villagefarang

khun day ask me to write here little bit

we go to Doi Tung, it was very beautiful

for us, out heart feel good there

much honour for us to see where our King mother live

alll thai people want to visit this place ka

I not have many words same khun Day but have photo from garden

I hope you like

While “Khun Day” may have been endowed with a larger vocabulary and a flair for using it, you have him beat on all other counts, so don’t give it a second thought.wink.png Thanks for reminding us what a special place Doi Tung is, especially for Thai people.wai.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well ... I don't know whether to thank my other half or not with those photos ... I was saving the sweets till last ... ermm.gif ... and just between you and me ... she is a sweet Lassie ... wub.png

However she did do what is difficult for me ... she posted the photos with her and her family in them ... thumbsup.gif

With our trip report, maybe we better get a move on, or this will start to run into blethering proportions!

Humm ... where were we?

Ah, that's right, driving the sat nav and Ma n Pa Kettle back to the Hotel from visiting their friends place near the base of Mt Fuji.

Thailand never ceases to surprise for the positive.

Pulling into the home straight we were confronted by lots BiB, flashing lights etc ... and a partial road closure.

What we happened upon with the local Loy Kathong parade (a few days early, but it was a Saturday night, so the best time for the kids).

The police had closed off half the road ... but left our direction of travel passable.

Nice slow drive past the illuminated floats, lot's of smiling school kids ... lot's of effort into the floats.

Made me think ... if only equal effort could be then focused into their school studies ... whistling.gif

Up to the rooms and a confirmation to Ma and Pa Kettle as to what time to meet in the morning for breakfast.

Pa Kettle pipes up and suggests that we are on holiday and should delay meeting till at least 7am ... blink.png

For perspective, he's a fish farmer which requires a 3 am wake-up to check the oxygen levels in the Fish ponds and starting machinery if the oxygen levels are thought to be low.

I suggested 8am might be closer to the bill ... so we agree on 7.30am for breaking the fast.

Fast forward through to the next morning, my lady suggests a little earlier then 7.30 to connect up and Pa Kettle doesn't like to be kept waiting.

Down the corridor to their room, a knock on their hotel room door and we opened ...

... we opened the door to a refrigerator. I swear it was the coldest hotel room I've ever stepped into!

Before I left the night before, I set the remotes' thermostat temperature to 24C ... a little cooler then I usually run them but you know the Kettles will enjoy the novelty of the Air-Con.

Well, I don't know what setting Pa found on the remote ... but it would bring the tempture down somewhere to 'suitable if you are a penguin' with maximum wing chill (fan at the highest setting) ... god bless them.

They were smiling and happy and who am I to say that it's different then me ... so you must be wrong!

post-104736-0-54636400-1361485147_thumb.

So, this is Pa's shack where he sleeps at the Farm. It's positioned there away from the actual Farmhouse but between the Fish ponds he attends. Tough ole' nut Pa Kettle is!

So the Air-Con was Pa's party trick ... what did Ma Kettle have install for us.

Of course, something domestically based ... she had used the bum gun to clean the shower and toilet and then proceeded to instruct my lassie to inform the staff that there was no need to clean the bathroom as she had done it.

You got to love them ... biggrin.png

Seems my final diatribe needs a balance with a few photos.

So ...

post-104736-0-16945200-1361617532_thumb.

Vantage point on the road up to Doi Tung

post-104736-0-46598600-1361617576_thumb.

Rotating the camera 180 degrees.

At this vantage point, there were toilets and some small stalls.

I lashed out and bought Farm Mother a purple shawl as it was a bit cool up there.

post-104736-0-78565000-1361618068_thumb.

Cost me 180 Baht ... not expensive considering the location.

Farm Mother ... tickled purple she was.

Some people may not find value with a visit to Doi Tung ... but for a Thai Family ... it's a must see if they can.

The Mae Fah Luang Gardens are always well patroned

post-104736-0-30653900-1361618364_thumb.

post-104736-0-04209500-1361618404_thumb.

post-104736-0-99492600-1361618321_thumb.

... and the Royal Villa is a must for all Thais. Think for a Thai to walk in the shadow of a Royal.

