Visa

jrc1

I was wondering if some kind person can help me, I am currently holidaying in Thailand and will be visiting Chiang Mai for about five days early next month.

I am from Australia and have a 30 day tourist Vias which runs out on the 10th March. I would like to remain until the 14th March, I am aware that if I overstay the 30 days I can 200 THB fine per day, however, I have heard that sometimes the Thais frown on this practic. I have heard that I can extend my visa for a further 15 days at a cost of around 1900 Baht.

Could someone please advise me on the best way to go and, should the answer be to extend my visa, could they please tell me where I can do this in Chaing Mai.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist me on this matter.

Regards

John

The extension of a 30 day entry without visa (which is what you have) will be from 7 to 15 days depending on the office/reasons. And you do want to extend rather than risk arrest/fine/deportation of overstay. The office in Chiang Mai is located at 71 Sanambin Road Amphoe Mueang

Changwat Chiang Mai 50200 from website but am sure most truck drivers will know it.

If you're thinking about travelling on and on, simply collecting the 200 baht a day fine, first consider this...

For most people, most times, everything goes smooth, and they pay when they depart. The others, having run into a checkpoint that checks, or cops checking-out guesthouses, or ANY situation where you might be asked to show your passport.. Bank? Post Office? These will most like likely be leaving via a jail cell. Really...

Thailand is very flexible for many situations, but rarely on this one. If, before you leave, any cop sees that you're overdue, you're busted. Don't get caught out on this one :o

If you have an onwards air ticket, take it with you to imigration.

I regularly get a 14 day extension to my 30 day entry permit.

Initialy they may be hesitant, but when you show them an airticket with a confirmed date on it they will probably send you to see the Boss & he will almost certainly OK it.

If you have an onwards air ticket, take it with you to imigration.

I regularly get a 14 day extension to my 30 day entry permit.

Initialy they may be hesitant, but when you show them an airticket with a confirmed date on it they will probably send you to see the Boss & he will almost certainly OK it.

Wise advice. If you are looking for 15 days extension you may only get seven, depending on how they feel at the time. With a confirmed ticket for 15 days hence I would venture to say that you would get your 15 days extension without too many problems. Be polite and dress well, and you will find the Immigration officers at Chiangmai very helpful, and courteous.

Overstay charge hiked to B500 a day

PHUKET: The fine for remaining in Thailand past the expiry date of a permit to stay, currently 200 baht a day, will rise to 500 baht a day with effect from March 15.

However, the maximum fine payable will remain the same, at 20,000 baht, Pol Lt Gen Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, Commander of the Immigration Bureau, stated in a document posted in Thai on the Bureau’s website. The document gave no reason for the increase.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=4848

Has anyone out there tried for the maximun 20,000 Baht overstay ?

I swear blind I saw an Austrian bloke pay 53,000 Baht at Ranong !

Thats 53 k divided by 200, thats erm, quite along overstay.

He just coughed up & they sent him on his way, it wasn't a backhander or anything, just the normal formalities.