How Dangerous Are Centipedes?

malw71

I am seeing a lot of these critters these days and was recently told by a Thai neighbour that I am wrong to catch and release them outside and that I should kill them (centipedes) as their bite can kill babies and small children and is worse than a scorpion sting. I have heard similar about the millipede of which I saw one this morning dringing from a small puddle of water in my bathroom. My neighbour also said they are very difficult to kill and re-generate??? Also that I should under no circumstances burn them because the smell will alert other centipedes in the area and attract them, a trait I was told as a child was apparent in wasps.

Is any of this true?

I am seeing a lot of these critters these days and was recently told by a Thai neighbour that I am wrong to catch and release them outside and that I should kill them (centipedes) as their bite can kill babies and small children and is worse than a scorpion sting. I have heard similar about the millipede of which I saw one this morning dringing from a small puddle of water in my bathroom. My neighbour also said they are very difficult to kill and re-generate??? Also that I should under no circumstances burn them because the smell will alert other centipedes in the area and attract them, a trait I was told as a child was apparent in wasps.

Is any of this true?

There was a thread in the Isaan forum about 2 months ago. Basically there are some very nasty centipedes in Thailand. Not necessarily that you would die, but the one under discussion caused excruciating pain for 2 - 3 days if it bites you. I heard somewhere that all centipedes are venomous to a certain degree, but haven't been able to confirm that.

Millipedes don't seem to be a problem.

Centipede thread

Is any of this true?

A friend was bitten by a centipede and it was very painful for several days, and very swollen.

I don't beleive the stuff about burning or regeneration, but don't know for sure...

I replied to another thread about this and some one corrected me about centipedes and millipedes.

As I see it whatever they are called the fat round dark colored slow ones that curl up when you threaten them are harmless.

The flat brownie ones with orangie legs that move FAST are bad news. They grow up to 12 inches and can hurt.

They seem to like damp places

:o

I was bitten by a centipede in Buriram during the night....it was quite painful...next morning it was still sore and red but a bit of tiger balm fixed it up.

I think some of the things mentioned here about them are old wives tales...

I was bitten by a centipede in Buriram during the night....it was quite painful...next morning it was still sore and red but a bit of tiger balm fixed it up.

I think some of the things mentioned here about them are old wives tales...

B l o o d y Buriram centipedes, i also got bitten in Buriram, one curled up in my shoe, put the shoe on in the morning, got bit, very painfull and my foot was swolen for a day or so, never want this to happen again, look at previous posts.

• 3 months later...

My tropical medicine texts all say millipedes are also very venemous. But I think there is a lot of confusion between centipedes and millipedes. Anyway, to my understanding, any worm-shapoed critters with lots of legs are bad news.

I was recently stung by a scorpion twice (on the right hanbd & left arm) and OH MY GOD. So if these guys even come close, they are to be avoided in the extreme.

Bat-eating centipede (video clip)

Thank god these don't live in Thailand.

The giant bat-eating centipede is the most formidable invertebrate predator of all. These highly aggressive creatures inhabit caves in Venezuela and can grow to 13 inches long.

They feed on bats by scaling vertical walls and capturing them while hanging upside down from the cave ceiling.

Not something you'd want to meet on a dark night.

I have several cats and a dog. I usually watch them. If they leave a creature alone, so do I. If they seem to think that playing with it or pushing it around is OK, then I am inclined to be less guarded around them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with just sweeping them up and putting them outide. These things are best no being in the house.

People get confused between millipede and centipede. The millipede is the rounded worm-like one that curls up when it senses danger. I remember reading that some millipedes ooze a toxic substance, it may be hazardous to handle them.

Girl%20with%20millipede.jpg

Here's a centipede caught at the in-laws house.

gallery_6606_95_67475.jpg

I've seen a video where lemurs were sitting in a circle passing a millipede around, each taking a bite of on it and getting high, suddenly staring, shoulders dropping and drooling excessively. :o

• 14 years later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, woofwoof said:

Just lost my dog bitten by a centipede took him to the vets died 8 hrs later.

I am sorry for your loss.

Centipedes (and millipedes) are more dangerous than most people realize. Especially for small animals like cats and dogs. Last month 1 spotted one just in time before the cats did. They would not have survived playing with it.