Trip Reports, Visiting Chiang Rai.

villagefarang

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plane flight was thankfully without a mishap. I did try and position the Farm Father behind the wing so that he could view the mechanics of the plane's wing function. It's his type, he pulls apart the farms motors and rebuilds them ... so it's an interest for him.

I was explaining stuff to him with the gf translating when I got 'that look' and the words ... yes I know.

I then shut-up, nestled back into my seat and enjoyed the take-off. How he 'knew' I'm not sure ... but don't argue with the Thai male head of the family.

post-104736-0-98693900-1361066576_thumb.

We had arranged for a car pick-up at the Airport ... they were waiting. 1,000 Baht a day ... but the best bit was that we could drive to Chiang Mai and they would retrieve the car from there. Cost was 1,000 Baht for the inter-city transfer and I consider this great value considering our situation.

Driving ... who to drive? Father is ex-Navy and the Alpha Male ... but happily delegated that task to me with the excuse that the car was an Auto and he drives a manual. Just looking for a way that he saves face and we kick the holiday off for a good start. Stopped between the Airport and the Hotel for Pork Noodles ... and Father and I had a wee discussion about who pays. He did, I'm happy and he's happy to contribute ... another tick.

post-104736-0-64990700-1361067668_thumb.

Our room view

post-104736-0-44709900-1361067670_thumb.

Parents room view

post-104736-0-99009400-1361067661_thumb.

Hotel view from the breakfast place.

We ended up staying at the Kong Garden View Resort for 600 Baht a night by phoning ahead.

with a bit of sweet talking, we got a nice room with a view. Included a basic breakfast.

It's a 'Family' style hotel.

Tip ... when travelling with the Outlaws, request a room without an adjoining wall ... whistling.gif ... we did and the Hotel honoured our request.

There is always trepidation when dropping in-experienced travellers at their hotel room ... amplified by them being the (potential) outlaws. We went through the basics with them, air-con, TV, free bottled water, hot showers etc.

More again soon ...

Oops sorry Dancealot...I promised you one more food pic...

post-78923-0-49324100-1361090560_thumb.j

here's a bonus pic...

post-78923-0-98244500-1361090639_thumb.j

tongue.png

Here's some pics of the Doi Mae Salong tucker that you neglected to show us. tongue.pnglaugh.png

post-38081-0-72400300-1361158060_thumb.jpost-38081-0-00718700-1361157819_thumb.j

Thanks.....but where is the excellent hot sauce that goes with the duck?

I loved that stuff!

Oops sorry Dancealot...I promised you one more food pic...

post-78923-0-49324100-1361090560_thumb.j

here's a bonus pic...

post-78923-0-98244500-1361090639_thumb.j

tongue.png

Here's some pics of the Doi Mae Salong tucker that you neglected to show us. tongue.pnglaugh.png

post-38081-0-72400300-1361158060_thumb.jpost-38081-0-00718700-1361157819_thumb.j

Must admit, I just liked my lips ... and it's early breakfast time here!

VF, I 'liked' his post for you.

More story to tell, but had only 4 hours sleep last and 1 coffee ... so those juices arn't flowing just yet.

One thing that did take a little adjustment on my behalf was the Thai parents attitude to travelling ... it is so different from ours. Mitigating circumstances are that the sample base is only one and they are first time plane travellers.

Was there any thought given to exploring the Chiang Mai Town Centre at night ... nope.

There was a friend in town and that was what was decided in my absence i.e. gf and parents chatting in Thai, while I kicked back, enjoyed a beer, the air-con and some English TV.

While that did sound strange to type, for perspective, I've been at the gf's parents Farm near Bangkok with no air, no English TV and ration proportions of the amber refreshment.

So ... off to see the friend we are ... I'm driving Miss Daisy and the outlaws, about 40 klms out of town and she'd, the friend, be waiting at the junction of her 'Soi' and the main road into town ... ha!

Arrived at the town and, of course no lady ... Grrrrrrrr (inside) smile.png (outside)

Waiting, waiting and then finally an arrival ... clap2.gif

Well, her 'Soi' is apparently 16 klms long and she has decided that since she has driven this distance into town ... it was market shopping time ... oh, the joys of traveling in Thailand.

