Trip Reports, Visiting Chiang Rai.

villagefarang

As members of this Chiang Rai forum, we don't just talk to each other, and we are sometimes called upon to offer suggestions to visitors. Too often we never hear how their visit went. I have taken an idea from the travel section and would like to apply it to our little sub forum. Instead of having reports all over the place, I thought we might be able to put them all in one thread. It may not work but thought I would try.

Wax lyrical if you like, or if you are worried about your prose, you could use an easy list format to share your trip report. By sharing a followup trip report you can help the next guy who might have questions similar to yours.

Even if you were just passing through on a visa run, let us know how it went. Firsthand accounts from visitors are sure to touch on things resident might overlook and be educational to all.

I for one, would love to hear from Smokie36, David48, Ricku and Jazzed to mention a few who have recently visited the Rai.

(EXAMPLE)

1. How did you travel to Chiang Rai and how did you get around once you arrived?

2. Where did you stay and did you like it?

3. Where did you eat and was it difficult finding food you liked?

4. Where did you go and what did you see?

5. What did you do, other than sightseeing, to while away the time?

6. What were your impressions, good or bad?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the late response. I am still travelling with intermittent access to the internet. a quick report then .....

Firstly I should clarify that I don't live in Thailand (yet) So I still see things through tourist's eyes. I drove to Chiang Rai on my own, from Chiang Mai. I have been to the usual tourist sights (Mae Salong, White Temple etc) this was a brief road trip between meetings in CM. I was hoping to meet some forum members but too bad I missed the potluck, and could not arrange any meet-ups.

Whether something is positive or negative depends so much on the writer's profile. For me, plus points were the laidback relaxed atmosphere, relatively low-volume traffic so it's easy + fun to explore on a bicycle. People seemed more friendly. Big highlight was Chivit Thamma Da (got to meet the owner who took the time to chat) I love driving and the road CM-to-CR was easy + good.

Some observations which gave me thought: I was surprised to find accomodation and motorbike rentals relatively expensive (compared to Chiang Mai) e.g. 150B/day in CM for a newish automatic scooter, 300B/day in CR. I was recommended to eat specialities with chunks of blood, fatty pork, offal....not to my taste I'm afraid. I suspect that the many tribal workers in guesthouses, restaurants are underage. Certainly they seemed (to my eye) weary and unhappy. The 2 Akha girls who cleaned my guesthouse worked from 6am to late at night. I suppose this over-working goes on in other parts of Thailand but I have not seen workers as young.

I am sure there is much more to Chiang Rai. I have valuable information from trawling Thaivisa but can only learn so much. I hope to glean more from personal interactions in the future.

jazzed,

Sorry I was running around a bit while you were here and really didn’t have time for an easy relaxed get-together. So did you meet the husband or the wife at Chivit Thamma Da? Both are lovely people.

It is always good to receive feedback, and thanks for being the first to respond. Seeing Chiang Rai through the eyes of others may not always be comfortable and may focus on things we tend to overlook. Still I find it interesting to hear other’s impressions. Having lived here so long, it is hard for me to imagine what it all looks like to someone new. That is an additional reason for starting this topic, I suppose.

Thanks again for taking time to share your thoughts.

I had long wished to visit Chiang Rai, and more so every time I heard about the area from others who had visited. I had intended this part of our trip, that is my gf and myself, to be a relaxing break after the partying of New Year in Chiang Mai.

As always however things didn't quite work out that way!

We started our journey from Chiang Mai on the early afternoon public bus, a pleasant trip through some scenic parks and arrived late afternoon in Chiang Rai to be picked up by the hotel staff of the Bura resort some 20 or so kilometres from Chiang Rai.

I chose this place so we could be away from the hustle and bustle of the city and do as little as possible. The resort is certainly perfect for this, however we turned out to be rather too busy to spend as much time there as I would have liked.

