Trip Reports, Visiting Chiang Rai.

villagefarang

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kev is too busy enjoying himself.....no need for pics.....tell us a story of Chiang Rai. smile.png

He has covered a lot of ground lately and may need a little time to compose a story for us. I really enjoyed meeting him while he was here in Chiang Rai.smile.png

I think Kev is too busy enjoying himself.....no need for pics.....tell us a story of Chiang Rai. smile.png

He has covered a lot of ground lately and may need a little time to compose a story for us. I really enjoyed meeting him while he was here in Chiang Rai.smile.png

You have hit the nail on the head VF. Internet down, and flooded out in Phitsunalok makes things a little harder to post....sad.png

Will give a full report when I get back to Aus and can do things on my own computer.
Trying to get round the Thai on the stepdaughter's computer is a real hassle.
I can tell you that our week in Chiang Rai was perfect, weather wise and meeting VF and Harrry for coffee....clap2.gif

Not Chiang Rai, but this is after the rain last night in Phitsunalok.

post-36037-0-56846800-1372053950_thumb.j post-36037-0-44852100-1372053973_thumb.j

post-36037-0-19773300-1372053987_thumb.j post-36037-0-44616100-1372053997_thumb.j

On top of this, car problems, but they are sorted now.

Must be Chiang Rai, and the people we meet, as to why all was perfect in Chiang Rai.....thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Have put together a report of my trip to Chiang Rai and I now feel that I can post it,

so here goes. Please forgive me for the quality of the photos as I am not a Photographer.

Left Non Thai on the Saturday the 15th June and travelled to Phitsunalok.

post-36037-0-32267200-1373197821_thumb.j

Sunday we move on to Phayao,

calling into Uttaradit to meet TV member, Ron19 and his wife.

After a cup of coffee and a 3hr chat, we are on our way again.

As it was evening when we arrived in Phayao, it took some time to find accommodation, but by 8pm, all is sweet.

post-36037-0-41963200-1373197935_thumb.j

Monday, off to Chiang Rai.

Arrived at lunch time, so after a bite to eat, we contacted Harrry who has arranged our accommodation.

post-36037-0-43875300-1373198144_thumb.jpost-36037-0-30508400-1373198177_thumb.jpost-36037-0-82563700-1373198201_thumb.j

His wife meets us and shows us the way to their home.

Leaving me to talk to Harrry, the women are off to unpack our gear at the resort that Harrry has arranged for us.

Good clean rooms on ground level, serviced every day and with WIFI….. all for 300 baht a night. Who am I to complain.

After settling into our accommodation, I rang villagefarang and arranged to meet him at Central Plaza on Tuesday at noon.

I was very keen to meet the man who had created my extreme interest in Chiang Rai.

Noon, Tuesday arrives and villagefarang, harrry and myself meet for lunch at Central Plaza and then settle down to a great old chinwag……..over 6hrs. As the women had now finished their window shopping, harrry and his wife moved off home, while VF took my wife, step daughter and myself sightseeing. We went to a temple, Wat Phra That Doi Khaw Kwai, at the top of Buffalo Hill that looked back down over Chiang Rai.

post-36037-0-55868300-1373198419_thumb.jpost-36037-0-97391300-1373198534_thumb.j

Home about 8:30pm

Will continue in the next post.

Wednesday we are out with harrry and his wife site seeing some of Chiang Rai Township.

Had a smorgasbord lunch at The Rimkok Resort,

post-36037-0-72906200-1373199563_thumb.jpost-36037-0-33342600-1373199666_thumb.jpost-36037-0-77948500-1373199685_thumb.j

then some more sightseeing on our own.

Visited the Chiang Rai Uni

post-36037-0-17960500-1373199775_thumb.jpost-36037-0-52296000-1373199800_thumb.j

and then out to the Chiang Rai Airport.

post-36037-0-47413400-1373199906_thumb.j

Thursday is another day at Central Plaza meeting up with VF and his wife for lunch at Sizzler's.

