Why An International School

I was in favour of the international school when i was in Thailand but my wife was dead against it, she claimed the children are spoiled brats and are not disciplined properly.

We put our Daughter in a Government School and it was fantastic in everyway, I cannot speak for all schools but it really was great.

Any one else have good Experiences with the public School System, I'm always hearing negative comments but this school was fantastic.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our son went to a good catholic private school ,he hasnt turned out a spoilt brat ,neither has his friends who are all now at uni's around Thailand and in America and Britain,they are what you teach them to be. not the school.

true but they are at school alot and school friends have a strong influence on each other, you have done well, catholic schools are probably more strict.

our son went to a good catholic private school ,he hasnt turned out a spoilt brat ,neither has his friends who are all now at uni's around Thailand and in America and Britain,they are what you teach them to be. not the school.

true but they are at school alot and school friends have a strong influence on each other, you have done well, catholic schools are probably more strict.

I have found that most of his friends ,and believe me a few of them come from very rich Pattaya famillies ,(not all went to assumption ,some went to Regents and other schools) are all very nice guys only one i can think of is a bit of a waster.and even he seems pleasant.

Social behavior of the children, a good work attitude and their basic belief of right/wrong is taught at home Schools are there to present the oppurnity for the children to take the educational oppurnities presented and do what they will with them.

The International schools, church/religious sponsered schools , public Thai schools, and private schools all seem to have their advantages/downside, depending on who you talk to and what their and the childs goal and limitations/intrests are.

Schools, parents, family and children seem to be a product of a crap shoot on the bad days and thenthe good days come along and those are the ones we tend to remember, except in extreme cases.

• Like 1

I've seen the teaching methods in a number of government schools in Thailand and I wouldn't send my daughter to one. Having said that, I wouldn't like to send her to many of the state schools in the UK either and I'm not convinced that the standard of teaching at international schools merits the fees they charge. Luckily she is only 20 months old at the moment so I have a while to resolve my dilemma.

How do you classify an International school? Serious question as I have always wondered. Licensed to set higher fees because of the name, or better qualified teachers?

Our kids went to the EP (English Programme) part of a government school and did OK from that education, both attending universities afterwards. Before that, they attended St. Nicholas, a christian (catholic) school for their earlier education.

How do you classify an International school? ....

Foreign curriculum. My bairns are following the English National curriculum, followed by International Baccalaureate.

You don't want to be stuck following a curriculum that is not widely used if you anticipate moving about

SC

• Like 1

Foreign curriculum. My bairns are following the English National curriculum, followed by International Baccalaureate.

You don't want to be stuck following a curriculum that is not widely used if you anticipate moving about

SC

K, makes sense.

Cheers SC, learn something every day!

If you could easily afford it, would you send your kids to a state school or an international school? 99.9% would opt for the international school.

Lets be honest, the only people who try to argue that state schools are better than international fee paying school are those who cannot afford to pay the fees and who are trying to make themselves feel better about their kids going to a state school.

Having said that many state schools are fine and kids go one to great universities and have happy lives- and in any case there really should be no stigma or self pity if one does send ones kids to a state school.

• Like 1

I send my daughter to a Private school, with an EP in Bangkok. It's a very pleasant school, with nice people and is well run. I have no complaints. Would I send her to an international school? Yes, if they were a bit more realistic in pricing, my two eldest go to a very good school in the UK, which is cheaper than some of the mediocre International schools here. I certainly wouldn't send her to a Government school here though.

SC

English? crivvens....I hope they are reciting a bit ay poetry and tucking into haggis this evening!

SC

English? crivvens....I hope they are reciting a bit ay poetry and tucking into haggis this evening!

Helpmaboab! Can yeza' believe I'd fergotten whitdayitwiz?

Whair am I to get my neeps? I'll just have to substitute assorted inedible animal parts for a haggis... or maybe I'll just see what malts they've got in Sids.

For those whose education does not stretch to today's relevance, specially for JT, from the immortal Jewish poet Rabbi Burns

"Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face

Great chieften o' the puddin' race

Among them a' ye take yer place

Wi plainch, tripe or thairm,

Weill are ye worthy o' a grace

As long as my arm"

Apologies for the spelling errors; it's a long time since I've seen it written

• Like 1

I've taught in government schools, indeed I've taught in one that consistently wins national and royal awards and I would never, ever send my kids to one as long as I could afford international schools.