But the third interest point is not mentioned much so I will concentrate on this as the other two can be easily searched on the internet.

The Hall of Inspiration ... is dedicated to the Royal Family with a specific focus on their contribution in
the area.

post-104736-0-20849300-1361618652_thumb.

post-104736-0-80614700-1361618670_thumb.

post-104736-0-41305500-1361618672_thumb.

post-104736-0-45648400-1361618674_thumb.

You can buy a ticket for all three venues.

If planning to go to the Royal Villa ... sort of the same dress code as visiting the Grand Palace etc.

For the men ... if you are in shorts, they supply, free of charge, some Farmers Denims.

From there we headed towards Chiang Rai and spent a few hours at the White Palace ... but everyone has seen or knows about that.

Hope you enjoyed readin the wee trip.

BTW ... have decided to retain the portable Sat Nav as she is kinds of nice ... wub.png

Ma and Pa Kettle loved the trip ... mission impossible as thought by some ... an enjoyable trip with the (potential) out-laws ... but it can be done ... wai.gif

Thanks for your trip report, David. Enjoyed the read and also the photos.

Also, thank MissFarmGirl for her contribution, as VF said

"Thanks for reminding us what a special place Doi Tung is, especially for Thai people."

wai.gif

Some people may not find value with a visit to Doi Tung ... but for a Thai Family ... it's a must see if they can.

For the men ... if you are in shorts, they supply, free of charge, some Farmers Denims.

For the visiting foreigner who might think Thais are discriminating against their shorts and hairy legs, everyone is required to dress appropriately.thumbsup.gif

So now I am wondering who will be next to regale us with their story of visiting Chiang Rai?

Bangkok%2520Girls%2520%2520006.jpg

For the visiting foreigner who might think Thais are discriminating against their shorts and hairy legs, everyone is required to dress appropriately.thumbsup.gif

Agreed and their code is quite strict.

Notice the lenght of Farm Mothers' jeans ... can just see the ankle showing.

post-104736-0-75644900-1361655795_thumb.

post-104736-0-31810800-1361655797_thumb.

We both were made to wear the supplied denims

Any members, out there, have a report on their visit to Chiang Rai?

I am very keen to hear what people have to say, so that I know what to expect

and sights that are a must to see from a visitors point of view, for when I make my trip.

Look forward to seeing something soon.

Any members, out there, have a report on their visit to Chiang Rai?

I am very keen to hear what people have to say, so that I know what to expect

and sights that are a must to see from a visitors point of view, for when I make my trip.

Look forward to seeing something soon.

I feel the same as you kevjohn.

After having read all these wonderful posts made by the residents i already decided to make this trip, very soon..

• 2 weeks later...

Bump........any more trip reports.

I am on the count down to when I make my trip and wondering if anyone else has something to add.

Would really appreciate more information from visitors to Chiang Rai.....

wai.gif

I am on the count down to when I make my trip and wondering if anyone else has something to add.

wai.gif

Looks like we may be waiting around for your trip report.wink.pngbiggrin.png

wai.gif

Looks like we may be waiting around for your trip report.wink.pngbiggrin.png

Dancealot mentioned that he was heading to Chiang Rai........maybe he will post before I go.

ttheblether is rumoured to be heading up there soon

Just thought you deserved a warning at least. tongue.png

He should to be good for a few pages and thanks for the warning.wink.png

not sure "good for a few pages" is a great choice of words...our theblether can be a very very bad boy.

If our paths cross, I'm sure we could have some very interesting conversations.........over a cup of coffee.wink.png

wai.gif

Do you want to come along? PM me

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Villagefarang

Thanks for the message - below is a slightly rehashed version of a message i posted at the retirecheapasia forum re my first Chiang rai trip:

-----------------

Hi All

I am really enjoying chiang rai - very impressed so far:

- love the weather – its actually cool in the mornings and even the mid day/afternoons are pleasant – WAY cooler than ubon ( i have been living in Ubon Ratchatani prior this trip) . I wonder if the haze from the burn offs make it cooler (less u.v. , not sure)

- lots of farangs here in town (not sure if thats good or not!, just an observation)

-Place has a nice relaxed 'vibe' , pleasant people, easy to get around – taxis cheap, tuk tuks everywhere and easy walking city – you can actually walk on the footpaths – in Ubon the footpaths are extensions of peoples shops generally so i walk on road most of time..