As we were peckish and the hotel menu looked a bit sparse we headed back into town to explore the dinner options and have a look around.

post-78923-0-76671800-1359403021_thumb.j

We had a look at some of the shops alongside which had a good selection of sweet stuff but we wanted a decent meal and of course my gf wanted to check out the shopping so off we went to the Night Bazaar.

Plenty to see and do there and we ended up eating there as well....the cabaret was errm...entertaining. whistling.gif

So after an early night we discovered we were being joined the next day by some Aussie friends who were flying in from Cambodia which changed our plans a bit and we booked up a car to take a tour around for the following day. In the meantime we decided a visit to the White Temple was in order....

post-78923-0-83196700-1359403082_thumb.j

post-78923-0-60997100-1359403201_thumb.j

I love the artist's fire and brimstone approach....also the gallery is well worth a look....some excellent work.

post-78923-0-45508800-1359403247_thumb.p

Of course mention has to be made of this building....hosting the finest toilets in Thailand!.....

post-78923-0-84652500-1359402772_thumb.p

laugh.png

A mention too for the moo deng place across the road to the right of the main temple.....yes I like my grub. thumbsup.gif

OK....continued in part 2 shortly....w00t.gif

We headed back into town late afternoon and given the choice I would have retired to Pub St for the rest of the day...biggrin.png

However my lovely gf had other ideas and we went to a restaurant outside of the city centre...its name escapes me now but we ended up eating here twice as the food was so good.

I will ask her and hopefully add that detail later.

Food pics....only cos it was so good....perhaps someone will recognise the place.

post-78923-0-93285500-1359404180_thumb.p

post-78923-0-94787900-1359404209_thumb.p

post-78923-0-39032800-1359404238_thumb.p

After this delicious supper we headed back to my favourite watering hole to wait for the Aussies to show up.....waited and waited.....but they had been held up at the Cambodian border and missed their flight.

So we had to rearrange our planned trip to the following day to allow our friends time to get up to Chiang Rai.

This left us with a free day so we took a bus from town up to Chiang Saen...for all of 46 Baht I think it was.

post-78923-0-62030500-1359404707_thumb.p

Its a pleasant little town...not too much to see and do there really so we took a wander along to the Golden Triangle for an hour or two and looked around the Opium museum....no free samples sadly so back we went to the hotel....

post-78923-0-40567300-1359404881_thumb.j

Making friends with the locals....

post-78923-0-81989500-1359404939_thumb.j

Some of the views the following morning....

post-78923-0-08243300-1359405197_thumb.p

post-78923-0-69763100-1359405226_thumb.p

post-78923-0-94551800-1359405615_thumb.p

And a couple of the hotel....

post-78923-0-15584700-1359405549_thumb.p

post-78923-0-98306900-1359405579_thumb.p

OK enough for now....tomorrow we will get all over Chiang Rai province....stay tuned! tongue.png

Love them food pics Mr. Smokie. Keep 'm coming!

Whats the story with the frie noodle broth next to your deliciously looking chicken curry?

I dunno....my gf must have ordered it. I'm not a noodle fan really...but the chicken dish was outstanding.

Some idiot booked the car to pick up the Aussies from the Wiang Inn at 7am and then drive out to haul us out of bed too. Luckily the Aussies are street smart and fortified us...well me at least....with some liquid from the hip flask before we hit the road towards Mae Salong.

First stop along the way was at the hot spring. Sadly I forgot to bring my shorts for a swim but we were glad to stretch our legs at least.....

post-78923-0-22889100-1359491316_thumb.p

post-78923-0-03010400-1359491345_thumb.p

The locals were having a whale of a time fishing in the warm water....the mud was even warmer underneath too! A real fun atmosphere when they caught a large fish....

post-78923-0-17815300-1359491441_thumb.p

post-78923-0-71419800-1359491469_thumb.p

Just time for one more snap before the sulphuric smell became a bit too much....