Class sizes of 30 - 50 students seriously undermine even the very best teachers. How well do you think the teacher is prepared to deal with those kids after the endemic mismanagement, corruption, lack of meaningful discipline or indeed lack of meaningful curricula is factored in? The only teachers in government schools that I see with consistently high-ish morale are the PE, music and art teachers (although the latter two are sometimes heaped with prize collecting competitions and projects too).

I could go on but it think the rest is just embroidery after what I just said.

If you've got options, Thai schools should not be one of them.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

If you could easily afford it, would you send your kids to a state school or an international school? 99.9% would opt for the international school.

Lets be honest, the only people who try to argue that state schools are better than international fee paying school are those who cannot afford to pay the fees and who are trying to make themselves feel better about their kids going to a state school.

Having said that many state schools are fine and kids go one to great universities and have happy lives- and in any case there really should be no stigma or self pity if one does send ones kids to a state school.

is that a fact, so you know what i earn, you should never assume things.

i get 120000bht per month, how much are the school fees,

if i say its because my wife does not like it then thats the reason, you will find very quickly during the moments im not suspended here that i talk straight.

i dont assume or make things up as you just did, and lets face it, not knowing me thats exactly what you just did, admit it,

Was your child brainwashed by the school?? Force fed the "great Thainess" and Buddha?

Am curious as I REALLY dont want this if I ever have kids.

i certainly hope so, if she wasnt i would not send her there.

again the school was great, upon returning to Australia she was well ahead back here.

I send my kids to an international school as it is the best education available in Thailand at the present time. They are very expensive though and if I couldn't afford it, I'd maybe try one of the private Chritian schools, or relocate back home but I would never send my children to a Thai state school. The standard of education there is simply awful.

A friend of mine is very satisfied with the schooling his daughter received in a Pattaya area public school. Apart from a couple of years of extra home tuition for some problem subjects, she has turned out top and will be trying for Uni next year.

Edited by NanLaew

Was your child brainwashed by the school?? Force fed the "great Thainess" and Buddha?

Am curious as I REALLY dont want this if I ever have kids.

As noted by others, there's a difference between what is taught and what is learned. If one relies totally on the school to fill a childs impressionable head with ideas, that is a parental disservice. The importance of what a child learns and what the child really understands has a lot to do with the lessons taught at home.

• Like 2

I dont have first hand experience yet, but the recommendations from friends in the same position as I are to go with a private Thai school. English shouldn't be a problem for obvious reasons and as we have no intention of moving abroad an international school seems unnecessary. We also have a home in the country but have decided to get another place because the schools up here are very inadequate.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

future proof your kids if you can. IB is a huge advantage for Western uni. places.

My experience is the kids that have come out of some of the top private international schools in Thailand are more "World ready" with really good social interaction skills and of course an IB qualification under their belt for further education anywhere and eventually better job opportunities.

If you can afford private international in Thailand it is the best way to go. Spoiled brats that is down to the parenting not the school.

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 1

My daughters went to a supposed top Thai kindergarten and learned next to nothing. A total waste of money. We moved them to a mid priced international school and they are thriving. What's more, they love going to school. Go Ascot!

• Like 2

I don't have kids, but I do have a Thai education anecdote, if that's permitted. A few months ago, I was sitting with my pal who told me about his two adopted (you can use the term adopted or insert the words sponsored or paid for) Thai kids, up country. The kids 'grandmother' works as a Teacher (unqualified and appointed by her Uncle who is the Head). Anyhow, the boy came in last time he was visiting and he was asked (he's 8) what he had learnt that day. With a big smile, he declared "We learnt about volcanos". My pal asked "What did you learn? Did you learn about tectonic plates? Did you learn about magma?". Looking confused, the boy replied "No, Teacher said when America boxes with other countries, the mountains shout and spit!". Needless to say, arrangements are now being made for the kids to attend an international school for the beginning of the next school year.