans. Last I checked Philly still qualifies as being in the US.

Maybe start a thread about foods you CAN find in Thailand. I think it won't be as short as it used to be.

Tree ripened Georgia peaches from a roadside stand. The ones that drip juice like a melting popsicle.

Steamed clams and blue crabs by the peck.

Summer cantaloupe and big boy tomatoes from a home garden.

Wild strawberries.

Apalachicola oysters.

A hot soft-shelled crab poorboy.

Gumbo.

Edited by Pacificperson

• 2 weeks later...

My list of foods that I miss the most here is getting shorter as more western foods are becoming available here, but a few really important items remain........

1] Masa flour....that's why everyone misses Mexican food here is that there are no authentic tortillias available or tamales.......both of which depend on masa flour.

2] a good thick skinned Russet potato that you can bake properly and has that creamy white meat.

3] and fresh deep water ocean fish. I can get the frozen version and can get a limited and expensive variety of deep water tropical fish.

4 and of course, a decent priced prime rib medium rare roast beef

My list of foods that I miss the most here is getting shorter as more western foods are becoming available here, but a few really important items remain........

1] Masa flour....that's why everyone misses Mexican food here is that there are no authentic tortillias available or tamales.......both of which depend on masa flour.

2] a good thick skinned Russet potato that you can bake properly and has that creamy white meat.

3] and fresh deep water ocean fish. I can get the frozen version and can get a limited and expensive variety of deep water tropical fish.

4 and of course, a decent priced prime rib medium rare roast beef

Agree 100%. Especially #4 -USDA prime or choice rare prime rib, bone on. Don't think that "Butter is Better" could come close to any of these, but I've never been there. It's a 1200 kilometer dinner outing!