So the lady and my gf toddle off leaving me, and the two Thai parents in the car ... a long silence ... and a new appreciation on my behalf of Thai Country Music ... I'm still smiling ... externally!

I'll give it to the girls ... 30 mins and the shopping's done, food reward treats for us left in the car and all are happy. I'm even happier when my lady gives the change from the 500 Baht I gave for some food ... and it wasn't all coin either ... some folding notes also. Plus they bought me 2 Leos.

We actually had a reasonably heated discussion in the car between my lady and myself as whether to buy any beer ... the Thai folks wouldn't have understood a word ... but would have picked up on the vibe.

Words exchanged and acknowledged ... it's all good, lets move on.

... and move on we did.

Narrow winding road, a smattering of rich and poor housing ... nothing of note ... nothing new to photo.

One turn off the larger road, then another, each time the road narrows, each time the wonders of Thai road maintainance are enjoyed through the suspension ... luckily my natural seat padding is greater then the other occupants of the car ... whistling.gif

But while the road might narrow, my eyes widen in the panorama that presents itself.

My god it's beautiful up there ... stunning.

Where, before, you felt as is a dirty corridor driving with decaying structures and feral vegetation lining the walls, blocking your view ... those walls drop away to reveal glittering rice paddies up to the foothill of the modest mountains we are driving towards.

Now I know why you live where you live ... thumbsup.gif

No photos ... but just imagine any one of VF's panoramic landscapes and you have what present visually through the windscreen.

While the hire car wasn't fitted with a sat nav ... I did have voices in my head (my left ear actually) ... "eyes on the road David."

"Yes dear" was the automatic response.

Finally, after some 25 mins of driving the narrow twisting side roads, the concrete road ceases to exist and we have 'arrived'. Quite where, to this day, I couldn't tell you.

But this arrival gave me an experience that I never had before ... a small Thai Village.

Nestled in the foothills of the mountain range which have now disappeared behind the Teak plantation.

I've read what the members describe as a village atmosphere ... but I've never personally experienced it. Here, where ever that was maybe 20 odd dwelling I could see from my limited vantage point. Mostly 'rustic', certainly all 'hand built' by the proud owners, friends and neighbours.

Roosters running the road, children playing on the road as if it was their backyard ... and it was probably the only firm dry surface to be had.

So many children ... so many mosquitoes ... and me without my cream ...

The village atmosphere took my cares away, the approach scenery, my breath away ... and the mosquitoes, my blood away.

Now, I did try and warn the little suckers that I lived in England during the 80's and, as a result, I am barred from donating blood in Australia due to the fact that my rich red stuff might be tainted with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or as we ordinary folk refer to it as ... mad cow disease.

They didn't seem to mind.

Nor did the growing crowd near where I parked the car ... where did all the children come from?

There ain't that many houses!

This when the portable sat nav (my gf) tugged on my shirt sleeve and said something along the lines ... they’ve come to check out the Farang ... and they did, very subtly, glancing, not staring. Curiosity fulfilled, returning to the street games or disappearing into the rural surrounds.

So, just who did we travel this distance to see?

post-104736-0-17927800-1361233946_thumb.

One of my gf's friends ... blink.png

Yes, they had seen each other not a month beforehand in Bangkok.

But here they were, together in Chiang Rai ... who would have thought?

Certainly an opportunity not to be missed ... rolleyes.gif

The Farm Father also likes her and I have to say ... she is as nice in person as she is in the photo.

The smile is real.

The warmth of the village greeting was real.

The fuss that was made by her and her family over me was real.

You can plan the best holiday, research the best sites ... but the Thais have an affinity for people.

And you know what ... it was a highlight of the trip.

Lovely people

Lovely food

Lovely atmosphere

not Lovely mosquitoes

Lovely fans to dissuade the mosquitoes flight path ... and a now happy David.

Lot's of chatter, all in Thai, some furtive glances my way, some giggles and smiles as they natter about themselves ... it's all good.

Then it's a 'Honey, any chance of that beer soon?'

'David, remember you are driving' ... as if I could forget the obvious ... ermm.gif

Apologies VF ... I didn't mean to write a novel ... just came out that way.