After lunch and much direction giving, we were well prepared to find our way to VF’s home.

He has kindly offered to take us sightseeing out over the hills.

Going to see the area where all those great photos that he posts, come from.

Dinner Thursday night was with harrry and his wife at an open air Thai eatery just up on the main road from where we were staying.

The food was great and cheap…..180 baht for 5 people.

So Friday arrives and we set off to meet VF at his home.

All goes well and after one confirmation from the local police that we are indeed going in the right direction, we arrive at VF’s home.

Had a very friendly greeting from all the dogs, including Cookie, and the cat…..Oh.......and also VF and his wife.

Well, now is the start of some exciting sightseeing that made my trip to Chiang Rai a pleasure.

First off there was a small Buddhist Pavilion high up in the hills, near a hill tribe village called Phaya Pipak,

which looked back down in the valley towards VF’s home.

Then we moved on to a lookout in the village of Phaya Pipak that allowed some magnificent views across the valley looking toward Phu Chi Fa.

From this point we drove down a very steep road, across the valley and up the other side to Phu Chi Fa Forest Park,

where you can walk another ¾ of a kilometre to the lookout on top of Phu Chi Fa ,but this poor old body said, “NO”,

after making it a fair way up the steep trail.

Link to Phu Chi Fa: http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style2/default.asp?npid=65&lg=2

From there we travelled on past were they grow cabbages

post-36037-0-55372200-1373200540_thumb.jpost-36037-0-40976300-1373200464_thumb.jpost-36037-0-47078700-1373200588_thumb.j

(Need to be a mountain goat to work the hillsides)

and down to the Phu Sang Waterfall.

post-36037-0-05458800-1373200692_thumb.jpost-36037-0-26535200-1373200723_thumb.j

There is a beautiful park and picnic grounds where you can relax and take in the views.

post-36037-0-31295800-1373200851_thumb.jpost-36037-0-63513200-1373200902_thumb.jpost-36037-0-02034500-1373200965_thumb.j

From here we made our way back to VF’s home were we had a most enjoyable (late) lunch prepared and cooked by VF’s wife.

So now, as it is after 4pm, we say our goodbyes and return to Chiang Rai. My, what great hospitality…..thank you VF.

Well, Saturday was a washing day, thanks to harrry and his wife….(what can I say….more great hospitality) Thanks harrry,

before leaving Sunday to head back home via Lam Bang…...Know for its Wood Carving

post-36037-0-49964700-1373201771_thumb.jpost-36037-0-11285800-1373201860_thumb.jpost-36037-0-50269700-1373201898_thumb.j

post-36037-0-41083300-1373201964_thumb.jpost-36037-0-56259400-1373201994_thumb.j

then 2 nights at Phitsunalok, where we almost got flooded out

post-36037-0-75557500-1373202137_thumb.jpost-36037-0-22936900-1373202154_thumb.j

and the last 2 nights at Nahkon Sawan before heading home to Non Thai, arriving Thursday evening.

Now, I do realise that some of my reference are not Chiang Rai area related, but they were all part of my Chiang Rai trip.

So having said that, I now am looking forward to my next trip as there is just so much more to see and enjoy.

Hope others will take the time to share their trips and experiences in Chiang Rai.

ps: I would like to thank all the people who have posted in this topic, as they gave me so much help in planning this trip...wai2.gif

Just to add........due to the nature of the roads that VF travelled over on the Friday, I suffered from car sickness.

It was not bad, and after stopping to get rid of what was my problem (water), we were soon on our way.

This was the 2nd time, in my short life of 66 years, that I have suffered car sickness.

So, as a warning, if who suffers from this, don't forget the pills.

Sorry for the negative but might make what could be a bad day a fantastic day for people who suffer from car sickness.

Just to add........due to the nature of the roads that VF travelled over on the Friday, I suffered from car sickness.

It was not bad, and after stopping to get rid of what was my problem (water), we were soon on our way.

This was the 2nd time, in my short life of 66 years, that I have suffered car sickness.

So, as a warning, if who suffers from this, don't forget the pills.

