Good Russian Food

JimmyTheMook

Great question!

It seems you get pelmeni at every third "Thai and European" restaurant these day, but how often is it bought in and frozen?

There are also so many more serious looking Russian restaurants. Some of them have to be good, right?

Anyway so far the best I have found is 8 Horseshoe Tavern on the baht bus route between Pattaya and Jomtien near Chow Box. They also have Uzebeki food.

http://www.8podkov.ru/

Then off 2nd road between Klang and North there is a big Russian place between 2nd and the beach that is very popular with Russians and also has Georgian food. I tried that and it wasn't as good as I had expected. I get the idea that place is considered the biggest Russian food place in town, and it is possible I just got unlucky in what I ordered. One dish I had was a Georgian chicken dish in a kind of nut sauce. Very rich but the chicken breast meat which appeared to be poached was horribly overcooked and tough. The sauce was nice though but the chicken was so bad that if I had been served that in the U.S. I would have sent it back. That's really not an excusable mistake. I also had a Georgian DUMPLING with soup inside, similar to a Shanghai Chinese dumpling. The dumpling was great but the soup inside was not very pleasant.

Sorry I can't name that restaurant. There is a big sign. Hopefully someone else can give better directions and a name. I would go back and give them another chance as their MENU was absolutely wonderful.

I mentioned the ARMENIA restaurant chain in the Hit & Run review thread. Most of their menu is Russian food. It's pretty good but nothing to write home about.

I reckon there are better places than these two.

I still haven't found any BORSCHT in town that even comes close to what my Grandmother used to make.

So yes I am still looking.

On the classic stuffed cabbage dishes, GOLUBSTI, I think that is traditionally stuffed with beef, but this being Thailand it is usually stuffed with pork. That's too bad, as I really think beef works much better what that dish.

Edited by Jingthing

My Russian friend says he has eaten good Russian food in what I call Soi Russia (aka Soi Pattaya Park).

Personally I hold off on these Russian dishes until after the first snowfall.

Good point. I've been fearful about going down that soi. Do they even have English menus? A poster a while back said non-Russian speakers wouldn't be very welcome and certainly not expected in many of those places. That said, that would be a natural place to explore. Edited by Jingthing

My Russian friend says he has eaten good Russian food in what I call Soi Russia (aka Soi Pattaya Park).

Personally I hold off on these Russian dishes until after the first snowfall.

Good point. I've been fearful about going down that soi. Do they even have English menus? A poster a while back said non-Russian speakers wouldn't be very welcome and certainly not expected in many of those places. That said, that would be a natural place to explore.

No need to be fearful at all. I went down there numerous times last summer with and without my friend. I even tried some of the food which wasn't really to my taste in this climate. Mostly I just drank beer while he eat and chatted to other Russians (he's lived in Europe for decades and doesnt often see any other Russians). The subsequent translations of his conversations were eye-opening.

Mostly Russian written and spoken, though I'm sure that the Russian business owners must be able to speak English even if only to be able to buy supplies. Thai staff mostly speak English also.

Lots of people doing things that I doubt they have a work permit for.

So the menus are translated to English or not? It sounds like not.

I seem to remember in the place we generally went to that they were. I didnt pay much attention I'm afraid. The Russian waitress did speak English in that place so I'm sure she could have translated.

Why not wander down there? It's an entertaining and pleasant walk with not much traffic.

So the menus are translated to English or not? It sounds like not.

I seem to remember in the place we generally went to that they were. I didnt pay much attention I'm afraid. The Russian waitress did speak English in that place so I'm sure she could have translated.

Why not wander down there? It's an entertaining and pleasant walk with not much traffic.

Not much traffic 'cos it's almost impossible to drive down there!!

Had to use it the other day as traffic was backed up along Theppraya and down Jomtien Second Rd. so dived down that soi for the first time since that Indian restaurant was there (maybe 12 years?) I thought I was transported to a Russian Blackpool, not a sign in English and everyone in beach clothes.

RabC is right.....if you want boiled to hell and gone tasteless bland slops - eat Russian / Uzbek / Kazak / Tajik ....A sure sign that our Ex soviet colleagues are "wising up" is to take a look at the Noodle stalls in Jomtien...they are getting stuck into cheap tasty / spicy / sweet / sour foods now....and only 60 baht a pop. This is something I never saw until the last few months. Even the locals are raising eyebrows when they see the Rooskies eating local produce. Maybe the 300 pound women are realising that eating potatoes, bread, lard and butter instead of Kow pad Kung is a mistake. Especially as they are still trying to fit into the thong they wore when they were 18 on their old holidays in the Black Sea.....

• Like 1

Hey there! My grandmother's borscht wasn't tasteless. In fact, it smelled up the entire house with essence of beet. Not Russian borscht though. Ukrainian.

I've noticed many Russians eating Thai food for years now. They seem to favor the simpler seafood dishes like platters of shrimp. Most do say NO SPICY even when ordering dishes that are NO SPICY to begin with, but hardly all of them. Many seem to like Indian food.

As far as the many Russian restaurants, well so many Russians bring their families and children are often picky eaters so what are you gonna do? I do find it bizarre that people would travel far and stick with their own food, but so many nationalities do that, which is a big reason Pattaya has become an ethnic restaurant melting pot.

Edited by Jingthing

Jing - I missed Ukraine off my list as I have no personal experience - but the others I have. Ukrainians and Lithuanians are not "big pals" with Russia know what I mean ?

Saw middle aged guy in Central wearing a T shirt with " I am Lithuanian" on his chest in 3 inch letters...I guess he was fed up being lumped into the "Russian category"

Agree about travelling around the world and you get English Breakfast / American Breakfast / Irish ??? Breakfast / Scottish Breakfast. etc...

But, fror me if you want really bland and the same thing over an over again - head for Brazil....with fried black beans on every plate and some kind of pale sawdust (Manioc ?)

Edited by lonewolf99

How about a recommendation on where a decent Russian restaurant is ?

Not sure on the quality(never eaten Russian there) but place called Pattaya Holiday Hotel on 3 road, has very cheap Russian food, pelmeny and borcsh for 100 baht and usually have a few ruskies eating there, with satisfied faces.

PS. Do not think its a Russian restaurant, but they do serve russian

PPS. There is another place called Apple hotel or something like that, on soi Buakhao, also serves Russian but is open door(no air) and prices almost double

Edited by lemoncake

• 6 years later...