But I do have to pause there for a while as the lovely lassie flies into my country tomorrow and I live in a Bachelors’ pad ... hence a quick clean of the bathroom, the washing of both sheets and plates a requirement.

Luckily it's bin day tomorrow and the garbage man can whisk away all those take-away containers and I can present myself as that wholesome clean living guy that I have portrayed to her.

With your permission, when I get a bit more time, I'll finish the story.

Apologies VF ... I didn't mean to write a novel ... just came out that way.

But I do have to pause there for a while as the lovely lassie flies into my country tomorrow and I live in a Bachelors’ pad ... hence a quick clean of the bathroom, the washing of both sheets and plates a requirement.

Luckily it's bin day tomorrow and the garbage man can whisk away all those take-away containers and I can present myself as that wholesome clean living guy that I have portrayed to her.

With your permission, when I get a bit more time, I'll finish the story.

Please continue, I am loving every word.smile.pngwai.gif It has been well worth the wait.wink.png

So ... what is some beer without music?

Well, I have also heard about this before where the sleepy village is stirred by someone with an amplifier more suited to a football stadium then a timber home and base woofer speakers closer to the size of the dish of the Australian

which tracked
... w00t.gif

With the music blaring, I looked to the lassie as the neighbour started to

and she gave me the usual 'shrugged shoulders' and said that he was 'jai dee', his good heart to share his music with us.

I don't care ... I was still thinking <deleted> ... with this plick (you know that 'l's are often prounced as 'r's up this way) so my smile goes from smile.png to biggrin.png The audio assult lasted only 20 mins ... thank Christ.

But ... I digress as my beer was being fetched by my lovely. Actually the beer must be quite special up in the Rai as sometimes alcoholic beverages come with a written warning ... but mine came with an audio warning ... 'David, remember you are driving' - 'Yes dear'.

I thought that sat navs usually are turned off when the ignition is switched off.

But, I forgot ... I got the portable one ... rolleyes.gif

The gathering was remarkable for the fact that it was unremarkable.

The only drinker was me and at 105 kilos ... 2 tallies of Leo was not going to set me on fire ... my names not smokie ... laugh.png

They did bring out a food dish which I knew from the pomp and ceremony surrounding it that, even it it tasted like 5 day old road kill, I was to show puzzlement as to what it was, take a small piece, smell briefly before chowing down and then proclaiming quite audibly 'arooy marrk' and taking a second piece to show my sincerity.

But I was genuinely surprised when such thoughtfulls was given to the most humble of Thai dishes ... rice.

But not just any ole' rice this was ... it was purple rice.

So I oohed and aahed with the best of them ... but still puzzled as why they place such a high accord to this ... any answers out there?

So an unremarkable dinner with remarkable people - you can see some of the best of Thailand up this way.

The reason that I returned early to this is that domestics are finished sooner then planned.

The lounge room is till a bit iffy ... but while out shopping I bought a nice peice of steak and plently of fresh mushrooms ... she likes nothing better then this sizziling in ample butter.

So, if the home doesn't pass muster, all will be forgiven when the food is presented.

So, a progess report on her flight ... for those interested ...

post-104736-0-34681600-1361262286_thumb.

She's flying BKK-SIN SIN-my local airport in Australia

As unremarkable was the dinner, so to the drive home.

Ma and Pa Kettle well asleep in the back seat, almost as soon as the legal cruising speed was reached on the main road back into town.

My portable sat nav also found her mute button and I was able to gently ween the radio off it's recent diet of Thai country Folk back onto more modern Thai music ... which I have to say, just quietly, I like.

So much so that I will find it on the internet now ... one moment ... stay tuned (pun intended!)

103.5 Like FM* ... my lassies choice for listening in Australia and I have no reason to disagree with her.

The drive was enhanced later with Pa Kettle stirring from his slumber to ask me 'Why Thailand?'.

To anyone reading this ... insert any complementary answer you wish ... except for the 'you have a very attractive daughter' reply ... I think that diplomatic relations would have been severed at that point ... rolleyes.gif

Now my Thai is limited to about 20 words all up, so had to unmute the sat nav for some bi-lingual translation.