Sorry for the negative but might make what could be a bad day a fantastic day for people who suffer from car sickness.

I do seem to have that effect on some people.laugh.pngwink.png

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps if we made this topic more technical and included daily and total kilometers traveled, kilometers per liter, altitude variations, temperature variations, vehicle specs, camera specs, itemized price breakdowns for everything worn and consumed, we might get more interest and comment.wink.pngbiggrin.png

No more trip reports?

Must be someone out there who has been to Chiang Rai and can post a report of their trip.

Will I book the hotel again so you can come back and write anothersmile.png

Don't tempt me harrry........1 and 2 degrees here of a morning going to 11 or 12 during the day.sad.png

No more trip reports?

Must be someone out there who has been to Chiang Rai and can post a report of their trip.

Don't tempt me harrry........1 and 2 degrees here of a morning going to 11 or 12 during the day.sad.png

Maybe we could book you in upmarket this time. At the moment the Rimkok is only 1200 baht including breakfasst and you would not have to go far for the buffetsmile.png

No more trip reports?

Maybe we could book you in upmarket this time. At the moment the Rimkok is only 1200 baht including breakfast and you would not have to go far for the buffetsmile.png

Perhaps if we made this topic more technical and included daily and total kilometers traveled, kilometers per liter, altitude variations, temperature variations, vehicle specs, camera specs, itemized price breakdowns for everything worn and consumed, we might get more interest and comment.wink.pngbiggrin.png

And the area of all the different plots of land passed during the tripthumbsup.gif Now that would be Chiang Rai trip relatedcoffee1.gif

• 10 months later...

No trips to report over the last 12 months?

Must be someone that would like to add their holiday experiences in Chiang Rai.

Perhaps as we get closer to the cooler months there will be someone willing to share their holiday experiences here in Chiang Rai.

my sister and brother will be looking around the hills and fields in the new year and i will be their guide then down to chiang mai

Make sure they see the hills and byways and people here before heading to ChiangMai and let us know about what they do here.

Sadly the only person doing trips round here seems to be VF. Glad he lets us know about them.

• 4 months later...

Perhaps as we get closer to the cooler months there will be someone willing to share their holiday experiences here in Chiang Rai.

We have one great trip report in a separate thread so maybe we will get more with the uptick in visitors.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I visited Chiang Rai last October-November 2015. I enjoyed it so much I'm planning to go back.

I stayed at the Ariya Inn, very close to the old airport landing strip (where people congregate and use as a jogging and cycling track). A good location, reasonably close to the Central Shopping Centre on one side, and the town centre on the other. The hotel was clean, of a good standard, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. An added bonus was a a great coffee place close to the school (the name escapes me), just down the road from the hotel heading for town and first on your left.

As far as eating is concerned I lunched at a cafe (Discovery Cafe) in town. Lot's of foreigner customers because I believe it is connected to the children's charity that many of them work for. Nice food, good wi fi, reasonable prices. I tried a couple of Thai places around the bar area and they were surprisingly good, and great value. Also went to Hungry Wolf's ... a good place if you are looking for western fare. If you want traditional fast food you can find it on the high street close to the night market or at the Central Shopping place.

The town is quiet and the locals are friendly, but never in your face, unlike some of the more popular Thai destinations. I enjoyed exploring the town by foot, and visited a number of the market areas. It's not a party town, so if that is important to you just stay a short time.

I also hired a car and visited a number of places ... the White Temple, Doi Chang coffee plantation, a tea plantation, the Golden Triangle, Chiang Saen, Chiang Khong, and Mae Sai. All very enjoyable.

All in all, a great place and I'm planning to spend more time there this Summer.

way too quiet for my taste, and i dont go out that much.

even after just 3 days i was jonesing for more to do. most bars on road with a couple staff and 2 or 3 customers if they were lucky. thats at 9 at night . did not look like it ever picks up however. did not stick around to find out.

many massage places were you can go in and be the only customer around.

the night market seems to be the only place where people go at night.

Archived