- foods great (had delicious breakfasts/dinners) and diverse and lots of western food available (unlike ubon) , catering for the tourists

- i ended up staying a Janson house – 450 baht per night in Jet Rod rd but quieter end – not a bad room , clean a/c (not that ive needed it) and great location – recommended!

- one of my favourite things in life is exploring countryside – hired a bike yesterday (push bike) for 100 baht. Easy to get out of C.R. city and into gorgeous very picturesque countryside. Love it – met a few friendly folk on the ride – lots of great drink places to stop at even in the 'middle of nowwhere'.. great fun

- went to Mae Salong – in the hills outside CR – wow amazingly beautiful scenery – even with the haze.. tea plantations etc. Sweet Mae salong coffee/lunch place has the yummiest toasted panini ive ever had – yum!

- coffee – one of my other loves. Ive tried Doi Chiang (sorry if mispelt) and many other coffee shops but, sadly, havent found a place as good as a few places in Ubon – surprising – coffee quite bitter hear (im a coffee snob for sure – im think most other people would say the coffee's great here)

-Doi Tung gardens, nth C.R. amazing and well worth the visit, really beautiful

- i asked a policeman (very friendly got who helped me when i was scrutinising my map one day and probably looking hopelessly lost) re riding motorbike without licence – he said as long as i ride slow and show them my Aussie licence if stopped shouldnt be a problem for a few days…hmmm, think i'll stick to the push bike anyway – most of the motorcycle rental places i asked at didnt have insurance (or minimal), so all round dont think i'll risk it..

Couple of other great things in CR

You will DIE ( i guarantee it) , as in go to heaven, when u visit Thamma Da Day Spa ( Chivit http://www.facebook.com/pages/CHIVIT-THAMMA-DA-DAY-SPA/156767641082230) its on the river bank – it reminds me of stepping back to a country retreat in the 1800's in England. A magnificently restored timber home with breathtaking gardens and a huge beautiful balcony – they serve the BEST food and drinks (no, this is NOT a paid commercial).. wow – i cycled there twice now for lunch – go in the week as busy on weekend (rightly so)…might go back today

Also, i went (the coffee desperate in me) to Doi chaang factory yesterday – abt 70km from CR up the top of a beautiful mountain – there they grow coffee and process/roast it – bit weird – i got there and it was pretty much deserted other than a room with about 20 young ladies hand sorting coffee beans – so i gave myself a tour (Thailands great – anywhere else in the world people would ask what you were doing..) walked around all the machinery and various buildings – good stuff! Beautiful scenery up there and on the way there. The coffee shop up there made a GREAT coffee – at last! (so had 2 of them). I got a driver to take me for 1200 baht – great day out.

Today we (my friend from Ubon's visiting) hired a motorbike - went out past the golf course (Santibury -stopped there , lovely clubhouse) for drink, lunch, then rode around breathtaking countryside - and then did some crosscountry/off road (unintended!!) to a temple perched on top of mountain - amazing trip and temple when we got there!

- so pretty impressed. i think i could live a relaxed lifestyle here quite a while

Cheers

Marty

If our paths cross, I'm sure we could have some very interesting conversations.........over a cup of coffee.wink.png

For how long you heading up CR way kevjohn?

For how long you heading up CR way kevjohn?

If all goes to plan, my wife and I should be up Chiang Rai way, the middle of June.(17th)

Hope to spend 4 or 5 day there.

The Doi Chang coffee is great......it's a nice wee find when your up there. I'll not be up that way for a few weeks at least, I'm heading down to the Cameron Highlands in a couple of weeks then I've got a wedding to attend in Isaan mid May. I quite fancy the idea of rolling in to town when Kevjohn is there but don't tell him I said that, he may change his plans at the last minute. biggrin.png

Archived