post-78923-0-25899500-1359491546_thumb.p

Back in the car then for the drive up to Mae Salong. The scenery along this stretch of road just gets better and better as you drive along it. At last we arrived.....

post-78923-0-58390500-1359492599_thumb.p

We stopped here to try a few different types of tea.....then up the hill.....

post-78923-0-28715900-1359492657_thumb.p

Then alone to the top as my gf was being very Thai....or as we say at home....lazy.

post-78923-0-84713300-1359492756_thumb.p

My chronology gets bad pretty soon after this but I reckon we stopped off at the market in Mae Salong next. Spent a half hour pottering about looking at various things before we hit my personal jackpot with the discovery of strawberry wine! Fantastic stuff I reckon and if anyone has a recipe please let me know....

Meanwhile my gf got chatting with one of the locals at the stalls who recommended that rather than eat at one of the places on the road, we should head down the hill towards the old market full of local junk....at the far end of which, hidden from view is another restaurant.....which serves the best pork leg.

We sat down in the place not expecting much and ordered some roast duck and a small pork leg portion between the five of us. I was first to try the pork and immediately called the waitress over and ordered another large portion. One of the most outstanding meals I have ever eaten.....superb!!

This pic is from the front of the restaurant...sorry were too busy eating for food pics.

post-78923-0-22035500-1359493440_thumb.p

That's the only clue as to the whereabouts of this Mae Salong hidden gem...

Having stuffed our faces and bought cuddly toys, bags, hats, nuts and been refused a bottle of wine <sniff>....we headed onwards to the viewpoint....

post-78923-0-55945100-1359493647_thumb.j

post-78923-0-67007500-1359493690_thumb.p

post-78923-0-55319100-1359493715_thumb.p

post-78923-0-41382600-1359493792_thumb.p

On again for a brief stop at a tea plantation....

post-78923-0-34893900-1359493902_thumb.p

I wanted to head up to Doi Tung and have a look at the Royal Villa while we were in the area as I had heard the views are spectacular. I was less impressed with the "no photos" rule....and also the steep entrance fees! Not a place I recommend really but a couple of pics...

post-78923-0-54474400-1359494073_thumb.p

post-78923-0-16608700-1359494108_thumb.p

The afternoon was beginning to pass us by so it was time for a sprint to the Golden Triangle and hop on a boat over to Laos.....I loved the small market as, although pretty much everything was not worth buying, they had cold BeerLao Dark for 40 Baht a bottle. If I lived in the Rai this would be a regular day trip for me!

Anyway soon it was time to head back to town....

post-78923-0-41687800-1359494381_thumb.p

post-78923-0-81423600-1359494213_thumb.j

OK phew! More tomorrow I guess.....tongue.png

No worries VF. Meet up next time.

MG where is Tok Tung please? I would have happily patronised all these yummy eateries if I'd known. Something to look forward to for next trip.

From memory...turn left coming out of the Wiang Inn keep going straight....about a ten minute drive and on your right. Fairly near Central I think.

Although I could be wrong. :P

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for not finishing things off properly....I have been pretty busy.

So we went to Mae Sai the last day so I could do a visa run. The Aussies wanted to do a but of shopping across the border so we had a good look around.

I can't say I was too impressed really but the vino was OK priced.

One thing is my Thai gf had to nip back a click or two to get a border pass which held us up on the way across....one to be careful of!

Other than that its a fairly seamless process.

In the evening we went to a restaurant to the left of the Wiang Inn....on the corner a good sized Thai place....it serves excellent food. Best we had in the area.

Spent a bit of time in the Pub Street each evening and I can't say it is much to write home about....maybe next time we will look for better options.

The taxi service was very good....well priced but on one occasion we had to wait over an hour for a pickup which was a nuisance....and the call centre seemed to not know what they were doing half the time....I understand its a new service so hopefully they will iron out any difficulties.

Overall we only spent a few days in Chiang Rai and enjoyed the area immensely....touched the surface and much more to explore I think....so will be back soon.