What never ceases to amaze me is that I would say ... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla, draw breath and then add bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

My sat nav (Thai gf) would contemplate my Pearls of Wisdom for a second or two and then she would say bla bla bla in Thai.

Of course, there would be a pregnant pause while I waited for her to finish the translation as I was talking for a solid 40 seconds and she spoke for 4 seconds at best. But nothing ... just look and me and say 'finished', indicating that she had finished translating all that I said.

Then she would just smile to me and say ... Honey, Thai language very simple ... blink.png

post-104736-0-83574100-1361264784_thumb.

Flight Radar update

* But should this station not be to your liking the complete list can be found here ... but just click the link 'listen live' and not the station web page hyperlink.

Thanks for these trip report, guys, as they give me an insight into how a tourist see things.

I look forward to making my first trip to Chiang Rai in July this year, so this thread is of great interest to me.

So thank you smokie, David and jazzed for your reports and look forward to seeing many more.

Also thank you to VF and the other local members as their comments do help fill in the big picture.

wai.gif

^^ You can borrow my portable sat nav if you want ... whistling.gif

Have one of my own, thanks.....sad.png

Must admit, when in Thailand, she does all the driving now.

When the time comes, I'll just sit back and enjoy the views...wink.png

^^ You can borrow my portable sat nav if you want ... whistling.gif

Have one of my own, thanks.....sad.png

Must admit, when in Thailand, she does all the driving now.

When the time comes, I'll just sit back and enjoy the views...wink.png

BTW ... how are those 2 knees? Still strong?

Can't not see your Avatar and not think of cucumber sandwiches, coffee and salt ... tongue.png

VF ... it's a long story.

Real stories, written by real people, in their own words, with their own unique style and flair. I could not have hoped for anything more when starting this thread. You have surpassed my greatest expectations. Thank you.wai.gif

My one worry is that you may have set the bar a bit high for some. Then again it may not be a bad thing to aim a bit higher and expect a bit more of ourselves on occasion. I hope others will tell their own stories in their own ways.smile.png

Is it my imagination, David, or do some of your references sound vaguely familiar?wink.png

Real stories, written by real people, in their own words, with their own unique style and flair. I could not have hoped for anything more when starting this thread. You have surpassed my greatest expectations. Thank you.wai.gif

My one worry is that you may have set the bar a bit high for some. Then again it may not be a bad thing to aim a bit higher and expect a bit more of ourselves on occasion. I hope others will tell their own stories in their own ways.smile.png

Is it my imagination, David, or do some of your references sound vaguely familiar?wink.png

You realise VF that my story hasn't got past the first day yet!

References familiar - only the cricketing ones ... though we might have to chat 'off-line' if it goes deeper then that!

As for raising the bar high ... I felt a tad guilty as you gave me all that good information, both on my OP and in a PM and a debt was owed ... and soon will be repaid.

Actually blame smokie (sorry ole' chap) as he has lots of great photos ... so I had to do something different.

The old man (Farm Father) is one tuff nut. Ex Navy and lost his leg below his knee when an IUD went off when he was serving down south.

post-104736-0-81940800-1361282456_thumb.

He didn't know I snuck around the back of him for this photo.

The trip was also about a bonding process with him.

He's a very strong male figure in that household. I had to tread very carefully so, on one hand, not as to offend him, but also to assert my own unique influence because I'm certainly no doormat.

It was an excellent result all round.

post-104736-0-71409300-1361282779_thumb.

BTW ... the Eagle has landed (in Singapore)

Next stop Australia ... smile.png

khun day ask me to write here little bit

we go to Doi Tung, it was very beautiful

for us, out heart feel good there

much honour for us to see where our King mother live

alll thai people want to visit this place ka

I not have many words same khun Day but have photo from garden

I hope you like

post-151569-0-01003700-1361392924_thumb.

post-151569-0-11704000-1361393079_thumb.

post-151569-0-78764500-1361393193_thumb.

post-151569-0-06322200-1361393364_thumb.

post-151569-0-42037600-1361393447_thumb.

post-151569-0-72413800-1361393871_thumb.

Archived