Look forward to meeting a few of you next time with luck! smile.png

Hi there VF and thanks for inviting me to post.

I should have been smarter then this and posted before smokie36 did ... because there is not left unsaid.

Also the situation was completely different for us as we, the gf and I took her parents on the trip with us as a gift to them. They had never travelled in a Plane before so this was a BIG thing for them.

Thanks also for the information that you gave to us ... I'm sure that there will be a return journey in a more relaxed time and without the out-laws.

The plan was for gf, Ma n Pa Kettle and me to fly Bangkok into Chiang Rai, collect a hire car, 1 night in Chiang Rai, drive to Chiang Mai, 2 nights there, leave the hire car there and fly back into Bangkok on the 4th day ... and that's pretty much what happened.

Amazingly Ma and Pa Kettle were able to find 'long lost' friends or relatives in both cities ... so a fair bit of time (for me) was spent sitting and smiling and killing mosquitoes ... ermm.gif

But this trip wasn't about what I wanted ... it was 'honouring' the Parents ... and they felt suitably 'honoured' by the end of the trip.

This trip was followed by 2 months staying at their Farm near Bangkok and they saw fit to offer (for free ... just build the dwelling) a plot of land at the Farm to us ... no marriage required ... but I digress ... ohmy.png

Difficult not to post similiar photos to smokie's experiences above ... but I'll look in the drawers.

David48

You are an example to us all, so caring and giving. I hope you take a little for yourself at some future date and visit Chiang Rai again with your gf, for a more romantic self-indulgent holiday. I am sure she would enjoy a stress free break from the family as well.smile.png

Thanks for the feedback Smokie, I'm glad you enjoyed it here.

Sorry I was away during your trip, I would have liked to have caught up.

I'll look forward to your next visit.

I can see how the place can grow on you. Wonderful scenery....relaxed people....great food....and no doubt much more to explore for me! smile.png

To differentiate my trip report form smokie36's adventures above ... maybe a Thai or family's perspective might be in order.

We live at the gf's parents Farm, an hours drive south of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I would have dearly loved to have flown out of Swampy ... but the cost was a factor. Also a factor to consider is 'face' ... yep, that age old gem. When the Thai father makes 'his' trip report to the neighbours, relatives and friends, they will inevitably ask ... which airline you flew with ... much more face is you can reply that he flew 'our' Airline ... Thai airlines.

So the compromise was to fly out of Don Muang (AirAsia) and back into Swampy (Thai Smile) ... hoping that the wind direction was right and he would physically over his Farm.

The cost of the Taxi from the Farm to Don Muang was 420 Baht ... biggest fare I've ever paid ... w00t.gif

Actually, I had forgotten about Don Muang ... and I must admit, I remember it warmly now. Plus it has an excellent viewing platform for the planes. Farm Father was entranced. Farm Mother couldn't believe the cost of food at the Airport ... and she wasn't even paying!

post-104736-0-03512300-1360973839_thumb.

He has never flown before ... I wonder what he's thinking?

Bought them both window seats ... but Mother insisted on sitting next to Pa

post-104736-0-35773300-1360973909_thumb.

Got to love them

BTW ... those Ray Bans are originals. He bought them more then 20 years ago!

For those interested in the flying aspect of the trip ...

post-104736-0-39087200-1360976688_thumb.

It's the reverse leg of what we flew. For those interested in Flight information the website is Flight Radar 24

Sadly, the coverage seems to dissapear round a line between Mae Sot -------Tak

And for those interested in Planes generally ... Plane Spotting - the quiz ... that works all the time!

OK ... the actual trip report photos in the next post ... promise ... biggrin.png

It's great to re do stuff through someone else's experience and eyes.

I gave a Lao lady her first look at the sea years ago, the trip including her first plane flight.

She never stopped talking about it for weeks when we got back.

I bet that's not the only thing you gave her a first look at either sceabiggrin.png

Archived